Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Wear Issue.

Bodgit-fixit-run

Hiya.

I've notice an od wear pattern on my XT2 front tyres. They are both worn on the left edge that is outside of nearside tyre and inside of offside tyre. Tracking is ok but am now developing a wobble on the stearing.

Any thoughts would be useful. Had the car since new so know it well and done 133k miles. Clearly not all on these tyres.

• Like 1

Faulty tracking will usually cause both front tyres to scrub on the the same edge - inside or outside. Significant alignment issues at the rear can however have a peculiar effect on the front tyres. Consequently on modern cars - 4 wheel laser alignment is infinitely better than simple front wheel alignment. The peculiar pattern you describe can be due to out of spec camber angle on one side - often due to a worn bush or strut mount. I'd suggest a full 4 wheel geometry check - toe, castor angle, camber angle and KPI.

Steering wobble or shake isn't caused by out of spec geometry issues - but tyre wear patterns caused by such issues could eventually result in in wobble / shake. Wheel balancing should improve this.

• Like 1

Ok Thanks for that. I need to find somewhere where that can be done. Any thoughts for Leicestershire?

• 4 months later...

never got the geometry done but I think I've just found the problem. Rear offside coil spring snapped right up in the retaining cup. It will certainly account for the wear and consequent wobble. Only found it by accident as I was replacing the brake pads and disks so giving everything a good clean in the wheel arch as one does.

Spring breakage seems on the increase - a very rare occurrence a few years ago.An interesting article from the AA suggests that the problem is due to manufacturers ongoing quest to reduce weight by making springs thinner / lighter. Tolerance to salt is also an issue but I can't help thinking that the state of some of our roads must play a part.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/coil-springs-breaking.html

Scary bit is I was towing my caravan round Wales last week. Am I lucky or what?

Mine snapped there as well and it was the same side, very strange....Ive seen a few snap in the same place and same side...

Never noticed any driving issues, not much snaps off to be honest to cause much alarm......about 2-3 inches from what I recall...

Seemed to have snapped at a rust spot where the coating had come off.

They certainly don't make them like they used to. I had a spring break on my Prius after owning it for 7 years. That's the first spring I have ever had break in over 30 years on the road. Couldn't have been particularly uncommon or unexpected since the dealer had spares in stock.