Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Many Auris Hybrids Have The 12 Volt Flat Battery Problem?

RunningInPleasePass

Hi, email from Mr T today about the Battery problem

"I have taken this opportunity to discuss your comments with the Technical Team and I can confirm that we are aware of this issue and Toyota Motor Europe are working towards a fix which will be communicated soon. Your local Toyota centre will be informed and subsequently they will

communicate this to you."

so things seem to be looking up. If they cannot physically fit the 45Ah Battery in, maybe they could improve the charging to compensate.

John (now being hopeful)

PS nice idea Kithmo

• 2 weeks later...

My 12v battery has not been frozen yet. But I know one case where that has happened.

This morning it happened. My car had stood about 65 hours and that was enought to drain the Battery completely. Cannot not blame could weather either, its been just around 0c all weekend.

Toyota shop cleaned ground cable of 12v Battery and charged it up. I bought own Battery booster right away. So for next time this will happend I do not need to wait that road service guy with "energy station" to appear.

This is my second Toyota hybrid, but this is first time I'm really disapointed to it..

Toyota seem to be really struggling to solve the 12V Battery problem on the Auris. For Auris owners having this problem it must be very frustrating.

I have ben invited to a new car sale event at the dealers but I am very reluctant to change our Prius at the present time due to the Battery issue on the Auris and lack of spare wheel on the PIP etc.

Toyota gained a reputation for being a slightly dull but very reliable car maker. The cars were well designed in Japan.

Then the cars were built in other areas to Japanese ways and standards.

Still no problems.

Then the Belgium/French designers got their fingers into the pie and now we're having problems.

Reputations take years to gain and can be lost in an instant.

Toyota seem to be really struggling to solve the 12V battery problem on the Auris. For Auris owners having this problem it must be very frustrating.

I have ben invited to a new car sale event at the dealers but I am very reluctant to change our Prius at the present time due to the battery issue on the Auris and lack of spare wheel on the PIP etc.

I would attend and when it came to deal time would demand a space tyre as part of deal, -No Spare Tyre No Deal- "Simples" and see what he said, while mentioning that you had been following the conversations on various forum. No car dealer likes bad press, and forums are getting more power and influence as their comments are from actual owners, not press.

just my take on it

john

PS just got a spacesaver for my 2013 Auris from dealer, so they are available.

Awaiting the fix on Battery problem, but I have a powerpack in case.

Toyota seem to be really struggling to solve the 12V battery problem on the Auris. For Auris owners having this problem it must be very frustrating.

I have ben invited to a new car sale event at the dealers but I am very reluctant to change our Prius at the present time due to the battery issue on the Auris and lack of spare wheel on the PIP etc.

If you can go along to to the new car event and tell them why you are not going to buy a new Auris just yet, with luck this type of comment will get back to Toyota.

If I had heard about this problem before I bought my Auris, I would of gone elsewhere, it's happened to me twice, and as luck would have it, both times I was starting out on an important journey and ended up being late, even now, every time I go to start the car I keep my fingers crossed.

I think Toyota try harder then most to please their customers, but it still leaves a sour taste, and I think the next time I will stay clear of any new models for at least a year or so, to let them iron out teething problems, and sad to say, I will definitely also think long and hard before buying another Toyota because they should have been able to catch this problem pre-production.

I would attend and when it came to deal time would demand a space tyre as part of deal, -No Spare Tyre No Deal- "Simples" and see what he said, while mentioning that you had been following the conversations on various forum. No car dealer likes bad press, and forums are getting more power and influence as their comments are from actual owners, not press.

just my take on it

john

PS just got a spacesaver for my 2013 Auris from dealer, so they are available.

Awaiting the fix on Battery problem, but I have a powerpack in case.

With regards a space saver in a PIP it cannot be done there is no space ( larger Battery covers Spare wheel hole ) the only way to carry a wheel is to loose boot space.

As per previous posts Toyota have remarked that they are investigating a fault and will report as soon as they have a fix, this unfortunately can take some time, the whole process would go something like this:

A fault is reported in large enough instances and dealers are reporting they cannot find a fix.

Toyota technical team will have to carry out several field visits to dealers to looks vehicles that are actually presenting a fault

The actual cause of the fault has to be determined.

A fix will have to be developed , ensuring that the repair meets all the regulations of each of the markets the car is sold in to.

The fix will have to applied to a test model and confirmed that it is successful

Toyota will then have to report this fix to vehicle regulators so that they can determine if the fix will alter the current certificate of homologation ( does the fix alter the car in any way in terms of previously tested braking, crash testing, emissions or fuel economy etc ) if the regulators decide the fix does affect any of the above the vehicle would have to be resubmitted for homologation and pass this before the fix can be introduced, If the fix is deemed not to affect previous certification then:

A viable method of fixing the car at dealer level has to be developed, this will have to be translated into bulletins to suit all markets

Along with this parts supplies have to sourced and distributed into the parts supply chain

Once all the above has been done and only then can a Technical service bulletin can be published to the dealer network.

I know none of this is of any consolation to those of you who have been affected by this issue, but it goes some way to explain just what has to be done behind the scenes before a fix is issued.

As per previous posts Toyota have remarked that they are investigating a fault and will report as soon as they have a fix, this unfortunately can take some time, the whole process would go something like this:

A fault is reported in large enough instances and dealers are reporting they cannot find a fix.

Toyota technical team will have to carry out several field visits to dealers to looks vehicles that are actually presenting a fault

The actual cause of the fault has to be determined.

A fix will have to be developed , ensuring that the repair meets all the regulations of each of the markets the car is sold in to.

The fix will have to applied to a test model and confirmed that it is successful

Toyota will then have to report this fix to vehicle regulators so that they can determine if the fix will alter the current certificate of homologation ( does the fix alter the car in any way in terms of previously tested braking, crash testing, emissions or fuel economy etc ) if the regulators decide the fix does affect any of the above the vehicle would have to be resubmitted for homologation and pass this before the fix can be introduced, If the fix is deemed not to affect previous certification then:

A viable method of fixing the car at dealer level has to be developed, this will have to be translated into bulletins to suit all markets

Along with this parts supplies have to sourced and distributed into the parts supply chain

Once all the above has been done and only then can a Technical service bulletin can be published to the dealer network.

I know none of this is of any consolation to those of you who have been affected by this issue, but it goes some way to explain just what has to be done behind the scenes before a fix is issued.

Thanks for all the information, it certainly looks like this could be a long job. it vindicates my theory of not buying a new model for at least a year, and anybody considering an Auris Hybrid would perhaps do well to wait, or look elsewhere.

toyota has found the cause of the problem. shouldn't be long now, until they finally fix it.

until then according to toyota: after turning off the car, press the hazard light button and after a second press it again to turn it off. doing this, the electronics should be able to go to sleep the way they are supposed to.

sounds stupid, but it seems to work.

at least it did for one user in the german forum whos car died every time (!) after just 1 or 2 days. and now it hasn't happened again, since he started following this procedure.

(not sure if this has been posted it this forum already, have been away for a few weeks.)

toyota has found the cause of the problem. shouldn't be long now, until they finally fix it.

until then according to toyota: after turning off the car, press the hazard light button and after a second press it again to turn it off. doing this, the electronics should be able to go to sleep the way they are supposed to.

sounds stupid, but it seems to work.

at least it did for one user in the german forum whos car died every time (!) after just 1 or 2 days. and now it hasn't happened again, since he started following this procedure.

(not sure if this has been posted it this forum already, have been away for a few weeks.)

Yes the "Flat Battery Prevention Flash" has worked so far for me as well, in fact I've now started to look to see if other owners are doing the same, I sighted my first one this weekend in Scarborough!

Pleased to hear Toyota have found the fault on the Auris. This should make owners of the Auris feel better. RIPP I do intend to hold off the purchase of a new car, I am also waiting for Gen 4 Prius info, Should not be too long before the new model arrives!!

A bulletin was issued today to dealers acknowledging the issue with 12v Battery drain on NG Auris, the fault is related to a CAN communication error with the hazard warning switch as previously mentioned on this thread.

A fix of a software update for the CAN communication system is anticipated in early March ( not mentioned if this is an updated part or just a reprogramming of an existing part ) and I will post a soon as the repair is available.

In the meantime drivers experiencing issues can avoid them by fully pressing the hazard switch activating the hazards, then fully pressing the switch to deactivate the hazards, then exit the car as normal, this will have to be repeated at each exit until the repair is completed.

My dealer service manager told me the fault had been identified as a faulty hazard warning switch (as mentioned in the blogs). However I still think the extra ancillary kit, smart entry, auto light, wipers running lights unswitched boot lights etc. require a higher capacity Battery in the Excel. I was given to understand it was only the high spec hybrids with a problem.

