Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Terrain Tyres

Tequilla Head

Hi,

I need to replace the front tyres on my Rav 4, and was looking to move over to all terrain tyres (Yokohama Geolanders). The tyres on the back are still fine (Champiro VP1). Could someone please let me know whether I can put all terrains just on the front, or would I have to replace all four? Not sure if it would affect the roadhandling?

Cheers

If you're replacing just a pair of tyres, the current tyre industry guidance is to put the new tyres on the rear axle, and rotate the used ones from the rear to the front. Supposed to make the handling more stable.

It's a strange combination to have all season's on one axle and all terrain on the other particularly on a fixed 4WD - you'll get the best of neither on or off road. On road, the A/T's will be noisy and ideally should be fitted on the rear with the part worn GT tyres on the front. There's obviously an issue with a spare wheel for mixed tyres.

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick to normal tyres rather than all terrains, and put them on the back :). Can anyone recommend a mid range tyre? Looks like Hankook Dynapro HP RA23 have a better performance rating than the Bridgestone Duelers I have on there at the moment?

Where did one read the Geolanders were A/T Tyres.....? Or are there TWO Geolander grades that I am missing?

All seasons more like.....?

The Toyota original fitment was Yokahama Geolander G91A - an excellent all season tyre. The Geolander all terrain tyre is G012 - this is a knobbly tread tyre totally different to the G91A - an excellent tyre often used on Ravs and Landcruisers.

Published tyre ratings - although a good step forward - only tells part of the story. The published wet stopping distance is of course important but there are other important things to consider such as performance in snow, ride / comfort and tyre life. The Geolanders and Duellers were original equipment and both are generally well regarded by Rav owners. Other top and mid range tyres are perfectly good - but for every tyre some will love them and others will hate them. Hankook is a well regarded tyre as is the Continental which size for size is usually about the same price - and about 20% cheaper than G91A or Duellers.

In my (very high mileage) business years, the lowest mileage always came from Continentals.......this was offset by superb all weather grip and ride quietness. Pirelli were giving out free industrial ear protection at the time, but mileage was good on the hardest substrate availabe but still called "rubber".

I have Yokohama geolandar GO12's on mine and so far I'm very happy with them ! I've been assured that they should be adequate in the snow if we get any ?

My Yokoharma tyres cracked after 2 years from new so Iv fitted Continental cross contact lx2 they seam very good

post-71710-0-61380800-1390256133_thumb.j

Not good , I'll keep an eye on them although they're only six months old and still look like new !

Check the date code on the tyres - have they sat on a shelf for years? This sort of damage isn't acceptable after 2 years and reasonably low miles judging by the tread depth. This is worth a formal complaint to Yokahama - many tyre manufacturers would give credit for unused tread for this sort of issue.

The geo's on mine and a work collegue's were exactly the same, got continentals on done 30,000 still 3.2mm and no cracking.

Keith

The date codes wear only two and half years old ! I sent them back 2 Yokohama and had half the tyre value back was very happy , yoko wear very helpful ! ( Iv seen similar cracking on a few tyres now is the Quality dropping )

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report that the new tyres are fitted (Hankook HP RA33's) and so far so good :)