Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please

dmytnik

Have a 97 corolla 1.6 5 speed and i get a rattling knocking sound when i load the motor....if i leave on parking brake and slowly let out clutch i will. Hear it...but it wont make noise when doing it right ....also hear it when in 4th at about 40mph and tap the gas on and off i hear it

Hi,

Could be many things, but the most obvious one on an old, high mileage car is pre ignition, known as 'pinking'

When you are doing low revs and put you foot down you hear a metalic type of tinkle; once the car is moving well and the engine reving freely the noise is gone.

The basic cause could be several things, mostly the timing has gone out for some reason or the combustion chamber has too many carbon deposits, ie a decoke is needed.

Other things could be some damage /wear to the clutch assembly /release bearing.

If you get on a flat or slight uphill road and trundel along at say 40 mph in 4th gear and then put you foot 2/3rd the way down you should then hear the typical knocking / tinkle of pinking.

If no sound there, and it only happens when you operate the clutch thats the more likely source of the problem.

I only hear it when i start the car i hear it for a second if i rev engine it sounds fine its like a rattle like my exhaust it hitting against somthing or a loose motor mount nothing in the drivetrain feels bad

I only hear it when i start the car i hear it for a second if i rev engine it sounds fine its like a rattle like my exhaust it hitting against somthing or a loose motor mount nothing in the drivetrain feels bad

Hi,

Think you have answered your own question there...

You just need to get under and take a look... or take it to a garage with a lift so they can really examine it.