Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Key Entry

Duffryn

Does anyone know if the smart key entry system can be permanently disabled?

Last evening I walked past my car in the drive, lights flash on it and it unlocks itself (all keys in my house well away from it). Walked past the car again, and it relocks itself, without being touched in any way. Wife also thinks she saw, from inside the house, the lights flash on it on a separate occasion.

I never lock it via the smart key cos I don't trust it, always use the key fob button, but I do unlock it using the smart entry system.

Am I doing something wrong here, is it faulty, or is it merely being a pain in the posterior?

It shouldn't lock or unlock if you don't touch it. When you walk past it should just switch on the interior lights for a few seconds.

However, was it raining by any chance? If so, as you walk past the car senses the key and is ready for your hand to touch the handle, but I've noticed that if it's raining hard, the rain dribbling down the door can activate the locking/unlocking.

I always use my remote to double lock the car if I'm leaving it overnight; press lock on the remote twice quickly and it clunk lock. Then I open the car in the usual way with just my hand.

This sort of thing happens on my Auris if I wash the car with the key in my pocket. So now, before I go out with the bucket, the key stays in the house.

Haven't noticed this in the rain and we have had more than enough of that !

Duffryn, have you been abducted by aliens recently ? :alien:

Maybe they implanted your smartkey chip into your neck :yes:

I think the wifey was having a bit of fun and pressed the unlock button as you walked past the car ;)

Grumpy Cabbie - no, it wasn't raining at the time

Peter Sale - Same here, unlock car and hide keys well away from it prior to washing it

Kithmo - thinking about it - wifey could be responsible for all 3 of your suggestions. :yes:

But, seriously, anyone know if the smart entry idea can be disabled, by a dealer perhaps? I rate the smart entry system, along with the auto wipers and auto lights, as being an expensive non-necessity. Make more sense to have self dipping rear view mirror and self folding door mirrors IMHO.

The only place the owner can easily alter vehicle settings are as follows:

1 Press the “SETUP” button.
2 Touch “Vehicle”.
3 Touch the desired items to be set.
z For a list of the settings that can be
changed, see “Owner’s Manual”.
4 After changing the settings, touch
“OK”.
z A message indicating that the settings are
being saved will appear. Do not perform
any other operations while this message is
displayed.
The above is from the Touch and go manual, page 192
For anything else I think you will need talk to the dealer.
PS Found this on internet, might work:
TOYOTA SMART KEY DISABLE/ENABLE
(Disable/Enable Smart Key Antennas)

Precondition:?Power switch OFF, driver side door closed and unlocked.
Unlock the doors once with the UNLOCK button on the smart key.
OPEN the driver side door within 5 seconds.
Unlock the doors twice with the UNLOCK button on the smart key within 5 seconds.
CLOSE and OPEN the driver side door twice within 30 seconds,
Unlock the doors twice with the UNLOCK button on the smart key within 5 seconds.
CLOSE and OPEN the driver side door once within 30 seconds.
CLOSE the driver side door within 5 seconds.
When the smart key is disabled, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds TWICE.
Once this is done, you will have to use the unlock button on the remote to unlock the doors (the driver side door will not automatically unlock when you grab the handle).
NOTE:
To start the car, you need to hold the smart key right in front of the POWER switch since the antenna system has been shut down.
To re-enable the smart key, perform the procedure again. When the smart key is re-enabled, the wireless door lock buzzer sounds ONCE.
  • Like 2

I use the smart key all the time and never had any problems. I find it very useful.

Cheers for that RIPP, will give that a good coat of looking at - when time and weather permit!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links