Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake Adjustment

cooper12000

hi all this has prob been covered 1000 times but couldn't find anything relevant when I did a quick search.

my 07 plate avensis estate failed its mot today on the handbrake lever.

ie. Parking brake lever has no reserve travel [3.1.6b]

as it didn't fail the brake test im assuming its just the cable that needs adjustment.

1)where does one adjust it from

2) if its at the central consol how does one get to the adjuster

many thanks

Coop

Hi Coop

With this model the handbrake lever does travel almost to the top, I have had two of these now both bought new and this is as they are made, be very careful carrying out any adjustment.

If the MOT tester is not familiar with your model then they will think it has a problem when in fact no problem is present, from memory I think that the lever will travel 7 or 8 clicks to engage the brake and it is quite easy to pull the lever right to the top.

This is not a fault

EDIT

Just checked for you and Toyota advise 7 to 9 clicks to be correct.

Hello Coop,

The correct method to adjust the handbrake is first to park the car car on level solid ground and chock the front wheels, slightly slacken the rear wheel nuts slightly.

jack up the rear end remove the rear wheels and release the hand brake, there is a rubber bung in the brake disc, remove this and with the hole at the bottom adjust (turn) the star wheel inside, (you may need a torch to see it) with a large flat bladed screw driver until you feel some slight resistance when rotating the disc, now do the other side. Normally this will be sufficient to take any excess free play from the handbrake lever remembering that ALL Avensis have a lot of normal movement in the lever. If you are not satisfied at this point then and only then should you adjust the cables under the lever but it won't normally be required.

I have attached a picture of the rear brakes for you, click on it to enlarge it.

Regards Pete.

EDIT Revband you just replied before me and I agree 100% but the info is there anyway ... CHEERS.

post-74463-0-29311600-1390579830_thumb.j

Hi Exvec

I have just read through your handbrake adjustment link and whilst it gives good straightforward info on the procedure to adjust the cable for anyone who doesn't know how to access the cable adjusters, the 3 to 4 clicks adjustment is too tight for this model, and should be between 7 and 9 clicks.

I feel sure that Toyota have very good reason for the what appears to be excessive travel.

firstly thanks for the responces

whilst I understand the handbrake has to have a certain amount of effecancy (holding the car) ant tolerance to allow for pad wear and cable stretch. I fail to see how a car can pass the brake test yet fail the lever bit. maybe its me being thick. does anyone know how the messure this? should it be fully on within so many clicks?

thanks coop

ok I have just been out to the car and played with the handbrake...... maximum amount of clicks I can get out of the lever travel is 12 and that was pulling hard on it, if I have it on 9 clicks... the car will stay still (on a slight slope) but the second u even show it the clutch it moves with no resistance at all.

I take it that my model doesn't have auto adjust like on the old drum brakes.

I will try adjusting them up in the morning using the above procedure. if I manage (this is me were talking about) to adjust them too much how does one undo it.

coop

The Avensis T25 does have a handbrake drum built into the back of the disc and they dont self adjust unfortunately.

Pete.

Hi Exvec

I have just read through your handbrake adjustment link and whilst it gives good straightforward info on the procedure to adjust the cable for anyone who doesn't know how to access the cable adjusters, the 3 to 4 clicks adjustment is too tight for this model, and should be between 7 and 9 clicks.

I feel sure that Toyota have very good reason for the what appears to be excessive travel.

Its not to tight for me Rb o,er..and certainly 12 clicks is far too much as said i like mine to be more responsive and the cable does stretch over time as when i did mine all the adjustment had practically been used up so there is give in the sysyem somewhere and it wasn't the inner shoes themselves..horses for course my friend.

Hi Again Exvec

I am sorry if you have misunderstood my post, it was not intended to be critical, as I said the link gives a concise and clear description of adjusting the cable, also as stated if Toyota supply this model new with the long travel on the handbrake and also recommend that it should have between 7 and 9 clicks then there must be a reason, perhaps one of the Toyota techs who contribute to the board will come along and explain the reason.

I for one was surprised when I bought my first one at the amount of handbrake travel and did question it, also when it went for it's first MOT at a non Toyota garage they where about to fail it on the excessive travel and I had to get them to ring the local Toyota dealer for clarification after this the car passed with a clean sheet and subsequent MOTs on this car and the second one I bought passed without question.

Again sorry if you misunderstood my post.

Hi Again Exvec

I am sorry if you have misunderstood my post, it was not intended to be critical, as I said the link gives a concise and clear description of adjusting the cable, also as stated if Toyota supply this model new with the long travel on the handbrake and also recommend that it should have between 7 and 9 clicks then there must be a reason, perhaps one of the Toyota techs who contribute to the board will come along and explain the reason.

I for one was surprised when I bought my first one at the amount of handbrake travel and did question it, also when it went for it's first MOT at a non Toyota garage they where about to fail it on the excessive travel and I had to get them to ring the local Toyota dealer for clarification after this the car passed with a clean sheet and subsequent MOTs on this car and the second one I bought passed without question.

Again sorry if you misunderstood my post.

No worries revband the post wasn't meant to be antagonistic .Just my take on it,

ok I adjusted the handbrake up today using the little cog thingie (man im full of technical terms) and hopefully it will now go through its mot with out a hitch. the handbrake is definatly firmer and it just happed to adjust up to 7 clicks so I cant see there being any more issues

many thanks for all the advice

coop

ok I adjusted the handbrake up today using the little cog thingie (man im full of technical terms) and hopefully it will now go through its mot with out a hitch. the handbrake is definatly firmer and it just happed to adjust up to 7 clicks so I cant see there being any more issues

many thanks for all the advice

coop

Thats good then