Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Auris Hybrids Have The 12 Volt Flat Battery Problem?

RunningInPleasePass

The Aygo is built in the Czech Republic. The European Yaris is built in France.

Czech workers make the Skoda don't they and they're well built cars, but the French workers have always given the impression as being radical, unionised workers similar to those that plagued British Leyland in the 70's. You name one French car that's got a reliable long term reputation? It's a cultural thing I guess. The stories the Peugeot dealer told me about some of the cars that arrived before dealer prep would shock you.

I personally wouldn't buy a Yaris HSD now I know. Also unimpressed the Auris was designed there. The UK built cars from Nissan, Toyota and Honda have a good reputation for quality. The French built cars don't. Sounds like a case of too many cooks at Toyota Europe with Belgium, France and the UK all supposed to be working together. Hmmmm.

The Czech Republic is home for Skoda. The cars Skoda builds there are the Fabia, Roomster, Rapid, Octavia, Superb, Yeti, the Seat Toledo (sister car to the Rapid). They may also build the new Seat SUV (based on the Yeti).

Hyundai also build the i30, ix20 and ix35 in the Czech Republic for the European market.

In my opinion, you have to go back to the 60's/70's for a reliable French car. From years ago the Peugeot 404 and 504 had good reputations for toughness and reliability. Although European production of the 504 ended in 1983, Argentinian production continued until 1999. Chinese production of the pick up continued until 2009.

Update

Car dead again this morning, showing 4.6 volts!! Phoned dealer (Jemca Reading) and asked for recovery to them, currently awaiting AA. Trying to remain calm and patient and remember how car was prior to this year as problems have only surfaced in 2014.

dreadful news John.....just sit down, and have a nice cup of tea

will the 45 ah Prius Battery fit into the Auris Battery slot??

will the 45 ah Prius battery fit into the Auris battery slot??

From the photo someone posted on PriusChat it would appear it won't. The space for the 12v in the new Auris looks very small and very tight. They've probably used the smaller 35Ah Battery to try and increase some boot space (which was always quite poor in the Auris), but this has backfired. Hence not an easy fix for Toyota. If there was a big space they could just replace all 12v's in a recall for minimal outlay.

The Auris 12v looks about 2/3's the size of the one in the Prius. And that's small by comparison size wise to a traditional car 12v.

Update

Car dead again this morning, showing 4.6 volts!! Phoned dealer (Jemca Reading) and asked for recovery to them, currently awaiting AA. Trying to remain calm and patient and remember how car was prior to this year as problems have only surfaced in 2014.

It's hard, but keep your cool.

They will either say the Battery is okay, and only needs to be charged up, or fit a new one, a new one is best.

You need to contact Toyota Customer Support then, and lodge a complaint, ask the dealer to do it on your behalf if you prefer, in fact if you insist on a new Battery they may have to contact them anyway.

will the 45 ah Prius battery fit into the Auris battery slot??

I've only seen 40Ah ones that might fit in this small space, but they are not AGM batteries...(not sure if it needs to be)

Hello,

this is my first post.

I am from Spain and I am a member of a Toyota hybrid forum.

http://mitoyotaprius.mforos.com

In our forum we have a minimum of 5 cases of flat batteries in Auris hybrid.

This is the only Battery I've seen that could fit in the Auris:

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/automotive/blue-dynamic/540-125-033/

Yes that's the one i meant. It's even listed in the Configurator under the Auris Hybrid:

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/search-batteries?ids=5401250333132,5401260333132&application=pc&year=2013&manufacturerNo=111&modellineNo=10460&modeltype=57499

Bosch has one with the same dimensions.

Yes that's the one i meant. It's even listed in the Configurator under the Auris Hybrid:

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/search-batteries?ids=5401250333132,5401260333132&application=pc&year=2013&manufacturerNo=111&modellineNo=10460&modeltype=57499

Bosch has one with the same dimensions.

Bosch - 0 092 S40 180

bateria-bosch-0-092-s40-180.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to sound thick and ask this but I am right in thinking that the 1st Gen Auris HSD that I have is fitted with a 45Ah Battery but the 2nd Gen which is having problems is fitted with only a 35Ah ?

Sounds like they are going to have a huge problem to fix on the Gen 2 if the space is too small .......

When I first read all these posts it looked like a design fault in either the charging circuitry/software or something specific to the Battery rather than just the smart entry draining it.

• Like 1

Peter, there isn't a single answer because there are a variety of reasons (causes) why a 12V Battery could be flat (symptom). One symptom many different causes, therefore how to fix or avoid the problem is going to vary.

Timberwolf, thanks, understand that being a retired field engineer. Fortunately up to now I have been lucky Battery wise and only ever had one failing cell in numerous cars.

Any idea on the Battery capacity ? Is it 45Ah in the Gen 1 Auris and 35Ah in the new 2nd Gen ?

Have a look at your own Battery. It usually says on the top. Though saying that, the metal holding strap on mine is right over it (on my Prius).

