Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Snow Socks

Tequilla Head

Please forgive me if anyone has already asked this question...

I have decided to buy some AutoSocks for my Rav 4, but not sure if I need to buy two sets or if I can get away with just a set for the front?

The recommendation for snow chains on a 4x4 is to fit them on the four wheels so I guess the same would be true for sox. There are some issues of legality on public roads when fitted since there is effectively no tread exposed. Driving on tarmac or gritted areas will destroy the sox very quickly. I think you might be underestimating the capability of your Rav in adverse conditions.

Do you have bald tyres? Doubt you would need anything if tyres are in good condition...........

Floats might be a good idea if we get what's forecast tomorrow though.

Snow Socks.......available in all good shops, as long as they are also registered stockists of teapots and fireguards.............which must be manufactured from chocolate.

As gjn has euphamistically alluded..........as soon as ye hit roads with nae snow........you get a ladder in yer stockings.

Technical term......they are pish........

Edit.......that 2004 permanent 4WD Rav of yours will go up the side of a house in an ice storm......trust it implicitly, or get cold weather tyres......another massive improvement.

• Like 1

I would recommend you get proper winter tyres really, it means you can use them even when there is no snow or ice but still cold. Bit of a pay out in the beginning but if you only use them for six months of the year they can last you much longer.

• Like 1

I would recommend you get proper winter tyres really, it means you can use them even when there is no snow or ice but still cold. Bit of a pay out in the beginning but if you only use them for six months of the year they can last you much longer.

............at the same time just aboot doubling the life span of yer normal tyres.......well said Oor Isa........lol.

• Like 1

I have the same year RAV and can vouch for it being superb in the snow, it is fitted with Bridgestone Dueler tyres. The only thing that stopped it last year was a four foot deep drift and I got 20 yards into it before it beat me.

I thought I would be leaving the RAV in the drift when it stopped, but no problem it just reversed straight back out of it.

Save your money, you don't need socks in Sussex.

Phil

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. :)

I guess I probably am underestimating what the RAV is capable of :(. It's my first winter of owning a four by four, and I remember only too well what a nightmare my old Ford Focus was like when we had snow... I have two new Hankook HP RA33 tyres on the front now, and two budget tyres that were put on for the MOT before I bought it in April last year (unfortunately I couldn't justify the cost of replacing all four with winter tyres), and the two new tyres have already made a big difference to the road handling :).

I have to say that so far I have been very impressed with the RAV and am soooo glad I bought it!

"Floats might be a good idea if we get what's forecast tomorrow though". So true!

Thanks again... :)

Thanks everyone. :)

I guess I probably am underestimating what the RAV is capable of :(. It's my first winter of owning a four by four, and I remember only too well what a nightmare my old Ford Focus was like when we had snow... I have two new Hankook HP RA33 tyres on the front now, and two budget tyres that were put on for the MOT before I bought it in April last year (unfortunately I couldn't justify the cost of replacing all four with winter tyres), and the two new tyres have already made a big difference to the road handling :).

I have to say that so far I have been very impressed with the RAV and am soooo glad I bought it!

"Floats might be a good idea if we get what's forecast tomorrow though". So true!

Thanks again... :)

I would second BK's & Phil's comments having owned 5 RAVs including 4 of the one like yours. They are extremely competent in adverse conditions.

Check your tyre pressures regularly, make sure that your lights, wipers, washers are all OK and when conditions deteriorate, or you get anxious about the conditions, just take everything nice and steady and let the car look after you - I promise you it will.

• Like 1

I've used snow socks on a Vectra and they were superb. Without them I would have been stuck at the end of a lane (after an overnight snowfall!) Popped them on and cruised over the snow as if it wasn't there. I then had to take them off again as the main road wasn't too bad.

So they do work, but I've never had the chance to test the rav in the snow yet so not sure whether it would even need them!

Nobody said they DON'T WORK, of a fashion.......but ye hit the pish nail right on the head........as soon as you get to a road you know does not have enough snow to stop yer stockings laddering........you have to stop and remove them.

Then you get to a side road with deep snow again, and you have to stop and........you'll get ma "drift".......?

In Scotlandshire, that is a 2 day journey to work with the inconsistencies of council gritting policies.

On a front wheel drive Vectra, sticky tape might be a godsend in the snow.......on a perma 4 wheel drive Rav, snow socks are for keeping the tyres warm at night.......

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links