Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2010 Auris Hybrid Mpg Seems A Little Low

nickc909

Hi,

I've had a 2nd hand Auris Hybrid for 4 months now.

My regular weekly mileage is low, around 100 miles with individual journeys of 10-15 miles, and doesn't involve motorways.

I have also made 4 long motorway based journeys.

My regular weekly mpg is around 44mpg & for the longer journeys I managed to get 49mpg.

I use pulse and glide on flat sections and drive around 70 mph on the motorway.

Whilst > 40mpg is ok, I was expecting higher mpg from all journeys from a hybrid. Admittedly it is Winter so I have read that affects mpg by -10%.

Are these values typical for the types of journey I make?

Also could I expect better mpg from the latest Auris?

Many Thanks,

Nick

Looking at the Honest John Real mpg pages for the Auris HSD, owners average between 48-64 mpg. See http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-and-auris-hsd/18-vvt-i

Doubt whether the 2013 Auris would provide better mpg - probably be similar.

Have you looked at the Hybrid/Toyota Prius club re tips for adjusting driving style, etc.

• Like 1

Looking at the Honest John Real mpg pages for the Auris HSD, owners average between 48-64 mpg. See http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/auris-and-auris-hsd/18-vvt-i

Doubt whether the 2013 Auris would provide better mpg - probably be similar.

Have you looked at the Hybrid/Toyota Prius club re tips for adjusting driving style, etc.

ok, so I'm getting the lower end of the range but near enough. Not to

worry, still pretty good and my low mileage means that it's not a great

saving either way.

Cheers.

Have a look at the following http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/152164-best-way-to-drive-a-hybrid/?hl=%20driving%20%20hybrid

There is some discussion around the batteries, but also some info, if you have a wander through, on adjusting braking, etc.

• Like 1

Have a look at the following http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/152164-best-way-to-drive-a-hybrid/?hl=%20driving%20%20hybrid

There is some discussion around the batteries, but also some info, if you have a wander through, on adjusting braking, etc.

Thanks, yes I have naturally found myself driving using these techniques utilising the current mpg info on the dash.

Real life MPG can only be reliably calculated by doing a "brim to brim" calculation. The dash mpg is usually 10% optimistic, so your "regular" mpg figure of 44mpg is more likely only 40mpg.

I manage a real life mpg average around 35mpg for my 2014 Auris 1.6 petrol CVT, but would have thought that the Hybrid could/should do better than your 40mpg.

Strangely enough, my car's 'real-life' MPG is actually better than the trip computer suggests - by about 1.5 or 2 MPG :ermm:

That does sound low.

Similar to yourself, I've had my 2011 Auris Hybrid around 3 months and do 100 commuting miles per week. Yet I'm getting over 60 mpg on average. My commute is slow, stop/start driving and the hybrid thrives in it as so much of the crawling along is on Battery power.

On longer, faster routes I've had 70mpg at best.

It is worth reading guides to driving techniques for hybrids and hyper-miling.

I haven't changed my driving style too radically but 3 things that do seem to help are:

1. Using cruise control whenever possible

2. Smooth acceleration is important but not too slow. It seems to me better on town roads to get to 30mph swiftly then ease back so that the electric motor cuts in quickly.

3. Monitor the instruments - to be aware of when the electric motor is active and that you are getting plenty of charge into the Battery. For example, if you watch the power meter you get more charge from braking than decelerating without braking.

I doubt that driving technique makes that big a difference but if you try all the 'tricks' and still get the same mpg then you need to take it to your dealer to investigate as the hybrids do better than you are getting.

Good luck,

Peter

first thing to check is tyre pressure, this can quickly kill mpg on cars

alex

Real life MPG can only be reliably calculated by doing a "brim to brim" calculation. The dash mpg is usually 10% optimistic, so your "regular" mpg figure of 44mpg is more likely only 40mpg.

I manage a real life mpg average around 35mpg for my 2014 Auris 1.6 petrol CVT, but would have thought that the Hybrid could/should do better than your 40mpg.

Yes that's how I got the 44mpg and 49mpg using volume of fuel vs actual mileage (well as accurate as the milometer is anyway!).

I use the instant consumption mpg to monitor driving style and ignore the end of trip mpg readouts (I've never had less than high 50s mpg from it but never got a real mpg +50).

first thing to check is tyre pressure, this can quickly kill mpg on cars

alex

Thanks, will check on Friday when I fill 'er up.

That does sound low.

Similar to yourself, I've had my 2011 Auris Hybrid around 3 months and do 100 commuting miles per week. Yet I'm getting over 60 mpg on average. My commute is slow, stop/start driving and the hybrid thrives in it as so much of the crawling along is on battery power.

On longer, faster routes I've had 70mpg at best.

It is worth reading guides to driving techniques for hybrids and hyper-miling.

I haven't changed my driving style too radically but 3 things that do seem to help are:

1. Using cruise control whenever possible

2. Smooth acceleration is important but not too slow. It seems to me better on town roads to get to 30mph swiftly then ease back so that the electric motor cuts in quickly.

3. Monitor the instruments - to be aware of when the electric motor is active and that you are getting plenty of charge into the battery. For example, if you watch the power meter you get more charge from braking than decelerating without braking.

I doubt that driving technique makes that big a difference but if you try all the 'tricks' and still get the same mpg then you need to take it to your dealer to investigate as the hybrids do better than you are getting.

Good luck,

Peter

Thanks. Yeah I already do those styles as much as I can. My commute is a little different to yours so maybe not comparable.

It's a company lease and the T&Cs state that I can't complain about mpg so not much I can do about it from a dealership pov.

Not to worry 44mpg is ok just a little disappointing based on the Hybrid hype.

44 mpg does sound low, my lowest on a tankful has been 46.5 in cold weather but overall in the last 9 months I have averaged 53mpg which I can live with, especially as a lot of the mileage I do is short journeys.

The best advice is to check the tyre pressures but I wouldn't advise over-inflating them.

Not sure about cruise control helping, have seen other people criticise it but in my own experience if you encounter an uphill stretch the cruise will make the car work harder to maintain the speed whereas your foot might let the speed drop a little.

Really, the better place to ask for advice is the hybrid forum although quite a few of us monitor more than one forum.

Peter

Hi,

I've had a 2nd hand Auris Hybrid for 4 months now.

My regular weekly mileage is low, around 100 miles with individual journeys of 10-15 miles, and doesn't involve motorways.

I have also made 4 long motorway based journeys.

My regular weekly mpg is around 44mpg & for the longer journeys I managed to get 49mpg.

I use pulse and glide on flat sections and drive around 70 mph on the motorway.

Whilst > 40mpg is ok, I was expecting higher mpg from all journeys from a hybrid. Admittedly it is Winter so I have read that affects mpg by -10%.

Are these values typical for the types of journey I make?

Also could I expect better mpg from the latest Auris?

Many Thanks,

Nick

I would suggest, as others have, is check your tyre pressure.

Also you need to ensure you have the correct oil, thicker oil will effect MPG.

see: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148360-engine-oil/

Warmer weather helps a lot as well.

I have a new shape Auris hybrid and I'm averaging 57 MPG, but a lot of my mileage is on motorways and fast A roads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links