Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Condensation In Headlamps And Rear Light Clusters

Syncopator

The car was bought in May/June 2013. The condensation started with the advent of the recent foul weather.

Is this a known problem, and is there a cure for it?

I also get condensation on the rear side windows. Playing tunes with the air flow system on the dash makes no dfifference. I assume that it's due to poor air flow through the vehicle. Are there, in fact, any vents to provide a through air flow?

As regards the side windows, have you checked for wet carpet and leaks in the boot? The Aygo is prone to leaks via the high level brake light and rear light clusters - the condensation in the rear lights could bd due to a problem with the seals. As the car is a 2013 model, go back to your Toyota dealer and get them to look at it.

Thank you FROSTYBALLS.

No, I haven't checked for leaks, will do so when the sky gets over its incontinence.

I get the same on my September 2011 Aygo and condense and once ice on the inside of the windscreen! It all disappears in the warmer weather. Let me know if you do have any joy sorting this - I just put up with it and think they are not well put together cars !

Same here. Bought a 10 plate a week ago and the one headlight and both rear lights have condensation. Just poor seals I guess. On some cars they are vacume sealed so there is no air to condense but these are not.

I'll take in to the dealer on Monday or Tuesday and get them to check it.

Hey!

I also have an aygo, bought it in januari 2014 brand new. When i drive it out in the cold and park in my garage were it is warm both headlight and rear light clusters get a little condensation inside of them. i have read thru the car manual :bookworm: and on page 272 (swedish manual) it says "Temporary Condensation is normal but if your see water drops building inside the light clusters you should contact your nearest workshop Toyota for consulation. i also hade this on my 2010 Citroen Berlingo. In both headlights it would form condensation but when the heat from the bulb heated up, the condensations dissaperaed, according to Citroen this was normal.

Altought the condensations on the rear windows is nothing i have had problem with yet, You should check for leaks just to make sure. I spoke to my Toyota dealer before buying the car and asked them about the water leak problems, he admited it had been a problem but he had never heard about a new ( 2011 on onwards) Aygo leaking. He said they had fitted thicker seals to the doors and boot. If i find my Aygo leaking someday i am going to have an epic tantrum of biblical proportions on Toyota :giljotiini:

It's a bit of a cop out to say this is normal when it isn't normal in every car. The fact is that some people never drive when they need headlights on for long enough to dry it out and for the rest of the day it looks unsightly. Our car has had it permanently for nearly 2 weeks now. Yes I could put a hairdryer on it but if they say it's 'normal' then it's going to come back. In contrast my, car a Fiesta 2009, has never had it.

But on the plus side it doesn't leak and she loves driving it and loves the fact that she has done 60 miles and the gauge is still showing full ! :)

Just be aware that the bar type fuel gauges on current Toyotas don't operate in a linear fashion. They tend to stay on the first bar for quite a number of miles, and, as the tank empties, the bars disappear more quickly.

It isn't a problem as long as you're aware they operate like this.

Thanks. I had heard they do it but after her 35mpg Streetka with a tiny tank she thinks this is brilliant.

I have however just found a major fault. A back number plate bulb has blown and it has cost me £1.30 for 2 off eBay. Disgusting! LOL :)

Thanks. I had heard they do it but after her 35mpg Streetka with a tiny tank she thinks this is brilliant.

I have however just found a major fault. A back number plate bulb has blown and it has cost me £1.30 for 2 off Ebay. Disgusting! LOL :)

.... and some people are disappointed about getting a similar figure out of their Auris 1.6 CVT

It's a bit of a cop out to say this is normal when it isn't normal in every car. The fact is that some people never drive when they need headlights on for long enough to dry it out and for the rest of the day it looks unsightly. Our car has had it permanently for nearly 2 weeks now. Yes I could put a hairdryer on it but if they say it's 'normal' then it's going to come back. In contrast my, car a Fiesta 2009, has never had it.

But on the plus side it doesn't leak and she loves driving it and loves the fact that she has done 60 miles and the gauge is still showing full ! :)

I filled mine up today after 300 miles and got 50mpg. Pretty good as my son has been getting the hang of driving it and it has been on a lot of short runs. I think 45 mpg is the worst I have seen and my average over 13000 miles is 55 mpg.

