Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Health Check At Main Dealers

cootuk

http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/hybrid-health-check

Looks like a new offering?

"A free Hybrid Health Check is now included with any Hybrid Service. But if you're not due a service for a while you can still benefit from the Hybrid Health Check at a cost of £39.

This great value is combined with the added benefit of an extension to the warranty of your Battery. With each Hybrid Health Check you will get up to 1 year or 10,000 miles extension (whichever comes soonest) on your hybrid Battery cover which can be renewed up to the 10th anniversary of the car's registration with no limit on total mileage"

Cheers for that. I checked this with the main dealers back in Sept/Oct when I had my car serviced and they said it didn't exist.

Perhaps it didn't then, but as I have a full service history on my car, it'll be ok I'm sure. Provides upto 10,000 miles a year (me) and upto 10 years of age (mine is only 4).

This is a good idea for peace of mind.

Well done Toyota.

ps. can we have this link as a sticky?

When did this come in? And does it apply to new cars or just those out of warranty? For example, a new car gets 8 years / 100k on hybrid system, so two health checks will allow 10 years & 120k?

Not impressed, I only had the first service two weeks ago. Might be worth a phone call on Monday, see if they'll make an exception.

When did this come in? And does it apply to new cars or just those out of warranty? For example, a new car gets 8 years / 100k on hybrid system, so two health checks will allow 10 years & 120k?

Not impressed, I only had the first service two weeks ago. Might be worth a phone call on Monday, see if they'll make an exception.

If you have a full Toyota service history then it'll have probably already been done. If you are lucky to have the 8 year 100k warranty, then again you only get the extra 2 years.

If you got stung with the 5 years/60,000 mile Battery warranty like I did for the first 12 months of the gen3, resulting in much reduced trade in values, you will find it added peace of mind. We now all have a 10 year HV Battery warranty, all of us, just like they get in the US (if you comply with the terms).

Any bad name because of failing batteries could ruin the whole hybrid brand in the UK. I personally think it was getting that way due to posts on here and priuschat, and this extra warranty helps non commercial drivers, the man in the street who just uses the car for small journeys even if they've bought a high mileage one.

Hang on. I'm reading this differently now. Am I reading it right;

If you buy a high mileage 4 year old Prius with say 92,000 miles. You could get an extension to 10 years unlimited mileage so long as you either get it main dealer servicing every 10,000 miles OR if you get it serviced elsewhere, so long as you pay £39 every 10,000 miles?

So even a taxi driver doing 30,000 miles a year could potentially run their car with main dealer servicing happy that the HV Battery will be covered upto 10 years?

Sounds good to me.

Anyone from Toyota care to confirm in full?

Hybrid Inverter not covered.

Hybrid transaxle not covered.

Hybrid electric motors not covered.

Hybrid ECUs not covered.

Peace of mind not covered :dontgetit:

Hybrid Inverter not covered.

Hybrid transaxle not covered.

Hybrid electric motors not covered.

Hybrid ECUs not covered.

Peace of mind not covered :dontgetit:

Yeah but I now have a new inverter :)

The transaxle is expensive but it's the same as an auto box on a Mondeo or Passat. They fail about 160,000 miles or so, so I guess the Prius will be the same.

Electric motors are in the transaxle so again it's the same as above.

ECU's? Mine have all been replaced already lol.

I think the reports of premature failing HV batteries on GEN3 taxis used in Europe (failing between 80k and 120k miles) might have had something to do with this change. The priuschat forum is read by many from Toyota US and Japan and other influential people. The large posts about Euro Prius cabs failing and drivers angst at that must have rung a bell somewhere.

I remember reading this last time I had mine serviced (sep 2013), the dealers were totally unaware of it and told me they would get in touch with Toyota GB. They called me back later saying it wasn't offered in the UK and only applies to EU - I told them the UK was part of the EU!

Glad its available in the UK now.

I've got mine booked in this Friday. Had a previous appt but my Toyota dealer had problems with the software at that time but this now seems to be resolved. I'll post my findings after Friday's appt.

It's been that way in Denmark for at least a year.

It's been that way in Denmark for at least a year.

It has been that way in many parts of Europe for about that time apparently. I posted a link on here not so long ago about Norway giving upto nearly 200,000 miles of warranty for commercial users.

Whatever the reasons, it's good news to protect Toyotas hybrid reputation. Any owner who either get the car serviced at a main dealer or pay the nominal £39, will get upto 10 years of HV Battery warranty. Obviously if they check the Battery and find a fault, you have an option to either get it repaired (under existing warranty or not).

