Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Filter Box On 1.0 Engine

dean_TTE

I was just giving my mate a jump start the other day when i noticed that the airbox on my 1.0 type-m sits slightly differently on the right hand side to the left. Being the inquisitive type I decided to take it off and see if it wasn't fitted on correctly.

Having played with it for a while I came to the conclusion that it's just meant to be like that. On the left hand side it fits perfectly flush with the intake box but on the right it seems slightly tensioned and if you look closely down the right hand side of the airbox you can see some of the air filter exposed.

Is everyone elses like this or is something not quite right here?

Cheers

Deano

it is a right bugger to make it fit right sometimes, try flipping the filter round as its pretty easy to put it in wrong and not know - ie if its been removed to be cleaned etc.

but it should sit down flush all the way round

Nah it's never been removed mate. Cars only done 14,000 miles. The only thing I'm worried about is if it IS wrong it might have done damage to the engine.

I'm sure it's not the filter itself. It's like the prongs on the air intake box arn't aligning properly with the holes in the bit which clips on the front (the bit which the filter is in). If that makes sense.

I guess my best bet is to pop into the garage at some point and ask if they'd take a look at it for me.

What you recon?

Cheers

Deano

yeah the prongs dont align when the filters on the ****

did you take it to toyota when it was serviced at 10k? if so it would have been removed and cleaned and possibly put back in wrong!

its a piece of wee to sort mate, just pop the box open and fiddle around with the filter in different positions until it pops back on properly.

i think the raised 'prong' sections of the foam airfilter point inwards to the airbox??

I've just gone and had a jigle about with it now outside. I can't get it to fit any differently but there's no trouble getting the clips to close so I'm hoping it's on right. Just the face that I can see a little of the filter exposed down the right worries me :S

Ok, just had mine on and off again!

Double checked, no filter visible.

U wanna take the front off, give us a product number and ill check with mine. The bottom drops in place, bit of a wiggle, then clamp the top...................

Good luck....again

Yeah, same method of getting it on with mine. Just went had yet another go :P. It seems to be that that's the best fit I can get. It's just that if you look down the right lip of the filter box. Like where the outside goes over the inside you can see the filter inside so I'm thinking maybe it isn't sealing properly. How dirty is your air filter too? Mine's pretty dirty tbh. Haven't had anything to compare it to either cos this is my first car :(

Deano

It sounds like ur clamping the filter. As long as the side of the filter is clamped front and bk, no problem. Still strange tho.

When u remove the front, the filter should seat properly within this front bit........ does it?

Otherwise, ive run out.

And no, my cardboard filter is clean, prbably because it can filter s :censor: t!

It's definatly seated properly within the front bit. Cardboard filter? Mines like a hardened cotton (white) stuff? I'm pretty sure it's not the filter it seems more like the box itself cos there's a lot more pressure on the right than the left. It's like the joints where the box fits together at the top arn't working properly. The bit on the top right where the prong goes into the front box doesn't sit flush like it does on the left.

Thanks for your help Chappers and jaxx. I'll try and get it to the garage by Monday and let u know what they have to say :P

Deano

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links