Apropos fuel consumption, my vehicele has covered 1,800 miles in the 8 months I've had it. I have measured the consumption 3 times, each time getting the same result, 39 m.p.g.

Most of my journeys are about 14 miles return, with an occasional (half a dozen times in that period) 40 - 50 mile trip, and I don't have a heavy or over-excited right foot.

Very disappointing.

The dealer will make some checks when the car goes in for the condensation remedy.

Apropos fuel consumption, my vehicele has covered 1,800 miles in the 8 months I've had it. I have measured the consumption 3 times, each time getting the same result, 39 m.p.g.

Most of my journeys are about 14 miles return, with an occasional (half a dozen times in that period) 40 - 50 mile trip, and I don't have a heavy or over-excited right foot.

Very disappointing.

The dealer will make some checks when the car goes in for the condensation remedy.

Are the journeys in heavy traffic with lots of stop starts? I think if you click on my fuelly logo below you can change from my RAV4 to the Aygo and see all my fill ups over 13000 miles. The last few have included my son learning how to drive the Aygo and he is often in 2nd and 3rd gear with the occasional 4th but not 5th yet! I enjoy driving it with maximum acceleration in lower gears (but within speed limits) at times, so could improve on those figures if I wanted. The front tyres will need replacing soon, which is a shame but I hope they will be cheap!

Yesterday I could only see condensation in the nearside front headlight unit.

David

No David, most of the trips, though short, are not in heavy traffic etc.

Your results are very impressive.

No David, most of the trips, though short, are not in heavy traffic etc.

Your results are very impressive.

Thanks. I am puzzled why you are not getting more than 39 mpg. Do you measure brim to brim? I fill up until the pump first clicks out and record all results on Fuelly - the individual trips may not be accurate due to different pumps etc but the overall average is accurate.

Over 1800 miles at 39 mpg you will have used 46 gallons whereas at 55 mpg I will have used 33 gallons. I hope your Aygo improves on fuel consumption - maybe the dealer will spot something?

David

I reset the trip recorder to zero after filling up until the pump automatically stops. At the next fill up I note the quantity of fuel delivered and the trip recorder reading, reset it, then calculate the comsumption.

The figures always came to around 39, surprisingly consistent actually.

• Like 1

How many miles to the tank?

39 if correct means there has to be something wrong. I get 45mpg (genuine calculated) from my Fiesta 1.4 without even trying.

39 if correct means there has to be something wrong. I get 45mpg (genuine calculated) from my Fiesta 1.4 without even trying.

What about your Aygo??

We are waiting to find out. Bought it 2 weeks today and I brimmed it and reset the trip. She only uses it a couple of times a week so will take some time to get through it !

• Like 1

39 if correct means there has to be something wrong.

Don't remember, I didn't keep a record of the figures.

Er, yes.

39 if correct means there has to be something wrong.

Don't remember, I didn't keep a record of the figures.

Er, yes.

Not sure why you are asking about miles to the tank?

I try to fill up before I am too low - I don't want to suck up muck from the bottom of the tank. So I would normally fill up after 300 to 350 miles but there is always plenty left in the tank. Looking at my Fuelly figures I did once do 425 miles. I am sure some owners will stretch things more but the Aygo gives me a far better range than our petrol RAV4 that is more like 200 - 250 miles before we fill up.

David

Miles to a tank is a good rule of thumb and interesting to compare even if it's not very scientific. I brim the tank then rest the trip and see how many miles I can get from the tank before needing to fill again. This is easier on cars with a trip computer that has miles left etc.

Miles to a tank is a good rule of thumb and interesting to compare even if it's not very scientific. I brim the tank then rest the trip and see how many miles I can get from the tank before needing to fill again. This is easier on cars with a trip computer that has miles left etc.

You're right - I am a physicist and I think it would not be too harsh to say that on an Aygo that would not be scientific at all :lol:

Still we all like to do things differently!

Very disappointing.

Any news? I would be very interested to know how you got on at the dealers.

David