Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Stable

Soeley

Just for fun really.

Thought I'd just post some pictures of the stable that my iQ lives in. I gave it a makeover last summer. It started out as a concrete sectional garage, years ago I insulated and clad the outside with weatherboard. That was looking very tired and drab.

WP_000609_zpse83d84f3.jpg

WP_000611_zpsddb7c216.jpg

Off came the rotten cladding, was sorry to disturb the field mice :(

WP_000613_zps911c04e6.jpg

WP_000614_zps256ac4f7.jpg

On went the new insulation and breathable waterproof membrane.

WP_000620_zps8671d5d6.jpg

Then for the new cladding I decided to use machined half-round 4 inch fence rails.

WP_000661_zpscddcffaf.jpg

In went a false window with mirror tint just to break it up, it also has a light behind it for the dark summer nights.

WP_000716_zps46836865.jpg

iQ now sleeps peacefully at night :)

• Like 4

Nice job. That really looks beautiful. Your iQ is pleased to live in such a nice place. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Mark

What a great makeover!!

And of course looking at the front of the car, it's always smiling

David

• Like 2

Neigh! - what a transformation. Do you shut the doors after the IQ has bolted?

• Like 3

Nice one soeley,

It looks so good. What did you use for insulation this time? I hope you served a proper eviction notice to the mice. :D

I wish I had somewhere to stable my IQ. The poor thing is just parked on the road outsde. I bought a cover for my old Smart, but got in to hassle with the gestapo parking warden as he could no longer see my tax disc. I cut a hole on the windscreen bit and glued a clear piece of plastic over it, 3 nights later someone had nicked the whole cover! I won't bother again.

• Like 1

Vox, I just used some more Rockwool type lost insulation. It is damp and fire proof plus the mice seem to like it :) I was going to do it the year before but realised the mice were breading so left them in peace. You could see the burrows they had made in the insulation. One part was there food store, where they had pinched loads of seed from the bird feeder, another section was there toilet :disgust:

• Like 1

I have field mice under my old shed that's falling to bits, I must get it taken down, but like you I really hate disturbing the mice that live under it.

I dare say they will find somewhere else to go, so long as it's not in my house again.Then it's war!

Nice little beaties, but boy, can they do some damage in your house. Congrats on a super refurb job again, I really like the half round fence posts, it looks like a real log cabin.

I'm sure your IQ loves it. :)

• Like 1

Can you believe the fence rails worked out cheaper the using weatherboard again, plus it is tannalised, so should last about 20 years. It will also get an annual coat of Creocote.

• Like 1

I can believe it Mark,

My fence feather boards, posts and arris rails cost a ridiculus amount of money, I bet it's all the machining that goes in to making them. Weatherboarding is the same, loads of shaping = expensive!

Do you still have some real creaosote? you can't buy it now, bad for the environment it's said? creasosole and ceraoseal are very poor substitutes, but there isn't much else left now. I suppose the new stuff won't gas and poison the mice. :oops:

• Like 1

Proper Creosote can still be obtained by industry, I believe they still use it for telegraph poles. Creocote is the less harmful alternative, like Creoseal. It still smells nice though :) It has still got to be much better than the water based treatments that seem to wash off in heavy rain. The one I used is a light brown, in my last picture it had had two coats.

• Like 1

Nice one soeley,

It looks so good. What did you use for insulation this time? I hope you served a proper eviction notice to the mice. :D

I wish I had somewhere to stable my IQ. The poor thing is just parked on the road outsde. I bought a cover for my old Smart, but got in to hassle with the gestapo parking warden as he could no longer see my tax disc. I cut a hole on the windscreen bit and glued a clear piece of plastic over it, 3 nights later someone had nicked the whole cover! I won't bother again.

I had a good cover I used for winter on really cold nights, came out one morning to find the thing had been nicked. I wish I could find a nearby garage to use but no one rents them out.

I have the same problem here, if I could find a lockup garage close enough for me to walk to, the going rent is around £70 PW. People pay this! Must be mad, or loaded?

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a place where you could not bother to lock your doors and nothing ever got stolen. Mmm, not even in my dreams. :no:

I have the same problem here, if I could find a lockup garage close enough for me to walk to, the going rent is around £70 PW. People pay this! Must be mad, or loaded?

Wouldn't it be nice to live in a place where you could not bother to lock your doors and nothing ever got stolen. Mmm, not even in my dreams. :no:

Only place I don't need to lock my car is at work because the car park is controlled by security men who are very enthusiastic at guarding the entrance and you can't walk in without your pass. Of course there is the odd chance that someone on the inside with a pass could nick something but its very unlikely seeing that there are cameras about and security men do walks through the car park.

Last year I'd forgotten to lock my yaris and someone actually nicked everything out of it - boot box with riding stuff in it inc walking boots and riding hat and the dog guard. Even the coppers couldn't believe that the dog guard was nicked.

I suppose you have probably already thought of this, but do any neighbors have a garage that they don't use? If not on your street but around the corner?

Believe me I've looked around and there aren't many garages due to not many houses that have them.

• 1 year later...

If you remember the field mice I had earlier on in this thread, well I don't think they came back, but something bigger an smellier did.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/SOELEY/Garden/Ferret%20Cam/th_VIDO0012_zpsxqiq98a8.mp4

I bought a Wildlife Cam to capture some footage :)

OK, I give up. What the hell are those things. They look like ferrits? Wild ones?

Yes as far as I can tell they are Ferrets/Polecats. Seem to be the same thing, Ferrets are the domesticated and Polecats are wild?

Wild smelly beasties in your IQ stable! What are you going to do? trap them and find a more suitable home, or let them keep your ride warm (and smelly) during the winter?

We have lots of rats and mice here, but not much else wild, apart from the odd crazy neighbour. :eek:

Well, they are actually living in the cavity, I've not really seen much evidence of them inside the garage, just around the side door area where they have to run through to get out. As long as they are causing no damage I am happy to let them stay and put up with the smell.

I have one of those awful 70's sectional garages and love what you've done with the boarding, including the original. I really thought i was going to have to knock it down and rebuild, but now I have other ideas. I love the insulation too, though wonder if I could get away without it?

From 70's peddledash hell to black boarded Suffolk barn effect.

You don't need to put the insulation in, but for what loft insulation cost (from B&Q as well), plus it was on offer 3 for the price of 2. I thought I might as well. New roof going on later this year