Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg And Build Quality On Yaris Hybrid

xray_matt

A lot of debate about reality mileage here which is always interesting to read.

Yesterday I went to work and back, 10 miles, ensuring I used the Pulse & Glide technique carefully. Car did seem to run a lot in EV mode. MPG 51.8

Today I went to work and back using my normal careful driving avoiding power section of meter where possible but making no effort to Pulse & Glide. MPG 51.5

So for my work trip P&G makes very little difference. Heater was on and traffic similar on each day.

The main issue for me is that I was sold a car based on good economy, green credentials and practicality. The car definitely meets the last 2 criteria but when I factor in the extra £35 a month the Hybrid option has cost me I am not getting that back compared to a Yaris petrol 1.3 or diesel. I do get a nice car with smooth acceleration and nice gadgets. I was promised 83mpg, factored in a 25% reduction for the EU Hyper-exagerated claims so expected 60 mpg. I get 51 mpg in winter and 60-65 mpg in summer so I guess I got roughly what I expected. I also have the satisfaction of knowing I am reducing my greenhouse gas emissions and no longer pumping out diesel pollutants.

I don't think Toyota have misrepresented the car but like many industries they do take their claims to the max. But if you compare that to BT who promised my mother 'up to 18 Mb/s' speed on her broadband, gave an estimated speed connection of 12Mb/s when we ordered the line and we are getting 2Mb/s! Now thats misrepresenting your product!

Now what does put a smile on my face is not going to the pump and paying £80 to fill my car up but paying £32 instead. But then I did go from a diesel Jaguar to Toyota Yaris so I guess that isn't all Hybrid benefits. :-)

J

That seems pretty reasonable and I will be happy if we end up getting that especially as the car ticks all the other boxes. I have slightly been playing devil's advocate on here because I did feel sorry for someone in the original mpg thread who seemed to be being told he was being a bit stupid. I think for those who are only getting 45 mpg they are entitled to be a bit miffed, at least until they find out about this stuff.

BTW - if you can hook up to Virgin Media they put me on 160 mb/s and I get up to 162 ! Cheaper than BT and I've had no significant issues in the last 15 years but I know they do get a bad press. Perhaps I've got the knack of driving their connections well ;-)

Dave

Took delivery of my new Yaris HSD on Tue.

My commute is 102 miles round trip and on Wed I managed 51mpg, yesterday was 53 and today 55mpg.

44 miles of this is M40 motorway with some rural A and B roads back home.

And this is in darkness, I leave before it gets light and return after it gets dark.

So overall, thus far I am pretty pleased, it is a beautiful thing to waft along in. Lovely and smooth, quiet and refined.

Will update over the next few weeks as things hopefully improve slightly as it gets run in and the daylight returns.

• Like 1

Well I got to drive my wife's Yaris for more than a couple of miles today. A two legged journey of about 6 miles each way. A shortish stretch of about a mile with junctions , a set of lights which were red and up an incline, and a couple of roundabouts. Then about 4 miles of dual carriageway and a mile or two of uphill country B road. Now I did try and drive economically but not much different to normal really, trying to take some of the tips on here but not excessively so. I got 49 mpg out and 54.5 mpg back which was generally more downhill. It was daylight, about 13C and I noticed I'd left the A/C on after the initial demist. So pretty good really I would say for a first attempt in reasonably mixed driving. (I didn't go above 60 on the dual carriageway I must say though).

Dave

...which probably means you were doing a true 55-56 mph in reality...

Took delivery of my new Yaris HSD on Tue.

Might be worth checking your tyre pressures............ Mine were at 48 PSI. :dontgetit:

What you need to realise is that the mpg quoted is what the government expects, not figures quoted by Toyota. When I bought my TSpirit, I asked the salesman this very question. He told me that the mpg figures quoted are from the government and not from the manufacturer.He also told me that 70mpg was the best he'd been able to get from the hybrid he was using.

Hope this helps.

Twang53.

The tests are conducted in pretty well every case by the maker. The "government" don't have the facility. However, there seems to have been very little done to audit the results, and detect the scams, hence the frankly unbelievable numbers.

If what you say is true,I'd like to know why they think it's acceptable to be shall we say? economical with the truth.

As has already heen stated, the official consumption figures are obtained using a standard testing regime, and are intended to be used to provide a comparison between models - they don't provide real life consumption figures. Any manufacturer will want to show their product in the best possible light, so will endeavour to achieve the best results in the EU consumption tests.

The same scenario applies to the EU energy labelling scheme for domestic appliances, and the EU tyre labelling scheme - the figures are intended to provide a comparison only and are not strictly comparable to real life, it is the manufacturer who conducts a standard testing regime, not government, and, again, the manufacturer will want to show their products in the best possible light.

An interesting article on "gaming" the tests: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9821ec3a-76ea-11e4-944f-00144feabdc0.html

And another which points the finger at BMW and Audi, but comments Toyota are more modest:) http://www.antaisce.org/articles/bmw-fiddling-eu-fuel-consumption-figures-most

Reading the FT article gets blocked by a message asking one to subscribe.

Remove cookies temporarily? FT.com is the site. You could also "subscribe" gratis if you check the options?

I have a free FT.com subscription. No spam or hassle..

Same here. A good read. Sometimes I even buy the Saturday edition to find out how the rich live!

Last week I did a trip from Gosforth to Chester-Le-Street return, we have a site down there. The current A1 dual carriage way journey has about 8 miles of single lane roadworks at 40mph. I got 51.2MPG.

Today I did the same trip but filled up at a Shell garage with their standard Unleaded, I normally do supermarket fuel. To my surprise the same trip with about the same traffic I got 61.2MPG.

I am now wondering if the fuel you buy does make a difference. I am not aware I drove any differently to the previous trip. I was stuck behind a lorry for a good bit of the trip and having watched BBC Watchdog last night and their tip of using the slipstream created by a lorry to reduce air resistance may have made a difference too.

Not scientific, but interesting.

J

I didn't see that but have read it before. But how do you maintain a safe stopping distance and remain in the slip stream or does it extend back further than I think.

While I'm here - where are the tyre pressures printed within the car? Tried inside door and fuel cap - doesn't say in the manual.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave.

In my TSpirit, the tyre pressures are inside the glove box. Try looking there.

Twang.

... where are the tyre pressures printed within the car? - doesn't say in the manual.

Hi Dave

Page 435-6 of the FULL manual - download from toyota-europe.com!

Do you have to register separately for this? Not accepting <My Toyota> login

Dave

Yes - it is a Toyota Europe website, rather than Toyota GB.

Hi Dave.

In my TSpirit, the tyre pressures are inside the glove box. Try looking there.

Twang.

Thanks, it was there.

3 weeks of ownership of my new Yaris Hybrid.

1155 miles later and I'm quite pleased with my figures this far.

post-145473-142174658688_thumb.jpg

post-145473-142174660179_thumb.jpg

The trip is showing consistently 2mpg above real world tankful to tankful sums.

In these current cold and dark conditions I think these figures are favourable.

Once it's all run in and the weather warms up these figures should improve a little more I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC