Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Wiper Motor Relay Corolla '04 - '06

locsligo

I'm going to attempt to replace the Front wiper relay as the wiper arms are not returning to the base of the windscreen. (Corolla '54 plate)

The part number for the replacement relay is 85940-02020.

The relay unit appears to be behind the radio unit in the dash, so I was thinking of removing the panels of the in the center console i.e. radio, climate control unit etc. to try and access it.

Does anyone have any tips with regard to accessing it? Is anyone of the opinion that I would not be able to access the relay unit this way? I wont be attempting this til next weekend as the part has to be ordered in so any help would be greatly appreciated.

See link below for the position of the relay

http://toyota-europe.epcdata.ru/corolla/zze120r/1506/chassis/8401/?full&picture=5

Thank in advance.

Hi,

Not aware of any part behind the radio unit.

Not aware that the Front wiper motor has a dedicated external relay.

As best I know, the parking of the Wiper Blades is completed by the wiper motor unit,

If they are not parking correctly, three things to check, are the Wiper Blades in good condition and the correct type ?

Is there any play in the drive rod and linkage from the wiper motor to the wiper arms ?

If all above then suspect the wiper motor itself which, I believe, contains the self parking electrical assembly.

Have not taken a Toyota one to peices but generally that type of motor are non repairable/ cost effecitve.

No idea of Toyotas price new, but plenty s/h on eBay or from the scrappers

post-95973-0-92627300-1390054569_thumb.j

I was of the same opinion as yourself oldcodger with regard to the parking of the wipers being an issue with the motor / linkages. But when I was driving this week I could here a clicking noise within the dash whenever the wipers would park at different intervals on the windscreen which made me think that the issue is with a relay.

I have checked the condition of the linkages but I didn't dis-assemble and there doesn't appear to be any play with them. I don't think there is any issue with the motor itself as the wipers pull fine on the intermittent settings but park on the middle of the screen when they are 'rain sensing' or put on an individual wipe.

When I rang Toyota to query the part the said it does exist but the price is £162 and is located in the dash in probably one of the most awkward positions it could be and is about 4" sq.

This will be an expensive mistake and there will be alot of swearing next weekned if I am wrong...... Ha!!!

Hi,

I am refering to the Haynes manual and a toyota service manual for a 2004 model, though specs can change from coutry to country.

Looking at the diagram again, nothing tell me there is a relay for Normal wiper operation.

There is the relay for the Intermittant wipe, but again cannot locate that, though wonder if its part of the Integration Relay that could explain the high price as its a multi function unit.

As you can see from the pics below, the write up does not mention a direct wipe relay.

If you look at the diagram for the motor, you can see the odd switch symbol to the right of the actual motor; and as shown in the first pic it answers the question for me.

The other new moon symbol below the motor is an internal self resetting fuse.

hth

post-95973-0-80623400-1390068513_thumb.j

post-95973-0-35278300-1390068573.jpg

post-95973-0-12310600-1390068584_thumb.j

I see where your coming from now with regard to the wiper brake SW contained within the motor itself. .

The wiper brake switch 'common' contact is connected into the 'normally closed' position of the relay as it appears in the schematic of the Haynes manual. The relay is the depicted by the resistors, diodes and transistors I don't know how to post a pic to show ya.

I think your right with it being an issue with the wiper park SW in the motor rather than the relay.

Thanks very much for your help.

Replaced the front wiper motor the weekend. Toyota wanted £200+VAT for just the motor not inc the linkages so I rang a local-ish breakers who charged £40 for the motor & linkages.

The problem seems to be solved. Thanks oldcodger.

Hi,

Nice one ! :toast:

Would be interesting to hear if you can open and check the actual 'return' mechanism, which I would think is some kind of bronze contact assembly; though that type of motor is often built so it cannot be taken apart without having to break the components.