As you have a 2011, it would be useful or indeed interesting to know if the earlier Auris (pretty much copied from the Prius) had the larger 12v. If it did, then it sounds like the smaller Battery is more likely the issue. If it didn't, then it's probably parasitic drain on the fully loaded models.

I have mentioned a few times that the old Prius (2001) had the 35Ah Battery but this was increased to 45Ah due to issues with flat 12v's caused mainly by the keyless entry system.

The 12 volt Battery is a very small one that only has enough power to boot up the instrument panel etc. Don't listen to the radio without the "ready" light on or the Battery will discharge quickly.

Try turning the radio and the interior lights off before leaving the car. There are problems with both Toyota and Honda discharging through these circuits when there is a fault with one or other of them.

Update,

just picked car up from dealer, yes I know on a Sunday - keys left with sales dept. Battery charged and tested twice on Friday and dealer was willing to replace, but Mr T said charge fully then retest and if not showing full charge replace. Charged fully on Friday and tested Saturday, showed full charge and so passed as fit and re-fitted. Unfortunately or fortunately we went to London yesterday, so were unable to pick up till today, but the overnight stay in their compound and today`s rain gave it a test, but it unlocked and started fine. However I called in at Halfords, and picked up a jump start power pack, just in case! I have also turned off bluetooth, auto lights and wipers, and boot light - just in case. So now it is a case of fingers crossed and hope, as my son wants to borrow it to go to Leeds next weekend.

john

For information.

On the official Toyota Auris Blog I asked the question:

Have Toyota got any nearer sorting out the problem of the 12 volt battery going flat for the Auris Excel Hybrid yet?

It has effected me twice, and on some forums, one owner is on their third battery.

It’s very hard to get an handle on the number of owners effected but UK forums have about 8 cases and European ones about 35.

The reply:

Hi there and thanks for your post.

We obviously are aware of this issue and work is still ongoing regarding the resolution with our European office. Regrettably we do not have a timeframe at this stage but we are aware of the disappointment and inconvenience this is causing so we do resolve this matter as quickly as we can.

Is it me or has this topic on the blog disappeared?

I have second theory what might also couse this flat Battery problem.

Compared Prius Gen2 and Gen3, Auris 12v Battery has been placed in very cold position of car (especially in at Touring Sport Model).

Because Auris traction Battery is located under passanger seat, it gives all its extra heat to cabin. At Prius traction battery is at boot and it heats up also arrounding space of boot.

My theory is that, there is no extra heat from traction battery available for 12v battery. At cold areas like here in Finland the battery will not charge easily at -15c or -20c temperatures.

I'm driving just 8km one way trips to work and back. And I measured voltage after car sat 4hours. It was -15c that day and multimeter gives just 11.8 volts. That means there is roughly 40% battery capacity left. So if temperature drops -25c which is quite normal here this time of year, the battery will freeze.

My 12v battery has not been frozen yet. But I know one case where that has happened.

Interesting, but I understood that Lead-Acid batteries are a well established technology able to work in both hot and cold extremes, the car industry has been designing them for use in vehicles for decades?

"Lead acid is reasonably forgiving when it comes to temperature extremes, as we know from the starter batteries in our cars.", quoted from http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures and note the discharge temperature range of -20C to 50C range.

And the Prius Battery isn't really in the boot. It's in the back of the car hidden under a panel and has a fresh air vent right next to it. I'd imagine it would be as cold a place as any.

Granted, for any cold country the fact that it's not in the engine bay could be an issue, but saying that, the Prius owners in Canada and Northern USA where it often hits -40/-45c don't appear to have any particular issues compared to other cars.

You are right. Prius 12V Battery is not in boot, but traction (202V) Battery is. And from traction Battery there is ventilation to back towards 12V battery. It can be seen here: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2011_TOYOTA_PRIUS_ZVW30L-AHXEBW_8201.2.html part:G92F1

Those vents you mentioned are not letting cold air in from out side. Those are exit route to heated cabin air.

Air flows from front to back.

I do not know where are those wents in Auris. Those should be back there somewhere.

As said, my theory of cold battery might not be issue that causes this, but result what happens with empy battery. But fact is that cold battery is very difficult to charge up, at least fast..

Well, surely a simple test would be, when car won`t start, remove Battery, place in warm and then refit, or maybe we should remove the Battery when leaving the car, keep it in the warm in cold weather,then all Mr T would have to provide is a carry bag!!

john (in sarcastic mode)

It finally stopped raining so I could have a look at the 12v Battery in my Auris (1st Gen) - but as GC said earlier, unable to see a capacity, possibly covered by retaining strap and it is too damn cold to get tools out just for a look. Might try when the sun comes out again .....

Peter

My Li-Ion traction Battery is between the front seats, where you guys have a huge storage box, and it doesn't give off any heat that I'm aware of.

Maybe you Gen 2 Auris owners should put the car to bed with a hot water bottle

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links