Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instrument Panel Warning And Reminder Bulbs

Konrad C

Hi everyone. How many of you check to see if every bulb works in the instrument panel works?

Well recently I had to change 3 bulbs. The ECONO, door open, and brake warning light. I only realised the door open light not working by accident and the brake warning light when fitting the other bulb and testing all the bulbs. This saved time by doing the job in one go.

I bought a few R286 spade bulbs, rated at 1.2w and 12v, from my local car parts store.

Access is not too difficult, in the case of the mark 1 Avensis, with the removal of outer instrument cover with 2 screws, then 3 screws holding the instrument panel.

Try not to drop any screws! Use a magnetic screwdriver helps, plus small long nose pliers to remove the bulb holders.

I did not use the tools and drop a screw in to steering column, necessitating removal of the cover to retrieve. Lesson learnt.

I have the hand book which confirms which indicators my model uses. There are empty holes in the panel for the auto models that have ECT PWR, ECT SNOW, and O/D off, and oil level warning for the 2 litre car. Diesels have slightly different instruments.

The point is, I did not initially notice that I had any bulbs out without checking.

Konrad

Hi Konrad,

My ECONO light hasn't worked for years and I've never got round to fixing it. It if isn't too difficult, maybe your post will inspire me to do this - and check the others too!

Hi Konrad,

My ECONO light hasn't worked for years and I've never got round to fixing it. It if isn't too difficult, maybe your post will inspire me to do this - and check the others too!

Hi Dave,

It is not difficult to change. One of the better cars for access.

I forgot to mention that you need to lower the steering wheel to make things easier.

Any problems post back.

Konrad

• 3 months later...

Hi guys !

Quick question for MK1 owners.

My open door light in instrument panel went out. Ok,no problem,changed it and its working now. I look closely at instrument panel and i dont have any bulbs in econo. I try to insert new bulb and the econo is still not showing :( Can anybody share what can i do,i really wont to have econo lights working. When i buy this car it never had econo light fit it so ... :( I was a previus owner of carina 2 and i really like econo lights in instrument panel.

Please help me ...

Hi guys !

My open door light in instrument panel went out. Ok,no problem,changed it and its working now. I look closely at instrument panel and i dont have any bulbs in econo. I try to insert new bulb and the econo is still not showing :( Can anybody share what can i do,i really wont to have econo lights working. When i buy this car it never had econo light fit it so ... :( I was a previus owner of carina 2 and i really like econo lights in instrument panel.

Please help me ...

I think your car is the 'Scandinavian' version. This version is different and the cars are not 'Lean burn', so no Econo light. Unless I am wrong!

Hi guys !

Please help me ...

I think your car is the 'Scandinavian' version. This version is different and the cars are not 'Lean burn', so no Econo light. Unless I am wrong!

How could be scandinavian version when it was manufactured in UK ? My car is labeled Linea Terra. It has lights for econo in speedometer.

Hi guys !

Please help me ...

How could be scandinavian version when it was manufactured in UK ? My car is labeled Linea Terra. It has lights for econo in speedometer.

When cars are built for different markets for that period of time, to save costs, the same instrument panel is used and the circuit boards will be different. Obviously the speedo and rev counter dials will be different. My instrument panel has redundant features for other models like the diesels.

A clue is could be if you have a separate single coil, with a HT lead to the distributor on the engine, the four leads to the spark plugs. My car has two coils with two HT leads each going straight to the spark plugs.

As I said before, I could be wrong about the cars not having lean burn and there is a fault with your system.

I presume you have swapped a working bulb to confirm the circuit is not working? It is possible to have a dud new bulb.

Ok. Thanks for your help !

Send you a PM !

Further to my earlier reply regarding the different ignition systems, here are the links.

The following shows the general lean burn ignition setup: http://www.partsbase...oil-spark-plug/

This next link shows the other ignition system I mentioned: http://www.partsbase...oil-spark-plug/

This link shows a third system I did not mention: http://www.partsbase...oil-spark-plug/

• 1 month later...

Good post, I have been without an economy light and a light behind the clock for almost two years. The unlit clock is annoying and the economy light would be interesting to have.

I had not done anything about them as I expected to have to take all the screws out as in the Haynes manual, take out a bulb, put it all back together, go and buy bulbs using the removed one as a sample to be sure I got the right ones, return home, take the screws out and then finally fit new bulbs. As I could live without them they remained as they were.

Thanks Konrad, now I know which bulbs I need. I can buy them when I am passing a motor factor, leave them in the glovebox and then fit them when I have a bit of time and I am in the mood.

• Like 1