Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Avensis 1.8 Vvti - Rear Wiper Will Not Turn Off

wombling

The rear screen wiper on my car continues to constantly work on "intermittant", even although I have selected "off" on the control stalk.

The other wiper/washer functions appear to work ok, but the wiper will only stop completely when the ignition is turned off !

Would this be a problem with the stalk-switch, or with the wiper motor?

Has anyone else experienced this weird trouble?

Any advice would be welcome.

Hello Derek,

This problem is usually due to water getting into the wiper motor which needs to be removed and dried out, reassemble with plenty of grease on the shaft that connects to the wiper arm, this may keep the water out if the seals are worn or perished. This is a cheap fix if you can do the job yourself and well worth a try.

Pete.

• Like 3

I experienced this problem a few weeks ago. thanks to Pete's advice mine is behaving now although I did buy a new rubber grommet. cost under a £5 from Mr T.

• Like 2

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies

I had to wait for a dry day to work on the car, as I don't have an under-cover area. Am glad to report, however, that after some hours of glorious British Sunshine, the fault appears to have cured itself! Obviously something must have dried out since the deluges of rain we've had here recently.

If the problem repeats itself, and I have to access the wiper motor, could either of you point me in the right direction to get instructions on how to remove the interior trim panel from the hatch-back lid? Being a rank amateur in these matters, I cannot see any obvious way of removing this!

Many thanks in advance.

Derek

here is some links to help you.

just put in avensis rear wiper motor in the search bar for more posts.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/7184-avensis-rear-wiper-unit/

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/137466-how-to-replace-rear-wiper-motor-avensis-02-estate-has-anyone-seen-a-topic-on-this/

mine was is 2004 model maybe slightly different.

remove plastic clip on wiper arm, to reveal nut. (10mm)
undue nut

pull wiper arm off.

on the black panel their were two Philips screws visible, I undone these, then pulled panel the back its held on by clips.

You will see the wiper motor.
unclip the electrical connecter

undue 3 10mm nuts, wiper motor will come away.

when putting it back together try and seal the rubber grommet to avoid future water running down the wiper spindle.

• Like 1

After years of the rear wiper intermittent mode problem, I tackled the problem.

The following is for the Mk1.

At the wiper arm, remove the cover and undo the nut but, don't remove yet. Using a fair large flat blade screwdriver or a special puller, lever or pull the viper arm off the spindle, then remove the nut and wiper arm.

Only 1 screw in the inside door handle needs to be removed, then the inner trim. Then undo 3 bolts. Disconnect the plug and pull the motor from the door.

I also remove the rubber grommet, noting the small arrow embossed, which points towards the front.

Following Pete's suggestion, I greased the spindle inside the motor, reshaped the cover slightly and re-greased that, and re-soldered 2 of 4 contact joints which looked dry.

Using silicon sealant on the top of the spindle, around the hole where the grommet sits, and along the spindle which goes through the grommet. Add thick polythene material and the motor hopefully should be dry.

The motor seems to be working fine for now.

post-76861-0-98962000-1390639414_thumb.jpost-76861-0-19185200-1390639435_thumb.jpost-76861-0-12427300-1390639455_thumb.jpost-76861-0-45385900-1390639471_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi, Thanks for the pics - very helpful. I have the same problem. I'm pretty thin on tools, but thinking of getting a set or something. Could you tell me what tools you need to do all of this? Ta

Hi, Thanks for the pics - very helpful. I have the same problem. I'm pretty thin on tools, but thinking of getting a set or something. Could you tell me what tools you need to do all of this? Ta

Socket set and screw drivers. I got a trim removal tool from Machine Mart. You may need a wiper removal tool.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi

After the recent heavy rain and snow I now have the same problem with the rear wiper not turning off on my 2001 Avensis mk1, I removed the wiper motor and disconnected the electrical connector then but the wiper motor back on as a quick fix any idea where I can obtain a new grommet from. Any help in finding a new grommet would be great.  

11 hours ago, Onslow2001 said:

Hi

After the recent heavy rain and snow I now have the same problem with the rear wiper not turning off on my 2001 Avensis mk1, I removed the wiper motor and disconnected the electrical connector then but the wiper motor back on as a quick fix any idea where I can obtain a new grommet from. Any help in finding a new grommet would be great.  

The obvious place will be the dealers. Here is the part number - 85143-05030 http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1998/avensis/at221r-almekw/3_273540_026_/electrical/8502_rear-wiper#85143R

image.thumb.png.c099b3a9364c2c9eea3e1d338f091cf6.png

You could all try eBay or similar to compare prices. I would not try second-hand, unless the seller can vouch the grommet was a new replacement! Also try silicon sealant and silicon grease around the spindle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt reply we have a main dealer in Newcastle will give them a try, looked on eBay but can't see anything available. Avensis4d786 mentioned he got one from Mr T for £5 but that was back in 2014. If not available I'll go down the silicon sealant and grease route. Thanks again