Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T25 Or T27

calamara

Hello everybody,

If someone can link me to a thread this, please do, I'm considering changing from a 07 2.od4dt2 to the same spec T27 saloon, 59ish reg, I prefer the T2 because it has everything I need.

Would appreciate anyone's experience/comparison on the newer model.

I have had absolute zero trouble with my t25, but keep looking at a t27, I would love to hear from others who have changed to the later model. Thanks.

Can't help you out but I will very interested and await comments on the subject. The only thing I would add is to buy a late 2010 which I believe has the 5 yr warranty and also no problems with the AD engine head gasket issue.

Pete.

• Like 1

You don't say whether you are looking for a petrol of diesel model. If you are doing high mileage then only the 2 litre D4d makes any fuel saving sense over the 1.8 litre petrol. The petrol engine has been pretty much trouble free so far and urgently is a little cheaper than the diesel. In theory at least it should also be cheaper to maintain long term. For real world fuel figures look at this site http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009

As t-spiritpete says from June 2010 they also came with a 5 year Toyota warranty which is worthwhile and can be extended if it is an approved used car from a Toyota dealer.

Sorry I can't compare the T27 to a T25 as this is my first ever Toyota. Have had for almost two years now and am very pleased with it.

the one real downside to the T27 is the electronic handbrake. The button is in an inconvenient place & it's expensive to fix if it goes wrong (& it seems to much more than a conventional one).

I changed from a 2004 Avensis T4 1.8 Manual to a 2010 Avensis 1.8 CVT auto a year ago. Had the 2004 car for about 5 years with no trouble. I am very pleased with the 2010 car, Bigger More comfortable , Fuel consumption on the old car was about 41MPG the new one is around 38 Mpg ,as expected as it is an auto. So far no trouble with the new car , very glad I made the change, the new car seems in a different class .Good luck

I've had two T25 1.8 vvti's (a manual T2 and an auto T3s), and two T27's (a 2009 [pre-facelift] 2.0 diesel TR and my current [post-facelift] 2012 1.8 valvematic auto TR). The T27 is miles better to drive and generally looks and feels newer. Yes ok the handbrake is in a silly place but it's a small price to pay.

The T2 is the "entry spec" and has most things you need (like air con, remote locking etc), but none of the things you want (like alloys, climate control, cruise, front fogs, leather steering wheel). The most common spec seems to be TR which has reasonable kit.

My 2.0 diesel had a fair balance of power and economy and I'd have kept it but i missed having an auto. The only diesel auto available is the 2.2 which has a fair amount of reported problems. The 1.8 valvematic has bags more poke than either of my vvti's did.

To compare fuel economy, my 1.8 vvti manual could return over 50mpg but it's fairer to say mid to high 40's. The vvti auto could do 40mpg but fairer to say 34. The T27 2.0 diesel could do 55mpg but fairer to say high 40's. The valvematic auto can do high 40's but it's fairer to say around 40.

There's probably nothing wrong with the one you've got, and it'll probably run great for years to come. But if you're looking at the new shape ones then at least go and have a test drive in one and see the difference for yourself. I'd go for one after the 5 yr warranty came in tho.

Hope this helps .

Thanks to everybody, it does seem the 1.8 valvematic has good reviews everywhere you research, and honest john recommends that engine, so maybe that is the way to go for me, with T2 or TR spec/saloon, cheers.

I've got the 2014 Avensis 1.8vvti cvt. I had only 450 km on the clock but so far I can assure you that there is a slight rattle noise from the front brakes on pavement and uneven roads when driving with let say 40-50 km/h. That noise is very common for every post 2012 Avensis as far as I know. There are no other unusual noises from the car at all and i find the build quality excellent.

I've had two T25 1.8 vvti's (a manual T2 and an auto T3s), and two T27's (a 2009 [pre-facelift] 2.0 diesel TR and my current [post-facelift] 2012 1.8 valvematic auto TR). The T27 is miles better to drive and generally looks and feels newer. Yes ok the handbrake is in a silly place but it's a small price to pay.

The T2 is the "entry spec" and has most things you need (like air con, remote locking etc), but none of the things you want (like alloys, climate control, cruise, front fogs, leather steering wheel). The most common spec seems to be TR which has reasonable kit.

My 2.0 diesel had a fair balance of power and economy and I'd have kept it but i missed having an auto. The only diesel auto available is the 2.2 which has a fair amount of reported problems. The 1.8 valvematic has bags more poke than either of my vvti's did.

To compare fuel economy, my 1.8 vvti manual could return over 50mpg but it's fairer to say mid to high 40's. The vvti auto could do 40mpg but fairer to say 34. The T27 2.0 diesel could do 55mpg but fairer to say high 40's. The valvematic auto can do high 40's but it's fairer to say around 40.

There's probably nothing wrong with the one you've got, and it'll probably run great for years to come. But if you're looking at the new sh

I've got the 2014 Avensis 1.8vvti cvt. I had only 450 km on the clock but so far I can assure you that there is a slight rattle noise from the front brakes on pavement and uneven roads when driving with let say 40-50 km/h. That noise is very common for every post 2012 Avensis as far as I know. There are no other unusual noises from the car at all and i find the build quality excellent.

Hi Airfan, I thought the 1.8vvti was the older engine on the t25? and it was the 1.8 valvematic across all variants on the T27?

There's probably nothing wrong with the one you've got, and it'll probably run great for years to come. But if you're looking at the new sh

Hi Airfan, I thought the 1.8vvti was the older engine on the t25? and it was the 1.8 valvematic across all variants on the T27?

You are right - it is valvematic

Hello again all,

Can I ask about the 5 year warranty from..."LATE" 2010, could someone be more specific please, the reason I ask is I have come across a 2010 1.8valvematic that is quite tempting me, BUT, it was registered in March 2010. cheers.

Can I ask about the 5 year warranty from..."LATE" 2010, could someone be more specific please, the reason I ask is I have come across a 2010 1.8valvematic that is quite tempting me, BUT, it was registered in March 2010. cheers.

I believe the 5 yr warranty was introduced in June 2010. Depending on where you're buying from you could either ask them, or maybe a friendly call to a Toyota dealer would confirm. I believe all the ones with the long warranty came with a "5 year warranty" sticker on the back window, but obviously any previous owner could've taken it off. Also bear in mind that Toyota might demand a full Toyota history for any extended warranty claim, so double check the history and that all servicing was done on time just to be sure. On the flip side of the coin having the long warranty maybe means you'll also be tied to Toyota expensive servicing until the warranty runs out.

If you really like the car and the price is right, would it be possible to buy an extended warranty? Just a thought.

I believe the 5 yr warranty was introduced in June 2010. Depending on where you're buying from you could either ask them, or maybe a friendly call to a Toyota dealer would confirm. I believe all the ones with the long warranty came with a "5 year warranty" sticker on the back window, but obviously any previous owner could've taken it off. Also bear in mind that Toyota might demand a full Toyota history for any extended warranty claim, so double check the history and that all servicing was done on time just to be sure. On the flip side of the coin having the long warranty maybe means you'll also be tied to Toyota expensive servicing until the warranty runs out.

If you really like the car and the price is right, would it be possible to buy an extended warranty? Just a thought.

Thanks, yes, that's the part I don't like...paying for expensive basic servicing to validate the warranty,you can't have it both ways i know, but for the last 4 years iv'e done my own servicing, egr valve etc etc, appreciate your help.

"On the flip side of the coin having the long warranty maybe means you'll also be tied to Toyota expensive servicing until the warranty runs out."

Toyota can not tie you to their servicing under the original manufacturer's warranty (due to EU block exemption) as long as the manufacturer's schedule & parts quality are maintained.

They can & do make it a condition of their extended warranty.

Toyota dealer servicing is dearer than some independents but not necessarily by much & is cheaper than many other makes.

I would say that it is not so expensive. Oil and oil filter change for my Toyota is 100 euro and it has to be done every 16 000 km or 1 year (whichever comes first). Every second year or every 32 000 km they have change some more stuff like air/cabin filter and I guess they have to check some other parts and that costs like 180 euro. It is not that expensive... Per example Audi A4 2.0TDI Multritronic has annual service cost for the same stuff 190 euro.

These are the prices here in Bulgaria.

Obviously servicing your own car is going to be cheaper than using a garage however if you want a good warranty you will have to pay for it and have it serviced according to the warranty 'terms and conditions no matter who supplies it. Toyotas fixed price servicing is, in my opinion, comparable and often cheaper than some other manufacturers of similarly priced cars. Check out the fixed prices on their website: http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing

& some (but not all) Mr T's will let you supply your own parts & oil. e.g. on a £159 fixed price service for my car that includes 6l of 5W30 C2 oil at £11/l+VAT or ~£80. With judicious purchasing I can supply equivalent spec. branded oil for under £40 so that's a main dealer service for under £120.

I am finding over here that the main dealers are pricing the same as independents, and when you factor in the heavy discounting on replacement parts (brakes etc..) over the service schedule it actually worked out cheaper in the long run.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links