Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vehicle Vinyl Wrapping

i cue

Hello ,

Has anybody had part or the whole of their vehicle vinyl wrapped? If you did part of the vehicle, is the colour of this part different from the rest, as it is meant to be protected from UV rays from the sun? Wondering whether to have the bonnet done. If the car did need a respray, presumably it is even harder to deal with as this would have to be removed first.Or is it so good that stones do not penetrate?

I have found a site that shows a recording of how it is done so would be interested in your experience.

Jane

Interesting DVLA don't need to know of colour change but some insurance companies do! I was thinking of using the same colour but just using this to protect the paintwork. I was looking at it on http//www.motormods.co.uk where you can see a demo.

Jane

You can have Clear 3M or other Brands to protect your paint.

Web Sites and some Wrappers might say the DVLA do not need to know when doing a colour change.

You would not require to say, if you had a Solid Red car & went for a Metallic Red Wrap.

or Stayed Red but had a 2 Tone Finish..

It is he simplest of things if the Colour in Main on the vehicle changes with a Wrap or Respray even if Temporary to do the Change,

then just Change back when you change colour.

If your car pings an APR the Colour is on the Database.

The Police might see a car, run a check and they might be stopping you if it does not Match Registration Number

& Vehicle Description.

No problem with Wraps,

but its more than letting the Insurance Company know,

They might or might not be wanting to provide cover.

They are unlikely to be Authorising a Repair where the car panels get fixed, Sprayed then Wrapped again.

george

Taz on here had the front of his iQ wrapped with clear. I'm sure he posted pictures of the process?

Hi Mark,

This is what I was thinking of doing, just clear to protect the vulnerable areas. I have done a search on Taz but there are loads .How do I find the right person?

I would like to know if he thought it worthwhile?

Jane

His build thread is on this page at present,

but he is in America.

I have 2 pictures from the thread i will try and post, until he can reply himself maybe.

post-104736-0-07994900-1390399925_thumb.

I am of a mind that this type of protection is pointless. Are you going to put plastic on the seats as well?

In 15,000 miles of driving I have had 2 or maybe 3 chips on the car. Each an d every one has been rendered invisible by using the Chipex repair system. Not cheap but 100% effective and a lot cheaper than putting cling film all over the car.

http://www.chipex.co.uk/?gclid=CKPXm_P4kbwCFWoOwwoddXMAYQ

I had the front end wrapped when I first bought the iQ. It was much harder to do since there were no patterns at the time. Now 3M offers pre-cut patterns to make the job easier.

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

DSCN0089.jpg

• Like 1

You know what Taz, I forgot you had that done -after so many mods is it any wonder? ;) Also, I'd like to say that you can't tell it's on there from your later sets of photos where the front is visible. As for stone chips... due to the damage done by a git from Scotland we had some repair work done and I was asked if I wanted the bumper sprayed too so it matched the front right wing/fender. I said yes and the difference was very noticeable. Our car is getting on now, being a 59 plate, but it's already got more stone chips on it, due to the pish poor road surfaces around here. If money were not a problem I would get something like this done, or of those Wraps, no, not a McDonalds wrap. :)

I would say it is worth having done if your front end is blemish free. Mine has quite a few chips now, can only really see them up close when washing but I know they are there.

Thanks Taz for all the photos you did a great job but I think iI will use the Chipex as suggested by Mark, (thanks Mark) particularly as he has had good results using it. Also I will only have to use it as and when needed.

Thanks to everybody who has helped me make this decision.

Jane

You're welcome ( I assume you mean Nick not Mark ! :-))

Frankly covering the front of the car with plastic is extreme measures to forgo what is essentially wear and tear.

I can assure you that the Chipex system works very well. You need to follow the instructions very carefully. The repair looks a total mess until the final stages when the blending occurs.

It is also easy to use far too much paint. Which isn't a problem, just wasteful.

The kit for the white pearl finish comes with the clear coat. But I didn't user it as the repair to the base coat is so good I didn't feel it needed it ..... that and the fact that once the chip had been fixed it's damn hard to find it again to put on the clear coat.!

• Like 1

Nick, a tip for next time you do a paint fix, put a little bit of blue-tac near to it, or some low-tac masking tape. I had a similar issue a while back with a scratch on the drivers door and had I not put some masking tape below it, would have found it difficult to see in the bright sunlight. Yeah, it was a while back, raindrops would be the problem now.

• 3 years later...
On 1/24/2014 at 9:24 PM, bob809 said:

Nick, a tip for next time you do a paint fix, put a little bit of blue-tac near to it, or some low-tac masking tape. I had a similar issue a while back with a scratch on the drivers door and had I not put some masking tape below it, would have found it difficult to see in the bright sunlight. Yeah, it was a while back, raindrops would be the problem now.

Is it beneficial to add paint before adding vehicle wrap to the vehicle. Those wraps help in protecting the paint and change the style attributes of the vehicle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links