It's a good move and needed to be done. Let's just hope word gets to the UK dealers - news from HQ to dealers often appears to drop into a blackhole.

I went into the main dealer in Bradford today, and they are still waiting for details from Toyota about this.

My Battery warranty expires May 2014, but only had my last service in October. I'm caught out here if they don't give a goodwill gesture seeing as the car has always been main dealer serviced.

edit: thinking about it, it could be worth spending money for this for me as the whole hybrid system will go out of warranty for me in May, so if this shows any problems, then there could be a chance of warranty work being done.

Hi All,

I had mine serviced last Friday 17th, at Snows Toyota at Hedge End, I didn't know about this Hybrid Health check at the time but they made no mention of it either before or after the service. I will have to phone them up and see if they are doing it.

Was due to have my health check done today but appears that Toyota are still having software problems so appt was cancelled.

Was due to have my health check done today but appears that Toyota are still having software problems so appt was cancelled.

On January 13th Toyota Europe sent an update to our Diagnostic machines to allow us to run and register HHC, on the 14th we where able to carry out a test, however Java issued an update on the 15th which has corrupted the HHC system rendering it useless. We are at present waiting on a fix

Hi All,

I had mine serviced last Friday 17th, at Snows Toyota at Hedge End, I didn't know about this Hybrid Health check at the time but they made no mention of it either before or after the service. I will have to phone them up and see if they are doing it.

If you booked your appointment before the 14th January the service quoted does not include the health check, if booked after the 14th the service price was increased to include the check but as above we cannot complete it yet. If booked after the 14th give the dealer a call in a while to see if the system has been fixed a get the check carried out.

• Like 1

HHC still not working...I hope people start asking for rainchecks if they are alomost out of warranty

Interestingly, I spoke to Jemca Toyota in Bromley about these checks last week. My car is just out of the 8-year hybrid warranty, and I asked them to find out if the warranty would be re-established if the health checks were carried out.

To my surprise they said yes - so I will be booking the car in to see if they're true to their word.

Interestingly, I spoke to Jemca Toyota in Bromley about these checks last week. My car is just out of the 8-year hybrid warranty, and I asked them to find out if the warranty would be re-established if the health checks were carried out.

To my surprise they said yes - so I will be booking the car in to see if they're true to their word.

If you follow the rules on the HHC, then it appears it gives upto 10 years of warranty with unlimited miles - assuming you get it serviced at a main dealer or pay the £39.

Either way it's peace of mind.

Alarming to note that it doesn't apply if you've had the car fully serviced by a main dealers all its life though. I had my last service in October 2013.

• 3 weeks later...

hi,,i just bought a used prius 1.8 year 2010 from Japan, it has covered 110,000 km . Am a bit worried about the high voltage Battery, or the ECU . Anyone can tell me about their life? Thanks

The HHC is now WORKING. There were issues with the software but it has now been fully tested and working

Are you able to throw any light on it Mr PartsKing? What does the test do that a normal service wouldn't etc. Is it just a diagnostic or does it re-balance the cells or something?

ps, are Lindop Bros the Toyota dealers that got #1 for customer feedback?

If you buy a high mileage 4 year old Prius with say 92,000 miles. You could get an extension to 10 years unlimited mileage so long as you either get it main dealer servicing every 10,000 miles OR if you get it serviced elsewhere, so long as you pay £39 every 10,000 miles?

So even a taxi driver doing 30,000 miles a year could potentially run their car with main dealer servicing happy that the HV battery will be covered upto 10 years?

Sounds good to me.

From the website. I would need to check the small print to see if Taxis are covered :g:

On top of the generous 8 year or 100,000 mile Hybrid Battery Warranty, customers can benefit from a Hybrid Battery extended warranty, which gives them an additional one year or 10,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first). This can be renewed up to the 10th anniversary of the car's registration, with no limit on total mileage. All the customer has to do is have the Hybrid Health Check conducted as part of an annual service or as a separate check.

So even a taxi driver doing 30,000 miles a year could potentially run their car with main dealer servicing happy that the HV battery will be covered upto 10 years?

Sounds good to me.

From the website. I would need to check the small print to see if Taxis are covered :g:

On top of the generous 8 year or 100,000 mile Hybrid Battery Warranty, customers can benefit from a Hybrid Battery extended warranty, which gives them an additional one year or 10,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first). This can be renewed up to the 10th anniversary of the car's registration, with no limit on total mileage. All the customer has to do is have the Hybrid Health Check conducted as part of an annual service or as a separate check.

