Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lets Have A Wee Fight!

JappyBeast

As a cheaper, economy n/a owner I just want to know what the big deal with tubby MR2's are?

My n/a just seems much quicker, not been on the open road, but round town it just seems to pull better (jimlad might want to confirm this if he isnt killing kids with his gun).

Is the tubby all about straight line times then?

Doesnt the 'pssssssssssst' get a bit boring?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

**JappyBeast lost in the world of his n/a**

Seriously... what are the pro's of having a tubby over an n/a? They seem to be very different cars.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• Fizz

• Bibbs

• Titto

Top Posters In This Topic

**My n/a just seems much quicker, not been on the open road, but round town it just seems to pull better **

You must be racing Turbo look-a-likes. Or very poorly tubbies. :P

I have had many run ins with N/A's and I just blow them away. Round corners its faily equal. But from the line to 1/4 they dont come close. Even to about 50mph I am always still 1 sec infront.

If you were to put a tubby and an N/A round a track, my money would go on a tubby all the time, it would be close.

Now in a straight line drag, there is no competition, Tubby will always get to 1/4 3/4 secs quicker than an N/A (if both drivers get good starts that it.

Remember N/A 170 HP and 170 lbs or torque

REV 1/2 spec tubby 220 BHP 225 lbs of torque, just no competition!!!

:thumbsup:

and then theres the rev 3 tubby with at least 245bhp and 240(?) lbs of torque, many of which are more than that stock.

Agreed around bends or on a track there wouldnt be much in it, and maybe even a NA would be easier to control due to the lack of "boost kick" when your exiting a corner. In a straight line the tubby will eat the road up.

For me its not so much the pssstccch but its the sssssssssssfffffffssshhhhhhh of the turbo spooling up...its music to the ears. Follow that by a hard kick in the butt, and the grin on your face is reason enough to like a tubby more.

**My n/a just seems much quicker, not been on the open road, but round town it just seems to pull better **

understandable to about 2300rpm since the 3SGTE user lower compression pistons than the 3SGE and hence has less torque up to about that mark, even my dads Carina 1.6E feels like it pulls harder for the first couple of seconds...but once the turbo kicks in though theres no question of whos pulling more torque

Another thing that persuaded me to get a tubby instead of a NA is the value for money of mods. Tubbys are a lot easier to mod and you can get 300bhp just off stock internals. Most mods would give a higher hp benefit than they would on an NA (except for an air intake)

And goddammit owning a tubby at 21 when im still supposed to be a broke student just makes my day :D

i think i will wait for a couple more N/A comments to keeps things in the balence as i dont want to kill the argument off just yet... :P :lol:

OK... Jappy is getting this impression due to the fact that it was soon after I crashed my car and for that reason I was being very carefull.

Tubbys all the way baby !

Also Japp... my car is now putting out 275bhp and 275 ft/lb torque baby ! Yeah !

Well there is an obv difference, and after my first drive in a tubby last week, I know the difference felt when your foot hits the go pedal. However I disagree with the track comment, most people say that N/A's are better round the track and I agree, as I can see the tubby cornering issues.

I love my N/A, and thats enough power for day to day stuff, but I wouldnt say no to a bit more go, so I can really blast those posers at the lights!

I stick up for the N/A as a great car butn ot denying the power difference. :D

Erm .. I can actually beat a Focus RS .. something an NA can't do ..

My reasons for taking an N/A:

1) I don't want to kill myself... I didn't think I had enough driving experience to be able to handle a tubby.

2) Insurance. Being 23 with 0NCB is a real :censor: . Just want to build up some no claims in a quality car.

3) Cost. Not only in petrol but also when the turbo goes wrong. Have heard loads of stories about the turbo going wrong and the cost of getting it sorted.

Having said all that, I know at some point I would love to own a tubby. I love the noises they make and the performance. Maybe in a few years when I have built up no claims and am a bit older.....

My reasons for taking an N/A:

1) I don't want to kill myself... I didn't think I had enough driving experience to be able to handle a tubby.

2) Insurance. Being 23 with 0NCB is a real :censor: . Just want to build up some no claims in a quality car.

3) Cost. Not only in petrol but also when the turbo goes wrong. Have heard loads of stories about the turbo going wrong and the cost of getting it sorted.

Having said all that, I know at some point I would love to own a tubby. I love the noises they make and the performance. Maybe in a few years when I have built up no claims and am a bit older.....

sensible ideas mate... I'm 24, 0ncb and my isurance is mad. Will get even madder near renewal time.

jappy,................................................................................

NO! :P

I was looking at getting a tubby until I realised that the insurance would be the same for a Supra then I decided that the insurance on either of them was too high (getting insured when you live in Bristol is :censor: expensive!). So when I move or my insurance goes down I'm selling the 2 and getting a supra (turbo of course)!

Insurance for a Tubby the Same as a Supra TT ??... where ????

Jappy... and as DJ_Davo said.... NO!

Well, not exactly the same, the Supra TT was about £150 more expensive then the MR2 tubby, either way it would have been about £1500, got a quote from a few places at around this price.

NA's are nice cars .. but it's a bit of a sheep in wolfs clothing ..

Where a Tubby is a wolf in wolf's clothing ..

When I went from my Rev1 NA to my Rev2 tubby I described the transition as :

sending the girlfriend away in her slob tracksuit, and getting her comming back a stone lighter, with a boob job and dressed as a school girl

I just wanted the best mr2 I could get, so got a rev5 turbo.

I owned a Rev3 N/A and have driven a Rev3 tubby.

The cost differences (outlay, servicing and insurance) does not really justify the amount of performance increase in the tubby. But the next one I get will be a Rev3+ tubby nonetheless :thumbsup:

Sorry to upset you all, But my N/A will beat everyone on here easlily.

Not because of the speed, but because im jsut such a god damnnnnnnnnn good driver :D :D :D

Sorry to upset you all, But my N/A will beat everyone on here easlily.

Not because of the speed, but because im jsut such a god damnnnnnnnnn good driver :D :D :D

i look forward to a track day!

in the words of livin joy!

I owned a Rev3 N/A and have driven a Rev3 tubby.

The cost differences (outlay, servicing and insurance) does not really justify the amount of performance increase in the tubby. But the next one I get will be a Rev3+ tubby nonetheless :thumbsup:

WTF ???

Yes it does... the amount of fun you have in a tubby is amazing !

Roll on my new clutch !.. wooohooo !

Also why a rev3 tubby ?? geeze. My baby is only a rev1 and it looks the nads and has got good performance figures. Fair enough, I've spent some money on it.... but don't rule out a rev1 ! My rev1 only had 30,000 miles on it when I imported it !! :D

Now for some more controvosy....he he...

A 125cc motorbike (say 33bhp max) can lap at the same pace as a superbike (190+bhp) its down to the rider....the superbike will kill the 125 on a straight, but corner speed and not having to worry about nailing the trottle around a corner help make the 125 overall the same speed. So, can this argument be applied to cars??? Yes.!

My experience with tubbies is that they are brilliant brilliant straight line bad ***** cars. I still love my N/A though, i love the 2 purley for looks!

Doesnt the 'pssssssssssst' get a bit boring?

The pssssst sound fo the Bov never gets boring... along with the spool up sound of the turbo.... it's heavenly ! :D

Now for some more controvosy....he he...

A 125cc motorbike (say 33bhp max) can lap at the same pace as a superbike (190+bhp) its down to the rider....the superbike will kill the 125 on a straight, but corner speed and not having to worry about nailing the trottle around a corner help make the 125 overall the same speed. So, can this argument be applied to cars??? Yes.!

My experience with tubbies is that they are brilliant brilliant straight line bad ***** cars. I still love my N/A though, i love the 2 purley for looks!

fair enough....

but I myself am a modding freak. There's only so much you can do to a n/a, and you don't get the same gains as you would from a tubby.

TUBBY !!!! :thumbsup:

..im secretly jealous. i need a tubby....

everyone needs a tubby...... :D

Also... what's the point in having a flashy car that doesn't perform ? ( n/a ).

Tubby got the looks and the performance.