Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlights

mudinuri

Hi All.

Still finding my way with my first Rav4 (1998). This week was the first time I have had to drive it in the dark and, wow, the Headlights are absolute Rubbish. I could hardly see the road infront of me.

I am toying with replacing the original bulbs with xenon bulbs. Should I go down this road, are the bulbs easy to change and if so what is the procedure for changing them(I don"t have a handbook for the car)

Do you think this is the right thing to do? or do you have any better ideas?

Overall, for the money I paid for the car I think it"s a bargain, maybe a little thirsty because even driving it with a very light foot, it still only returns somewhere between 25 and 30 mpg on a long run.

As an impoverished pensioner any useful help and advice woulkd be gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

Hi David - I presume you have the 2.0 petrol model ? They're not great MPG'wise but should manage a bit more when driven moderately. I take it your RAV is also a manual ?

Either 'Osram Nightbreaker Ultimates +110%' or 'Ring xenon Ultima +120%' bulbs have done best in the Auto Express tests.

Have a look at the following topic - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/153143-upgrading-headlight-bulbs/?hl=%2Bheadlight+%2Bbulbs

Before you buy any bulbs, make sure you have the correct fitting for your Rav4 - think yours may have either H4 (dual filament for main and dipped beam) or HB4 bulbs (single filament for dipped beam) - and, once you've determined the bulb fitting, have a look at the bulbs on Amazon (as they tend to be cheaper there than from some other bulb suppliers).

My other thought before shelling out for replacement bulbs would be to check that the reflectors and the inside of the front glass is clean. Both can suffer from condensation in this part of the world and this leaves a residue on both that can affect the efficiency of the lights.

George

May not be that simple to clean the inside as usually the headlight units are sealed units.

One other possibility is that the plastic lenses of the headlights have yellowed with age (the Rav is around 15 years old). See:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/146892-headlight-cleaning/

Thanks to all for your replies.

Yes my RAV is a 2.0 petrol, Manual and I was hoping to get more MPG than I am getting.

Returning to the Headlight Bulb subject: Are the bulbs easy to remove? because I have looked under the bonnet and there seems to be a lot of different connections for the headlight. Which one do I need to disconnect to change the bulbs should I go down that avenue?

Thanks all.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Yes my RAV is a 2.0 petrol, Manual and I was hoping to get more MPG than I am getting.

Returning to the Headlight Bulb subject: Are the Bulbs easy to remove? because I have looked under the bonnet and there seems to be a lot of different connections for the headlight. Which one do I need to disconnect to change the Bulbs should I go down that avenue?

Thanks all.

Go to Halfords, preferably during a school week ( that way you may actually get an adult with what borders on experience.....) Get your bulbs there, albeit at inflated prices, but they will fit them for not a lot of cash. You seem to doubt your own competence, and decent upgrade bulbs do make a difference.......or is there an indie garage you can ask to fit bulbs you supply......? Not difficult but can be fiddly.

This model isn't good on fuel but will be considerably worse if servicing has been neglected. Unless you know the history, I'd suggest changing the plugs, air filter and fuel filter. The fuel filters on this model are tiny, cost an arm and a leg and it's common to see the original filter still on a 15 year old car. There are some genuine Toyota filters on eBay at the moment at a bargain price............see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NEW-TOYOTA-SUPRA-3-0I-B-TURBO-TERCEL-RAV-4-FUEL-FILTER-23300-79455-/390723140653?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af8e9fc2d

• Like 1

Lights?

I used 6 Cibies up front at one time.

Fuel consumption - 25mpg isn't bad. 25 - 27 would be normal I'd guess.

Lights - if you're not happy at tinkering, then try Big Kevs solution.