Having read the full terms and conditions that come with the HHC when completed there are as usual many! One of the limitations is that Vehicles used as Taxi are limited to a maximum of 5 policies, basically up to 50,000 mile limit before the 10 year overall limit.

And how would they know what was a taxi and what wasn't? What's the difference between a 'taxi' and a private hire vehicle? And then what of second owners who bought in good faith?

And finally, a 50,000 mile limit shows there is no faith. Norway get a 190,000 MILE warranty for commercial use, yet Toyota UK are only prepared to offer 110,000 mile total warranty? Hmmm. I think that's because they know the weakness in the gen3 batteries in harder use and want to avoid claims.

I have 80,000 miles and my HV Battery is getting near death - no warning lights but it drops from 5/8 bars to 2/8 without stopping at 4/8 or 3/8. The day it goes is the day a 2009 latest shape car sits on the road outside the dealers (or maybe in the town center?) with a big sign on its roof saying "Don't buy a hybrid" or something similar.

The number of passengers I carried who said "wow, if a taxi driver thinks these cars are reliable, then they must be" were many. Toyota can't have it both ways. Wash their hands of high mileage (just think of all the servicing opportunity) supporters, yet want the drivers to say what a fab car it is.

Saying that, I tell everyone who now asks that the car would be an expensive money pit and not to get one or at least get the hell rid before it goes out of warranty.

2 x steering motors

1 x inverter

1 x hv Battery ecu

1 x egr valve (on a petrol car!?!)

mileage today 80,734

• Like 2

And how would they know what was a taxi and what wasn't? What's the difference between a 'taxi' and a private hire vehicle? And then what of second owners who bought in good faith?

And finally, a 50,000 mile limit shows there is no faith. Norway get a 190,000 MILE warranty for commercial use, yet Toyota UK are only prepared to offer 110,000 mile total warranty? Hmmm. I think that's because they know the weakness in the gen3 batteries in harder use and want to avoid claims.

I have 80,000 miles and my HV battery is getting near death - no warning lights but it drops from 5/8 bars to 2/8 without stopping at 4/8 or 3/8. The day it goes is the day a 2009 latest shape car sits on the road outside the dealers (or maybe in the town center?) with a big sign on its roof saying "Don't buy a hybrid" or something similar.

The number of passengers I carried who said "wow, if a taxi driver thinks these cars are reliable, then they must be" were many. Toyota can't have it both ways. Wash their hands of high mileage (just think of all the servicing opportunity) supporters, yet want the drivers to say what a fab car it is.

Saying that, I tell everyone who now asks that the car would be an expensive money pit and not to get one or at least get the hell rid before it goes out of warranty.

2 x steering motors

1 x inverter

1 x hv battery ecu

1 x egr valve (on a petrol car!?!)

mileage today 80,734

It would be up to the supplying dealer to determine if the car was a Taxi/private hire if they can't tell then the car would probably get away with having a policy claim accepted.

Every thing has it limits Toyota have used a third party to supply the warranty they set the limits and I have yet to see a standard warranty policy that covers any vehicle used for hire or reward. I will try and remember to send my self a copy of the t & c to post here.

On early Mk3 with the 5year hybrid policy yes the mileage would be limited to 110k or 10 years, on mk2 and later mk3 Taxi the limits would be 150k/10 year ( term taxi used to cover hire or reward )

The level of warranty supplied is determined by the individual markets Toyota UK determine what cover thay want to apply beyond the standard 3yr/60k standard policy and 5yr hybrid policy, Toyota GB have to pay for any warranty claims beyond these, obviously Toyota Norway have confidence in the product and feel that they need to offer an extended warranty on Prius to suit there market conditions.

Your post seems to impliy that only Toyota put restrictions in there warranty policies, as an example Vauxhall offer a lifetime warranty, but only to the first buyer ( unless the second owners pay more to get the cover back) which excludes cars used for hire or reward ( Taxis ) and require a full dealer service history on claims beyond 3 years /60k if you want to make a claim, the Vag group drastically cut their cover on cars with more than 2500 miles dropping clutches, brakes, trim etc. Kia offer a 7 year warranty that drops cover between 3 & 5 years and only cover major mechanical between 5 & 7 . All manufacturers set limits Toyota are no different

In my own experience of some 14 years with Toyota I can only say that Hybrids are by far the most reliable models we offer something backed up by consumer surveys accross Europe and have only seen one mk3 Prius ( with over 200k ) needing a new EGR and have not seen any of the other issues you noted, now my experience cannot be taken as indicative of a lack of faults anymore than your experience can be taken as absolute proof that all Prius mk3 are duds.