Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Tr 09 Towbar

weeleyboy

Fitting the towbar seems quite straightforward but when it comes to the electrics is there any provision for connecting a standard 7 pin plug to a plug on the wiring loom or does it involve splicing into the wiring? I gather there is also a relay involved in wiring the lights in. Any information much appreciated

Derek

I mistakenly put this question under the general area before seeing the Avensis Club. I want to fit a swan neck detachable towbar to my Avensis estate. Fitting the atcual tow bar seems pretty straightforward but the electrics less so. Is there a prewired plug in the car to connect standard 7 pin electrics to or does one have to break in to the loom. Some also say a relay is required.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Hi & welcome,

I don't know the answer to your problem but Toyota have lots of instruction manuals for accessory installation available to download.

Simply select your vehicle (2008/11 FMC Gen 3), Installation Manual & in your case towing hitch wiring.

Moved to the Avensis club

On this model a relay system has to be used. some of the rear lights are LED and you will damage the circuit if connecting bulbs straight onto them, you can buy model specific wiring kits which make the job simpler.

Get a qualified auto electrician to do the job it will save you anguish in the long run.

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply to my question. It's become very clear that this operation is way above my pay scale and will be handed over to a qualified auto electrician to do. :fireman2: