Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Pathetic Horn/hooter

Truthseeker

Has anyone changed the horn on their Auris for a more powerful one. Mine is next to useless - just a single weak pathetic tone. I have been used to a much louder one on my previous cars.. Even the almost as useless one on our Aygo is better than the Auris.

And no I don't want one of those double red trumpet "Dukes of Hazzard" ones thank you, just an OE louder one if possible.

When my paint job is done the horn is on my "to do " list,its a pathetic excuse for a horn.

A guy cut me up on the approach to a roundabout last week,I gave him a blast,I was embarrassed !!! I could shout louder than that !!

I don't know how hard it is to retrofit a horn on the Auris,on my last car the front bumper had to come off to gain access.

I think I will go for triple air horns,that should wake the dead :-)not the Dukes of Hazzard just one "blast".

I didn't like from begining, my Auris hooter, so I decided to change it a couple of years ago.

In order to get the old one out, I removed the bumper ( this procedure is described somewhere here, in Auris forum ) took old horn out and installed a pair of bitonal horns like these:

zc76.jpg

I made an adapter cable (one male and two female connectors) in order to not cut original wiring, put bumper back and thats all; I'm very happy with new horns.

• Like 1

These are just the sort I am looking for Tavey, but at my age can't be doing with messing about with a front bumper removal, especially on a brand new car. However, the problem must be solved, so may just have to pay someone to do it.

Like Ken, I had to "Beep" someone yesterday and blimey was I embarrassed. So much so that I had to look away sheepishly.

On a £7k Aygo it may be OK to have a week sounding hooter, but on a £20k Auris not so.

I wonder what Toyota fit on their Lexus range?

I personally think it is dangerous, as in a real emergency, I doubt if the other party (a jay walker?) would hear it, especially if like some people these days, they have a pair of earphones wedged in their ears.

Arghhhhhh!!!

Why not to buy Toyota premium horns?

BTW is there some limit how loud the horn can be when passing the MOT?

Toyota%20Premium%20Horn.JPG

Those I like and official Toyota ones at that.

These will do though if no official Toyota ones available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PIAA-Dual-Tone-Performance-Sports-E-Marked/dp/B0049B60J6/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391366947&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=dual+car+horns+500hz

Anyone know where the horn is located on the latest Auris?

Those Toyota Premium horns look very similar to my E-Tech horns from Amazon FYI:

E-Tech Dual Tone High Performance Motor Sport Horn

Found the horn - easy access just in front of the radiator. Plenty of access through the top with nothing to remove, so ordering a replacement horn today (see below). Choose this one as 107 decibels, and has the same connector as the Auris (single spade), so no wiring issues (hopefully). Will report on the results when fitted.

Shop SearchVW Audi Seat Skoda Mercedes Smart Replacement 12v Car Horn Fiamm Low Note (387)
  • fiamm927387.jpg
  • 927387conn.jpg
  • 927387dims.jpg
fiamm927387.jpg
Item Description

Fiamm 12v Low Note Horn

Excellent quality made in Italy by Fiamm, the world's largest manufacturer of car horns

Replacement horn to fit Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Mercedes Benz and Smart/MCC

Features steel housing with plastic trumpet

Please check the connector type in the picture below to ensure it matches your original horn connector

Supplied with 2 connector's that simply click into place

Also includes mounting bracket and fixings

Single low note air horn

Simple plug and play connection, will match up to your existing connector

No need to re-wire or install any relays etc..

In a lot of cases your original equipment horn could be made by Fiamm so this will be a direct quality replacement.

Please note may not fit all models of the car makes listed, please check the connector types below to match with your existing horn

Connector Type:

927387conn.jpg

Features:

927387dims.jpg

• Like 2

Please post back when you know the end result!

• Like 1

I want one that will shatter concrete :-)

I dont do polite beeps !!!!

Oops I have been watching too much Top Gear,I'm beginning to sound like JC.

• Like 2

I'm beginning to sound like JC.

Nothing wrong with that.

I hope the 107Db will be enough - will let you know Ken.

Have you stood outside and had someone else toot at you? I thought it was quiet too but it was just that the car is much better isolated from the outside than my previous rustbox.

Still, can never have a too-loud horn. The one in my father in law's '99 Corolla is IMMENSE, if I ever find one at a scrapyard I'll totally fit it into the Auris. :D

Possibly that "geniune Toyota" (hmmm...) one above might be similar.

I agree that it may sound quieter sitting inside the car, but our last new car was much much louder.

Got the new horn but just need to make an earth wire up to complete the wiring. It is a literally a 2 minute job to remove old horn and fit the new one one on the new Auris (apart form having to get the correct earth lead which was not supplied).

Will post pictures of before and after later.

All fitted and working and a 200% improvement than the standard horn. So glad I fitted a new one - no more embarrassing "hoots".

• 2 years later...
On 01/02/2014 at 8:48 AM, Truthseeker said:

These are just the sort I am looking for Tavey, but at my age can't be doing with messing about with a front bumper removal, especially on a brand new car. However, the problem must be solved, so may just have to pay someone to do it.

Like Ken, I had to "Beep" someone yesterday and blimey was I embarrassed. So much so that I had to look away sheepishly.

On a £7k Aygo it may be OK to have a week sounding hooter, but on a £20k Auris not so.

I wonder what Toyota fit on their Lexus range?

I personally think it is dangerous, as in a real emergency, I doubt if the other party (a jay walker?) would hear it, especially if like some people these days, they have a pair of earphones wedged in their ears.

Arghhhhhh!!!

the decent horns must be kept for lexus as i haven't had the need to change one

and i'm on my 2nd lexus now

the Auris horn has to go ,over the weekend i will be having a look at it.

• 4 months later...

Yes the one in my Auris hybrid tourer is very weak horns realy do seem to be hit and miss in there intensity I've had both ends of the spectrum In over 25 years of driving, having said that though it's my first Toyota with a feeble horn

• 5 months later...

I think it is a Japanese trait. Prior to my two Auris's I had a Honda Prelude, the 2.2 200bhp vtec monster and it also had a wimp of a horn. It was really pathetic for a car of that type.

Slightly off topic, but My Toyota Avensis T27 Tourer has the same twin horn sound as my old Mk1 Avensis T22. I am very pleased too, because this would have been a step backwards. Twice with Vauxhalls I previously owned in the past, I had to replace the horns and used Opel Manta horns. The sound was great. 

• 3 years later...

Hi there

can we replace Auris 2016 hybrid Normal Horn to snail twin Horn ? Thanks