Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remote Control Stopped Working

tpagr8

Hi, wonder if anyone can help please.

Was out today and had lights on and when I stopped turned lights off and opened door but the lights on warning sound came on even thought they weren't switched on. The sound stopped when I closed the door but now the remote control door lock doesn't work. The central locking works with the key in the lock but not by remote. I located the fuse for the wireless remote and when I took it out the lights on alarm stopped. Has anyone any ideas/ advice?

Thanks

Tim

Reset the system:

This is the way to do it:

1 Start: Driver's door open and unlocked. Key not inserted in the ignition.

2. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

3. Do the following with the driver's door: shut, open, shut, open, all within 40 secs.

4. Insert key in ignition and then remove it, without turning it.

5. Repeat step 3.

6. Close driver's door.

7. Insert key in ignition

8. Turn key from Lock to On and back to Lock with a 1 second interval. The number of times you do this will select the desired programming mode: Once for ADD key, twice for REWRITE all keys, 3 times for CONFIRMATION, 5 times for PROHIBITION.

9. Remove key from ignition.

10. As verification of mode selection (except in Confirmation mode), the electric door locks will lock and unlock a number of times corresponding to the mode chosen in step 8.

(If Confirmation mode is selected, the doors will lock/unlock a number of time corresponding to the number of remote controls programmed into the system.)

11. For ADD and REWRITE modes: within 25 seconds after the locks have confirmed the selected mode:

(a) Hold down the LOCK button on the new remote control whilst at the same time pressing UNLOCK 5 times.

( B) Release and press LOCK once.

© if the procedure has been performed correctly, the door locks will go from lock to unlock. If not, start from 1 again.

(d) To enter additional remotes, repeat from step (a).

12. Open driver's door to complete the procedure.

I've tried that several times and it doesn' seem to want to reset. I do all of the steps up to 9 but then it doesn't do the confiremation of mode step i.e. door lock unlock. Coudl it be something wrong with the remote receiver? It seems strange that the light on alarm is sounding when the doors are opened also.

If the "key in ignition" warning buzzer is sounding then the car thinks there's a key in the ignition and won't allow the remote locking to operate. According to the owners manual you're not supposed to be able to lock it with the key either but two of the four Avensis' I've owned have locked ok with key in and engine started, and the other two didn't.

Ah that makes sense now thanks Alan, it is the key in ignition alarm that is going off I think. Maybe something is sticking in the key barrel that is engaging the alarm. Any ideas how I can free it? Or maybe disable the alarm?

Can't really help you there but if it was mine I'd try a little wd40 down the keyhole, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if that knackered the immobiliser chip somehow and I ended up not being able to start the car at all. There were also some posts ages ago about disabling the "key in ignition" buzzer but IIRC it involved cutting or soldering a wire on the circuit board or something. Try searching for door open buzzer/key in ignition buzzer or something. It was the seatbelt chime I was trying to disable when I came across the posts so maybe even try searching that as a last resort.

thanks, I used wd40 a few weeks ago as the key was stiff going in, it's super easy now but its maybe gunked up the mechanism from what I've read elsewhere about wd40. Thanks for your help.