Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A 2006 T180. Good Or Bad Idea?

Jonnyo

I'm looking at doing a car swap with a friend for her 2006 T180 on 60k miles. It has never had a replacement engine and is obviously now out of warranty on the engine. Would buying this be a horrendous mistake if the head gasket failure is going to happen or is it not likely? Really don't want to buy this if a £3000 bill for a new engine is the only solution to a fault that is inevitable or is it just not that likely?

Is there anything you can do to prevent this happening or any easy way to spot early signs of failure?

Is there any other problems I should be looking for?

Knowing what I know now, and having had an engine swap on a 2006 t180......I would say NO.

There are plenty of T180's that have covered a high mileage without issue but there's also a significant number that have developed the oil burning etc problems. High oil consumption or discharge of coolant may be an early sign that problems are on the horizon. If the engine is going to fail - there's little you can do. The preventative measure is essentially the same as what you'd need to do if the engine failed! Buying a T180 really depends on whether you'd take a chance or would you be constantly worried that something was about to go wrong? Price paid would also be an important factor.

You can read about other issues on this forum. In particular - the run-flat tyres are a cost issue and exhaust centre sections are failing - around £1000 in round numbers until aftermarket systems become available.

Knowing what I know now, and having had an engine swap on a 2006 t180......I would say NO.

No to buying or swapping to one.

Check with Toyota if the enging been done ?. Maybe ?.

Hmm, so it sounds like a bad idea then? Shame really as swapping cars would have been ideal for us both otherwise :( so why can't the head gasket just be changed on this engine like on all others? Why does it necessitate a new 3/4 engine swap?

Hmm, so it sounds like a bad idea then? Shame really as swapping cars would have been ideal for us both otherwise :( so why can't the head gasket just be changed on this engine like on all others? Why does it necessitate a new 3/4 engine swap?

.........Coz it is not a cylinder head or gasket only problem, mate.

No new engine.......no do swap.....jog backwards.

.........Coz it is not a cylinder head or gasket only problem, mate.

No new engine.......no do swap.....jog backwards.

I think I will stay away from it :)

So, what is the actual problem then if its not head gasket failure?

Piston problem leads to excessive oil consumption which deposits carbon everywhere. The build up of carbon on the piston crown can result in head gasket failure.

Thanks. So is the piston issue a gradual thing or something that happens rapidly for some reason? So, do you see oil consumption going up over 10,000 miles or does it get more rapidly worse? In essence, I'm asking if a T180 isn't displaying any problems now after careful inspection would it be ok for a while or could it just go wrong very quickly?

Jonny min........I think you answered it in your earlier possibly original post..........it is a 3 grand Russian roulette......that if I recall is the engine price, and nobody yet has taught them to fit themselves.....

Then there have been more than two instances that I know of where replacement engines have gone kaput.......

A Scottish sum.......T180 /SR 180 priced at £8000.00.......no replacement engine.

Offer £4000.00........ You will be told to GTF........YOU JUST SAVED A LOT OF MONEY.......

Right, decision made then. I'll stay firmly away. Many thanks for the advice. Such a shame that such a good car is blighted by such a poor piece of engineering.

Right, decision made then. I'll stay firmly away. Many thanks for the advice. Such a shame that such a good car is blighted by such a poor piece of engineering.

True. But in fairness to Toyota, they took ownership of the problem and provided a seven-year goodwill warranty to cover any failures. A lot of manufactureres would have simply suggested that one's luck was not tender and left owners to sort it out themselves.

• Like 1

"One's luck was not tender......."

Jamesy......I apologise proficiently for the obvious detremental effect reading my peesh has had on you.

Doesn't help owners of 8 year old cars though does it? Whilst I appreciate a cut-off point must be made it must be a real sickener to those who bought a Toyota on the back of their reputation of reliability to be hit by a £3000 bill due to a design fault. Also, whilst we are at it, charging £1100 for a bit of exhaust system is frankly disgusting on a car of this nature.

Scalpel........wrists........goodbye cruel world.

In most people's VERY CONSIDERED OPINIONS, the negative side that you are LOCKED INTO was very much outweighed by the fact they did that GOOD WILL WARRANTY........go swap for a Vauxhall.......ah hear prayer beads are free with some models this month.

Probably best to leave it then..

As said its a real shame an otherwise great car is spoilt by a suspect engine.

BUT as gj said not all 180's are affected,I bought mine on 58k without doing my research,it's now on 66k,and touch wood runs perfectly on its original engine..I do have my £3k rainy day fund ready though just in case.

Just like us it's down to luck of the draw,with a dash of healthy life style thrown in.

now reading this has scared me!

i bought one for my wife last week with 85k on the clocks....surely if the engine was going to go it would have done so by now....wouldn't it?

its an '08 so i wonder if i should call toyota and ask them if its been done, i guess the time i have left on the 7 year warranty is months now, should it need it

apart from the issue i posted about ie. no power after 3k, it feels alot better after cleaning the EGR and i have a can of Bg244 ready to go in when she gets home, so hopefully thats it

still scared though now :/

I'm amazed people still believe in this 'goodwill' thing - its hardly goodwill when toyota sold an engine with a monumental fault on it. Rather they decided it was financially better to 'cover up' by patching them up and claiming to be a benevolent and caring manufacturer!

Toyota are the same as any car manafacturer, they don't give a toss about you - if you buy another car from them then great, if not then someone else will and so it continues.

If toyota did have any goodwill they would have fixed ALL of these engines, irrespective of mileage or age, as they effectively released a faulty part onto the market. If this dodgy engine had been released in the US I'm sure they would have reacted differently.

Toyota is still among the best, what about the lad who had start his own forum www.KnackeredNavara.com to try and get Nissan to own up to their engine problems

• Like 1

Many other manufacturers including BMW and VW have had serious engine build issues in the past,but to my knowledge none of them have ever admitted to there being a build fault,let alone offering a replacement FOC.

So fair play to Toyota,and imo 7 yrs warranty is quite a long warranty period.

• Like 2

Well said, Dave and Paul mins........if I was back in the market, and a T/SR180 came up at the right price, new engine or not, I would have one again as long as my circumstances were the same......i.e. I could afford to re~engine the thing.

They are bloody marvellous cars, but the replies have been given in all honesty to the O.P. who asked should he swap.......if you are not in a position to fix it, don't do it......seemples.

• Like 1

"One's luck was not tender......."

Jamesy......I apologise proficiently for the obvious detremental effect reading my peesh has had on you.

I realise I am not worthy but will keep practicing, Oh Wise One.

And your apology is, as always, most proficient.

I wouldn't be put off a T180 that has had an engine replaced correctly by Toyota. We have now put 50k on our new engine without a single issue.

I know there have been various failures even on engines that have been replaced but I have every confidence in ours & whoever buys it will get a sorted motor that's in top condition