Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Judder When Braking

paulybrad

Hi, I have an Avensis d4d 08 plate. I have just had the wheel bearing replaced which cured a rotational noise when driving. After this was repair the car was fine, but after 1 week (500 miles) later I now have a judder when braking, it's like the ABS is on all the time when braking. The ABS fault light does not come on. Any ideas?

Usually vibration while braking means warped discs. However it could also be a bit of grit/debris in behind the disc if it was off.

• Like 1

Continuous vibration through the brake pedal and steering when braking is usually caused by a warped disc, or in the case of ventilated discs corrosion of the veins separating the two surfaces. It could also be caused by one of the pistons in the calipers being siezed. If the work was carried out by a garage then I would take it back and suggest that something they have done isn't correct.

Is it worse when you brake going downhill?

If it is, chances are your discs are warped.

Mine were like that. At first the vibration was only in the brake pedal. Then the steering wheel. In the end I could feel it in the seat so had front discs and pads changed. £100 job altogether. Well worth it.

Since you have recently changed the discs, pads and the bearings, then I go for the pistons and calipers. They may be sticking

I have changed all the said components and get it from time to time. When the weather is warmer I will do a more thorough check and clean of the brakes.

You will have to get a garage to do the clean for you, if you can't do it yourself.

i would say a warped or incorrectley fitted disc but only a dial gauge against the disc will tell you what the disc is doing.

It may be the discs aren't mounted 100% flat and straight, and are wobbling from side to side ("runout") rather than being warped.

My EBC discs came with a flyer and a warning that said if I experienced any juddering, EBC wouldn't consider an RMA unless I'd gotten the discs checked and/or corrected by a 'Pro-cut lathe'..

Mine had a bit of light judder under light braking, but they seem to have worn in as I don't get it any more.

• Like 1