Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance - Wheels And Tuning Box?

Stupidmia

Hi

My insurance is due for renewal with Admiral and I am not happy with the price and the fact that they told me 6 month ago that they didn't allow the fitting of tuning boxes anymore (and I do still fancy one)!

So...firstly, I am looking for any recommendations for companies that you know .do' allow you to fit them (and at what costs)?

Secondly, it has been a while since I got rid of the dreaded BSRs and went to normal tyres on the same rims. When I did this, I explained to Admiral and they were alright with it, they don't even mention it on my policy docs as a modification. Now i am trawling through comparison sites and insurance companies for quotes, I keep coming up against the question of 'has your car been modified from standard spec?'. A couple of times I have ticked yes and put in a comment about how it is now running on standard wheels, just like the later Rav4 models. But, this then throws up problems with the quote!!

Do I even still have to mention this at all? Is it really classed as a mod?

Cheers

Patrick

Meant to say that comparison sites are throwing up some good prices for AA and Sheilas wheels (but without mentioning wheels or performance mods)

If BSR's were part of the standard Toyota spec for your car, any change from that should be mentioned.

Try Toyota Owners Club Insurance.

Comes down to simplistics, mate.......stop ticking boxes and phone the insurance people direct.....a computer is exactly that.......a machine with pre set parameters, so don't confuse it. Then you may even get a wee boy or lassie who thinks you are speaking Swahili (or Glesga to some London folk who just don't listen and keep sayin "paddin?" , whatever TF that is....) so ask to be escalated to a techy speak person. I did this with my insurance, paid a bit extra for the Lindop Chip, and explained aboot the Flunrats being removed. Not a problem. Also stress that the fitting of the Chip is for fuel saving purposes.....worked for me, but may be age dependent too.

I am loathe to discuss on open forum what I was charged for the Chip Kit being fitted, coz I am convinced that I will just be helping another insurance company fix or amend their prices to suit. "Can ah ask you sir......how much is your insurance" really pisses me off, mins.....

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies....it does seem it will be better to phone them....need to put a bit of quiet time aside to do so.

Out of interest...I got quite a good provisional quote from Adrian Flux online....before I call them to discuss....what are they like to deal with?

Liverpool Victoria...very good.

As long as the wheels and size are the same they don't class it as a mod, just mention no longer run flat system.

I have different size wheels from factory spec for use as winter tyres so classed as a mod (spacers fitted also but comes under same section as wheel mod and also a chip fitted. So for two mods about £60 extra. But premium was one of the best. Did mine through comparison site and allowed me to list mods.

Style pack as a dealer fitted option was not classed as a mod.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies....it does seem it will be better to phone them....need to put a bit of quiet time aside to do so.

Out of interest...I got quite a good provisional quote from Adrian Flux online....before I call them to discuss....what are they like to deal with?

I haven't used them but when I had a fast Subaru a lot of forum members used them as they were good for dealing with modifications. Worth a discussion I would think.

David

• Like 1

Meant to say that comparison sites are throwing up some good prices for AA and Sheilas wheels (but without mentioning wheels or performance mods)

Sheilas Wheels is part of Esure who I am with. My premium is very low & the customer service is very good but they are not mod friendly (even winter tyres if fitted to anything other than the wheels that the car came with). I may well leave them over this come renewal as I would like to fit both winter wheels & a chip kit.

• Like 1

Too be honest.....AF (underwritten by Trinity Lane insurance) is half the premium of the next best quote that will allow me to have a tuning box....in fact it is £80 cheaper than best quote for our Fiat 500 TA!! Even excesses are total of £200.

It is significantly lower than any quotes (without a tuning box) I got from all the comparison sites!!!!

It is so low it sounds too good to be true?

Its got me worried there maybe a catch (and is it the underwriter...hmmm?)

Trinity Lane Insurance is a Malta based company. You can have a look at their policy documents at their website: http://www.trinitylane.co.uk/

If you read the About Us section, they're members of organisations like the Motor Insurance Bureau and the Association of British Insurers, etc. You can access their policy documents at the 'Products' section.

Non-UK based insurers are nothing new. For example Saga Insurance is based in Gibralter.

• Like 1

I went with M & S this year as it was £ 134.00 fully comp.

Bargain B)

M&S car insurance is through BISL - which acts as an intermediary (a broker). BISL also arrange insurance for people like Barclays, Bradford & Bingley, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, Post Office, and RAC.

They also own the comparison site 'Compare the Market'.

Just got quote from Post Office for our Fiat 500 and found that adding the modification of 'side stripe stickers' adds over £80/yr to premium!!!!!

I went with M & S this year as it was £ 134.00 fully comp.

Bargain B)

Haaaate yooooooouu!!! (£528, esure :crybaby:)

Insurance sorted now...now includes performance mod in the guise of a tuning box!!

Just need to get one sorted before the new insurance starts on the 28th....vrooooom!!