Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used Avensis - Any Models To Steer Clear Of?

Snowathlete

I currently drive a 2006 hyundai Santa Fe but its too expensive to run. Fuel mainly, about 19MPG. I only drive 4-8k miles a year but it adds up.

Thinking of buying an Avensis 2003- and spending around 3-4k. Need an estate. Want leather and a good spec. Under 80k miles. Must be an automatic!

Are there any known issues with auto gearboxes or any of the engines or other common or expensive faults on any of the models?

Thanks

Joel

T spirit comes standard with leather interior,you may get another spec with leather if the owners have had it put it in.

T spirit is only available in the 2.0 vvti petrol version/2.0 d4d/2.2 d4d. not seen a 1.8 t-spirit yet.

this will help.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/toyota/avensis/tourer-2003/

VVTI's can burn oil, have a search on the forum, if your going for a 03-05 make sure its had the modified short block fitted.

or go for one after mid 2005,

click on the link below and pay attention to devons post (very informative)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/138146-what-causes-high-oil-use-on-18vvti/

oil burning aside its a good car/engine.

I cannot comment on the auto gearbox, not had one or know anyone with one.

VVTI's can burn oil, have a search on the forum, if your going for a 03-05 make sure its had the modified short block fitted.

I thought it was only the 1.8 vvti which had the oil problem?

• Like 1

We have a `99 Avensis 1.8 Automatic. It is racking up the miles and we have no issues with the autobox. Previous to this , my other half ran a Celica auto for 11 years with again no gearbox problems.

And believe you me, if it was breakable, she would find how to!

Read the RAV forum on here. There have been issues with RAV autos, but it would seem to be an ECU problem.

I thought it was only the 1.8 vvti which had the oil problem?

this is off honestjohn.

Early 1.8 and 2.0 litre VVT-i engines can start to use up to a litre of oil every 600 miles after 40,000 miles due to a bore liner problem and/or being fitted with slightly undersize pistons. By February 2009 Toyota had extended the warranty on these engines to 6 years or 100,000 miles. Cars built from July 2005 should not have this problem.

• Like 1