Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Clutch Making Horrid Noise When Changing Gear!

IJD

Hi all

Basically when the clutch is engaged to change gear a rattling noise comes from the engine like something has come loose internally!

Aygo is a Platinum .......

Petrol

2008 plate

Done 38K

Serviced 5 times (first 3 from Toyota and last 2 from a trusted mechanic)

Any ideas chaps?

Have to say last year had to have my gearbox repaired on my Avensis at only 58K and this issue with the Aygo is now the icing on the cake as in over 30 years of driving my 2 Toyotas are turning out to be the most unreliable cars I've ever had !!

How does the clutch behave, do you have trouble engaging gears ?

Excessive clutch noise Throwout bearing noises are more audible at the lower end of pedal travel.

The usual causes are:

•Riding the clutch

•Too little pedal free-play

•Lack of bearing lubrication

A bad clutch shaft pilot bearing will make a high pitched squeal when the clutch is disengaged and the transmission is in gear or within the first 2" of pedal travel. The bearing must be replaced.

Noise from the clutch linkage is a clicking or snapping that can be heard or felt as the pedal is moved completely up or down. This usually requires lubrication.

Transmitted engine noises are amplified by the clutch housing and heard in the passenger compartment.

They are usually the result of insufficient pedal free-play and can be changed by manipulating the clutch pedal.

• Like 1

Clutch is not slipping and there is no trouble changing gears. The car will still drive

Its a noise that tells me something serious has popped. I really hope there is no issue with the flywheel!

However I can relate to your comment on the clutch shaft pilot bearing has on the odd occasion a high pitch sound (Almost as if made by a songbird) occurs when pulling off .

I suppose this bearing has probably now collapsed!

Yep .Exactly the same springs or straps failed.

Quite a common failure around 30K so at what point does a manufacturer take accountability?

Suppose the point at which any manufacturer takes accountability is by offering a warranty period on the goods in question - whether it is a car, a part or a washing machine.

I had a similar problem with my 2008 around the same milage. So had to upgrade to a 190mm

check out this video

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links