Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg For New Auris Ts 1.6 Valvematic Cvt?

Truthseeker

Love my new AurisTouring Sports, apart from the MPG. Had the car for almost 4 weeks/400 miles now, and averaging around 37mpg according to on board computer, and 33mpg brim to brim calculation. Mostly non urban driving, and keeping to a steady 55mph with cruise control set most of the time.

Anyone else with the same engine/CVT on the new Auris (hatch or estate), getting similar/better/worse figures. Just curious as was not expecting much more than 40mpg anyway. I expect/hope figures will get slightly better when engine run in a bit more.

I know that the real life MPG figures according to the Honest John website, show that the HSD version gets around 57mpg, but no data (apart from my entry) for the 1.6 petrol version.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-touring-sport-2013

Many thanks.

Also the consumption will be adversely affected by the colder temperatures we have currently.

the EU combined figure for your car is 47.1 & that's typically optimistic by about 15% which would put what you can realistically expect somewhere around 39-40mpg.

I looked at HJ's Real MPG figures for 1.6 cars (hatchbacks and saloons) for an earlier topic on poor fuel consumption:-

As regards Real MPG figures for petrol 1.6 cars, the following makes interesting reading:
Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16V - average 36.7
Hyundai i30 (2007-2012)* - average 40.8
Kia Cee'd (2010-2012)* - average 38.2
Chevrolet Cruze saloon - average 33.6
Mazda 3 - average 37.5
Nissan Qashqai - average 38.9
Citroen C4 - average 38.9
Peugeot 308 Vti - average 38.7
Renault Megane - average 36.5
Toyota Auris (2013) - average 40.0

The Touring Sports is slightly heavier than the hatchback (30kg), so consumption may be slightly more.

Knew I should have gone for the Auris TS HSD.

Did a quick check last week and my 1.6 auto cvt is getting about 36 mpg around town.

Ken - was your mpg figure via the dash readout?

My figures are mainly extra urban, as we use the wife's Aygo for local shopping trips etc.

Ken - was your mpg figure via the dash readout?

My figures are mainly extra urban, as we use the wife's Aygo for local shopping trips etc.

It was done the old fashioned way :-)

Tank brimmed, zero the odo,drive around for a few days,brim the tank,note the odo reading then do the math.

The car was in "normal"mode not sport and gear box in full auto (no flappy paddle malarky).

Most miles were done around town with a couple of short motorway trips.

Thanks Ken.

The old fashioned "brim to brim fill" is the only real mpg figure to rely on.

Like you, I have never tried or need to use the Sport Mode or the flappy paddles.

36 "real" mpg, mainly around town not too bad I suppose.

Interested to read this topic. Anyone care to give their experience with driving the CTV version?

I have had a short drive in a CVT Avensis and was quite impressed, I currently drive a 1.6 manual petrol Auris and am thinking about

getting the auto version.

Apart from the (relatively) poor mpg, although probably the same as you achieve, the new model Auris CVT is superb. The engine is smooth and very quite, and the ride is very, very comfortable, even on the standard 17" alloys.

In a word - brilliant!

PS: Ignore most of the road testers verdicts on the interior as well!

I have the 1.6 Auris Icon with CVT gearbox.

It seem to work well once you get used to the way it works.

There is no slight jump as a normal auto box gives between changes,acceleration is very smooth.

If you give it the beans things get a bit frantic,but you get used to it.

All in all I would recommend it.

My thanks to you both, most reports I read are happy with the CVT including yours, I wonder why some people are against it?

I think because it takes time to adjust to the different driving style, and most testers only have the car for a day or less.

Hi, I have the new Auris 2013 1.6 cvt petrol model. Over total mileage of 8,000, and calculating on the petrol put in and the ODO,

I am getting an average of 34 mpg. This checks against honest John's test figures. I maintain that it is a nice car to drive, but thirsty, thirsty. You need deep pockets.

My dealer checked it out because I wasn't happy. He said he could get 41mpg, but never gave me any stats. Turns out he had calculated by the dashboard calculator. When I refilled the tank, he had actually got 37mpg. He got that with cruise control tests on empty roads, too.

You have just got to accept that it is a thirsty car.

It may be relatively thirsty but from the Honest John Real MPG figures at post 4 for other 1.6 cars in the C-segment of the market (mainly hatchbacks and manuals, rather than an estate with CVT) the 1.6 offers similar consumption to competing cars.

Thanks David and Mike.

Nice to know that they are all the same, but not so nice that MPG won't improve. Never mind, as only do around 5k pa and not a fast driver, and the relaxed, smooth and comfortable drive, more than makes up for the poor MPG.

Great car!

My last car (until it got stolen) was a Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 134BHP 0-60 8.5 secs.

I do virtually the same miles every week and the Auris is about £5.00 a week cheaper to fill then the Suzuki.

Mind you I did drive the Suzuki like I had stolen it !!!

Know what you mean Ken.

If I was comparing my Auris MPG against some of my previous cars.......!

Worst was an Subaru Impreza Turbo at around 22MPG - great fun though.

Drive a bit more sedately now, but if I could get an average of 40MPG showing on the dash readout that would satisfy me, even though in reality it would probably be 10% less.