Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Fuel Filter Serious Trouble

mokhali

Hi guys

I need some help with my avensis 2002 d4d t22. I tried changing the fuel filter a few days ago but in the process of doing so i broke the bottom cap that has a sensor, it didnt completely break but sort of broke while still attached to the filter. I put it back hoping that it would be ok but no no no, as i started purging the pump there was stream of diesel. Now unable to locate a salvage part localy in leeds and bford i ended up puting some bonding putty on it which temporarily fixed i purged the filter but not fully and the car started. Still looking for the part i been using the car. It was giving me some grief starting in the morning and i would have to pump the fuel filter a bit to get it going as i think its been loosing pressure from the glued up bit. Yesterday however i started the car in the morning it started fine put then stalled and as i started it again theres loads of smoke and no power whts so ever, its not even reving, i switch it of and on again and its fine. I ve seen there is a leak where the bonding glue was. I wana know tht is the smoke because of that damaged filter cap sensor and a leak or that the whole thing has caused some major damage to the fuel delivery system.

The bottom filter cap is not availabale at any parts shops as they say its a mains dealer part and my best bet would be a salvaged part, i found the whole fuel filter housing with the cap on eBay and have ordered it but i dnt know if the the damaged sensor has caused some serious problem.

Any advise would be very helpful. Thanks

HI Mo,

I think all should be ok when you fit the new part, air in the system and low fuel pressure can throw up strange faults, lets just keep positive and report back when the new part is fitted, hopefully with a good result mate. :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

I'm surprised you could not source the part in leeds/bradford. This is the area I would look if I was struggling for a part, There is a Toyota taxi around every corner and your shape avensis was a taxi favourite so should be plenty of parts about, may be worth asking a taxi driver with local knowledge, did you not try motorhog? or you can try putting in eBay 'breaking avensis' then sort by nearest first, this will give you numbers and addresses of people breaking them near you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links