Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Rattles

Pedal Head

Bought my 2012 Avensis tourer diesel some 8 or 9 months back with 14k on the clock and put about the same on it in the meantime. To say I'm disappointed with the build quality is an understatement. It's a constant battle keeping atop the trim rattles, so far I've had to endure rattles from the right side air vent (still not cured), three different but intermittent behind the dash rattles, one in the passenger seat head rest and one in the drivers door trim. Added to this a drive belt was replaced 8k or so due to slippage & this seems to be starting to slip again. Road noise is also disappointing however I plan to change the front tyres for Contis in the next 1,500 miles or so. The dealer is fine but they seem to be fighting a loosing battle and I'm tiring of the inconvenience.

Question is am I alone, do Friday afternoon cars still exist and does the Burnaston factory have problems with quality control?

Next service is Mr. T's last chance to get it right, this is my first and likely to be my last Toyota. Shame because it ticks most the boxes in what I need out of a car

Sorry to hear your tale. There have been a couple of complaints on this forum about rattles in the cabin try a search.

Can honestly say that my 2010 model Tourer is rattle and squeak free. I had a 2012 Passat diesel Tourer on loan for a week a short time ago and that was full of rattles and by far inferior to the Avensis overall.

" Road noise is also disappointing however I plan to change the front tyres for Contis in the next 1,500 miles or so"

I recently changed fronts to Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance with a noticeable improvement in noise & comfort from the standard Bridgestone. Hard to say though how much of that is due to the different tyre & how much due to having an extra ~5mm of tyre block compared to the worn ones.

Possibly more noticeable on mine as it's standard tyres are 225/45 R18 rather than the 225/50 R17 of the other 2.2 trim levels.

As for the other issues I'm sure that the odd "Friday car" still makes it out of the factory albeit fewer.

when I swapped my t25 for a t27 I bored everyone to death going on about how the older car was better built,and I was right!

when I swapped my t25 for a t27 I bored everyone to death going on about how the older car was better built,and I was right!

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

:backofnet:

Thanks for the links.

I have tried to remove the door trim to see what's in there but it's not obvious how to get it off,

As for tyres the car has GY efficient grips on the front & excellence on the rear, it's OK on smooth tarmac but not on rougher roads, Conti premium contact 5's are going on the front within the next couple of thou. I use taxi's (not black cabs) to & from the station quite a bit & nearly all are quieter with the exception of a Kia, one regular has a '57 plated Avensis & it seems to be much better built.

The dealer has reseated the foam packing in the vent, not cured so another for the dealer at the next service.

The drive belt was replaced, not sure about the tension take ups, I'm asking they change both at next service.

Probably the worst car I've had in 20 years, only my '89 Montego was much worse.

Other than a few niggles with how some things work it's a reasonably well thought out car so no clear choice what to change it for. A Puegeot 3008 ticks most the boxes but they do have a bad reputation for build quality and customer service.

Last summer I swapped a 2010 2.0D4D Tourer TR Nav for a new 2013 Tourer TR model and have to say my overall impression is that the build quality is not as good. I never had an issues with th 2010 model in 3 years but the 2013 has been back to Toyota several times for a persistent rear near-side side seat rattle and several dashboard/trim squeeks. The car also seems noisier when travelling on local roads, but maybe that's becasue they have more potholes now here in Sheffield :laughing:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links