Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 Steering Rack, Mr T Says It Is Loose

fractureman

Hi I did a search & found a topic about packing with grease however just wanted to ask you guys advice first before I start the job (when weather is nicer)

Mr T on a recent free inspection said my steering rack was loose, I don't know how they can tell that on a visual inspection buy hey ho.

Just wondered when I place car on axel stands where to start looking to try to spot what they say is loose. I must admit the car does drift a little to left or right at 60-70 mph. I thought tracking at first but maybe I need to look at the steering rack first as tires wear evenly so sure tracking is spot on.

Know Konrad is the master on mk1's but anyone else can point me in right direction please.

I have Haynes manual but only use as a picture book way too much grease on me hands to bother with there stuff ;)

Greg

Hi Greg,

are you sure the rack is not just loose on it's mountings as opposed to being worn?

It would be better to check for this with the wheels on the ground or better still on a set of small car ramps etc, so then with you lying under the front of the car get someone to rock the steering wheel back on forth and see if the rack moves side to side slightly.

Pete

• Like 1

I agree with Pete.

Saying a steering rack is loose after an inspection, is very vague! I would think the inspection would be more specific on what is actually wrong.

On the Avensis the track rod is in 2 parts, inner and outer. The outer track rods tend too wear more.

The rack itself may be moving on the bushes, so the bushes are warn.

Worst scenario is the rack itself is warn. I don't think so.

When you check for play, grab the road wheel horizontally and rock the wheel left and right. You may need an assistant to rock the steering wheel, as Pete mentioned already.

Tracking can cause the car to wonder, plus grooves caused by lorries and wind or turbulence. I think your tracking is okay and the other conditions may be the cause.

A good independent garage or mot station can tell what may be wrong with the steering.

Just goes to show... my dad's Focus has almost 2cm of play in the steering wheel (As in you can wiggle it 2cm left-right and the front wheels won't even notice :lol:) and apparently this is considered normal! :eek::lol:

Ok I'll start with outer track rod end. Tracking is fine as both front wheels wear evenly. Had 2 new ball joints fired recent cos dust caps split.

I let independent do cos I'd do myself normal.

I'll check for play, independent mech already done that. Mot tester ZERO advisor so sure if a prob they would have alerted me.

Sure is fine just need check myself.

It is roads & camber tact makes tue drift.

I just seem to correct to go straight line always right hand down ;)

• Like 1

Greg,

My steering is just like yours and I think it is the rubber bush mounts. They are 15 years old. The MOT say the car is fine like yours too!

Any noises and feeling is just the mk1 Avensis set up. The actual handling and steering response is fine. I did increase the tyre pressures. Grip is good even though the tyres will be due for a change, after 2 years.

I will be doing some checks in spring, but unless there is anything wrong, I will leave alone.

You are not alone and if I do find anything, the forum will be the first to know.

Konrad

Thanks a lot I know you know your stuff.

I do too just asked a question.

Mr T does a free check & gives you traffic light.

I ignore AFTER asking a question cos it's always green, amber means have a look & be preoared to stop.

Cheers bud

Greg :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links