Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Locking

mudinuri

Hi all,

This is my first Toyota, a 1998 Toyota RAV 2.0 Litre petrol and I"m getting used to the quirkyness of it.

Having nearly always been a committed Landrover Freelander owner I keep on comparing like for like,

and most of the time the Rav comes out on top, but, I do find the lack of a Remote Central locking strange in such a nice vehicle. Was it an added extra or did none of the earlier Ravs have Remote central locking? Also when I do lock the Rav with the key I can"t see a Red flashing light on the dashboard telling me that it"s locked. Should there be a warning light? and if so where should it be?

Toyota Owners club, Brilliant.

Thanks.

post-136481-0-36892400-1390556013_thumb.

• Like 1

Nice looking car. This car had remote central locking operated by a separate 2 button fob. It would appear that either the fob has been lost (2 were supplied with the car when new) or withheld because the remote system stopped working - a fairly common problem on the 4.1 If you had an used fob - it can be reprogrammed. FYI - the ignition key has an impregnated chip that operates the immobiliser so a plain copy key won't start the car.

Hi, thanks for your advice on the remote locking. Is it possible to buy a used Fob on eBay and when I get one, how do I get it

reprogrammed? Would it have to be done at a Toyota dealer? and are there any guarantees that the remote central locking would work? Sorry to ask so many questions. What part of Wales are you from? I was born and bred in Swansea but now live in Hampshire.

Cheers

David

Presumably the central locking system works using a key. The 2 button fobs do appear on eBay but not very often - but be careful you don't buy a repair fob - these don't have internals and you'd need to transfer the internals from your old fob. You can programme the fob yourself - theres lots of places on the internet that details the method. No guarantees I'm afraid but theres a reasonable chance that all will be OK if the central locking is working by key.

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Does anyone out there have a Toyota Rav key fob with the internals that I could buy?

cheers