Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wipers - Size And Type

oldie68

Yaris 2010 1.33

During a service / MOT in Sept 2013, the front wipers were changed (which I was expecting).

I didn't need to use them till the end of December, and even in very heavy rain the driver side had a loud squeal at the top of the sweep.

Following research, I've tried cleaning the screen by using a glass cleaner and a microfibre cloth. I've done this 3 or 4 times now, but, it's still squealing.

Some sites recommend bending the blade back slightly, but I'm not in favour of this - I'd probably overdo it.

Looking at various websites for wipers, the lengths, even when inputting my reg. no., vary from 24-26" for driver side, and 12-15" for passenger. Are all these acceptable? Or would a combination like 26/15 cause problems?

What are opinions of these wipers :

Valeo Flat R60 / 24 and R35 / 14

Halfords S07 / 24 and W11 / 13

Bosch Super Plus 24/13

Bosch Super plus 24/15

Heynes Hybrid (no idea what this means).

Thanks for any replies.

I always fit Bosch never had any trouble. Do not get them from Halfords though! Motor Factor, much cheaper. Try cleaning the edge of the blade with methylated spirit. RainX on the windscreen is very good I find.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Was the wiper fitted by a Toyota dealer? If so take it back and get a new one fitted it should'nt squeak

I use Bosch Aerotwin wipers on mine, they are the flat blade ones:

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/toyota-yaris-years-2005-to-2010/bosch-aerotwin-ar24u-and-bosch-aerotwin-ar15u-twin-pack-wiper-blades/

24" drivers side and 15" passenger side for me. Very quiet and seem to clear the screen much better than the standard ones.

If you can stomach the cost, get a set of PIAA silicone wipers; You'll never look back :thumbsup:

http://www.tdcautomotive.com/Wiper-Blades_B23E2M.aspx

The full sets are VERY expensive so I'd recommend only getting the silicone refills. They're still ~£10 :eek: but you won't have to change them for ages (Unless you do something daft like use the wipers while they're frozen to the screen :lol:) so it isn't as bad as it looks.

I really love mine; Never ever squeak, even when clearing light drizzle (Traditionally that would squeal like hell and smear a horrible opaque mess on the screen forcing me to use the washer jets to clear it), and when you'ved used them for a bit you get a nice rain-repellent layer that acts like RainX :D (Also makes scraping ice off the windscreen a damned lot easier!)

(Disclaimer: I don't normally post links, but I had a lot of trouble finding a place that only sold the refills and this was the only place I found!)

Thanks for the replies.

Geoff Peace - is "Motor Factors" a firms' name, or a generic term. I think I'm out of meths, but I've heard vinegar works as wee. I'll try that - when the rain stops.

Devon Aygo - my dealer's 20 miles away. I usually enjoy a trip down, out of rush hour - dual carriageway and a country road - but I can't spare the time for a week or two.

chrispr - two or three places on Amazon have Bosch Super Plus 24/13 for under £16 a pair. I'm happy to try them. The only thing is, all the descriptions, after the Yaris spec, have the letters "QF" followed by 4 or 5 digits. Is this significant?

I also came across threads on these while searching the forum; some people are unhappy with them. And as for the refills - I'm afraid I gave up

Cyker - I'm very happy with the wipers apart from the squeal, so I don't want to go for an expensive pair at the moment. As for refills - I gave up on trying to fit those years ago. However, thanks for taking the trouble to look for them.

Just an update. I left for a few days away on Saturday morning. Before leaving, I gave the windscreen a good wash with glass cleaner. I also, following tips I've seen, wiped the wipers with vinegar (no meths, I'm afraid).

Not long after setting off, it started to pour. I switch the wipers on, and - no squeak. As the rain eased off, just before it stopped, there was a little juddering from the blades, just for a couple of seconds.

I've no idea which of the two cleans did the trick, but I'll know what to try first if it happens again.

many thanks for the replies though; I appreciate them.

Just to add. If you google motor factors and where you live then you will be able to choose. They supply the trade with parts but sell to the public as well. Do you have a Euro Car Parts in your area for example? Much cheaper than going to a dealer. Hope this helps.

Regards Geoff Peace.