The spare wheel kit fits great,with no loss of space, in the TS and was included in the deal without any hassle when I said I would transfer the spare from the Prius. The car is easier to live with and feels better built, more durable seat material, than the gen3 Prius and even Lexus IS200. I like that the roof rails mean no more wet seats every time you open a door when the roof is wet. The folding mirrors, DAB and reversing camera are great but the rear radar monitors are inaudible (they were just quiet in my gen3 Prius). The ride,on the TS is better too but this may be due to the rear suspension which is different from the hatch. The seat folding, load guard and cleaver barrier for the rear seats is very neat. The batteries do not intrude into the space at all giving a flat floor, and a hidden area. However had I known digital speed could not been programmed into the trip panel,no heat vents for rear passengers and I would be stuck with stupid 17" wheels on LP tyres I would probably have gone elsewhere. In real world driving I get an average of nearly 10 mpg less from the Auris Excel than the Gen3 Prius For my lifestyle it maybe better than a diesel auto but you need to love CVT hybrids to justify the extra cost. Its a question of compromise,there were things I did not like about all the small estates I tried and this is by far the quietest and most relaxing to drive of all of them. I predict in a couple of years time Toyota will sort it out or drop it through lack of sales.

PS check it fits in your garage the TS is bigger, longer and wider, than the Prius.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi this is my first post here as I am not quite a Toyota owner.

I ordered my new Auris Touring Sport Excell Hybrid NAV Leather 6 Feb. Delivery is due in a couple of weeks. Then today I found that Toyota acknowledged a fault with this model 14 Feb on their blog / website.

Does this mean that delivery of my car will just be put back until the fault is sorted?

Hello Nigel and welcome.

I suspect they will deliver the car on time, and will sort the problem out later.

A short term fix is to operate the hazard warning lights for a couple of flashes after you have turned the car off, that way the ECU will shut down normally.

Thanks RIPP.

I saw the Toyota note saying about the hazard lights thing, and really thought that sounded daft. But maybe that is what they need, and hopefully it will soon be sorted.

I am certainly looking forward to the lower fuel bills after my last car 2,500 cc 5 cylinder petrol.

Anyhow, your blog name makes me ask whether a new car needs to be run in these days? I've never had brand new before, and hadn't given it a thought, but it was something I remember my Dad talking about when I was a kid.

It's less critical than it was for cars made in the 60s & 70s due to finer machine tolerances, better quality lubricants and materials etc.

However, many, including myself, believe that being gentle during the first few thousand miles pays dividends longer term.

That said, the Toyota Hybrid system is beautifully designed where the different parts protect each other, so It's very hard to over-stress any part of the system, but I would still advise avoiding full throttle and very hard braking for the first thousand miles or two (except in an emergency). Plus, I think it's always worth avoiding these in the first couple of miles from a cold start.

I've come across the odd (taxi) driver (not thinking of anyone here, BTW!) who's put a Prius permanently into PWR mode and hammered it, and the only penalty (apart from probably dreadful mpg) was needing a new pair of front tyres at 10K!

Thanks RIPP.

I saw the Toyota note saying about the hazard lights thing, and really thought that sounded daft. But maybe that is what they need, and hopefully it will soon be sorted.

I am certainly looking forward to the lower fuel bills after my last car 2,500 cc 5 cylinder petrol.

Anyhow, your blog name makes me ask whether a new car needs to be run in these days? I've never had brand new before, and hadn't given it a thought, but it was something I remember my Dad talking about when I was a kid.

I bought a new Gen3 in 2009 and I'm sure the manual had instructions for driving it gently over the early mileage, but I can't remember the details.

The PiP was a demonstrator so the issue has not arisen for me, but the manual says:

"For the first 300km (200 miles) - Avoid sudden stops"

"For the first 1000km (600 miles) - Do not drive at extremely high speeds - Avoid sudden acceleration - Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods"

Have you looked in the documentation for the vehicle?

Has Toyota finally made it into the last century and put the vehicle owners manuals online? Or does the customer still have to wait until the car is actually delivered and the painful handover ceremony (death by a million little pieces of paper)...

Indeed. Thanks, I forget about brief guide, so unless this thread has been necro'd I'd the guess that a future owner will not have read the run-in procedure copied from Owner's manual to successive Owner's manual by Japanese monks... :)

You could use this:

https://customerportal.toyota-europe.com/core/index.html

It's the Toyota Customer Portal, you have to enter your details, but the E Manuals are here.

You can get to the same place via this, again you need to enter details:

https://my.toyota.co.uk/#landing

From the My Toyota site you can keep track of your service history as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links