Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Running Boards

ALake

I quite fancy sticking some running boards/steps to my rav, and a lot of the manufacturers claim they just bolt straight on (ie like these http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/toyota-rav4-2006-2013-aluminium-and-stainless-steel-running-boards-1)

Question is, are there any mounting points for these just to bolt straight onto? I don't fancy drilling etc so was just after peoples opinions on how easy these are to fit (assuming I don't just buy some generic ones)

Hi A, don't know about your motor but on mine I just had to pull plugs out of pre-threaded holes and then bolt on what is best described as a piece of angle iron .

Then three brackets were bolted on to this to bolt the actual step on

These were,by the way,OEM steps

Del

Mines a 2008 XTR, and I'm hoping its like yours, i.e with pre-threaded holes. The ones I'm looking at seem to match your description (some brackets that fit to the body and the steps fit to them)

I've never fitted these sort of things before, just curious to know how easy it easy before lobbing £200 or so!

The plugs on mine were on the vertical section at the back of the sill and if I remember right they were about one inch round, if yours are the same they should be easy to spot

Hope this helps you

Del

Mines a 2008 XTR, and I'm hoping its like yours, i.e with pre-threaded holes. The ones I'm looking at seem to match your description (some brackets that fit to the body and the steps fit to them)

I've never fitted these sort of things before, just curious to know how easy it easy before lobbing £200 or so!

I've had sidesteps on all our RAV's, 4.2's & 4.3, and recently fitted them to the 4.3. Always had Toyota OEM's as they are excellent quality and are robust enough to actually be stood on (unlike some after-market ones).

The OEM's are more expensive than others but the quality is miles better. I wouldn't waste my money on any of the after-market steps.

I confess I've not priced toyota ones. I can't imagine them being that much better than the aftermarket ones though.

Take it from somebody with first hand experience of Toyota wans and "aftermarket" .........the aftermarket efforts were utter pish, and could be mis-shaped by a kick. Try lifting the Toyota steps, never mind kicking them........more than double the weight with totally overkill cast steel brackets.

Believe me........some wee aerial thief or similar will try to play Elliot Ness on yer sideys, and the cheapos will bend.

• Like 1

I have just fitted some original Toyota ones to my 2010 Rav. Not the posh ones as I wanted to retain my mud flaps but the older style. I got some off fleabay for £189 as new but no box. Fitting was easy just bolt on some heavy angle iron to the mounting points. If you look underneath inboard of the will there are some elongated holes with rubber plugs in. The bolt heads are also elongated and are turned through 90 deg before tightening. The only thing that the instructions failed to mention were partial removal of the plastic under trays to allow the angle close to the the inboard sill. I fitted mine in about an hour without jacking up the vehicle. The toyota ones are heavy though. Check out Toyota technical website for fitting instructions.

I never thought of mudflaps! Mines got the toyota ones on so I'd better check whether they'd still fit with running boards on!

Kev,

You do bring a chuckle to my cheeks with your comments and anecdotes :clap:

You are 100% correct, I have had a few genuine Rav4 and Lexus boards and went for the originals in the end through bad experiences with aftermarket crap.

My advice is...wait a while longer, save up a few quid more and buy the originals.

Bobby

I've just couriered the 2 T180 wheels that I was selling for £25 - courier is definitely the way forward.

Plus I am sure that there is a bit of room for negotiation ;)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the Mr T ones weigh?

According to the installation instructions - 9.8kg.........

Thing is Martin, the 'Stylish side steps' instructions show 23kg so I'm guessing the true weight of the standard steps is 9.8Kg each making 19.6kg for the pair. Having fitted them I reckon that is nearer the truth.

Thank you David

Davrav quoting a recently well discussed misprint from Toyota's instructions, Martin.........3 of the mounting bracket castings come to more than 9.8kg ffs.....!

Edit......overlapped David above by 4 minutes.

Okay, but even at 20kg that gives me a better idea to get a price from a courier

Edit - just seen your post Kev - does anyone know the true weight including brackets, etc, is it 20kg?

Don't forget to get the dimension if the finished packaged item to be shipped, as its just not the weight, but the amount of space it takes up in the overnight shipping cages and the delivery van. They do tend to charge a bit more for unusual shaped items as they are more difficult to handle.

Okay, but even at 20kg that gives me a better idea to get a price from a courier

Edit - just seen your post Kev - does anyone know the true weight including brackets, etc, is it 20kg?

For Sale.......set of bathroom scales....lol.

Kev, if you have ones that are about 3ft long then I'll take em :D

That makes me think these £190 ones on eBay etc with free delivery must only be worth £150!

...........and Kingo will send ye real ones for a tenner.......plus the price of the far superior steps, of course.

Buy them wans aff Blue Monnister.......you will not regret it.

...........and Kingo will send ye real ones for a tenner.......plus the price of the far superior steps, of course.

Buy them wans aff Blue Monnister.......you will not regret it.

Agree 101% with BK.

I spent a lot of time recently researching sidesteps from all the main after market suppliers, most of whom advertise in the 4x4 press and I came back to my existing conclusion that the OEM Toyota steps are way better than anything else. For me it was then a toss-up between the traditional ones and the Stylish version (at about £100 more).

In the end I came down in favour of the trads as I like their chunky looks. You won't be disappointed with either of the OEM's, especially a few years down the track when they will still look as good as new.