Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What To Keep An Eye On

MinkeeDJ

Hi all :D

Well I picked up my 51 (2002) plate 2.0 VVti NRG 2 door Rav 4 with 87k miles on the clock, and what an experience going from a 2012 plate Fiesta to this bag of old nails lol

Engine Management Light came on and it turns out to be the exhaust emission sensor, took it back to garage I got it from and they sorted it, but it's on again so will need it to go back n get sorted properly.

The clutch is heavy as hell, feels like I'm bench pressing 30kg (or so I imagine what that would be like seeing as I haven't tried it lolol)

Changing gear with the recently recon'd gearbox is crunchier than a box of cornflakes, so god knows how long that's going to last. Just wondering if that's normal for a car this old ;)

Will need to change the wipers as some stage, the back one isn't even touching the window I don't think lolololol.

Thankfully someone saw sense to put a decent head unit in it so at least I can [plug my usb stick into it and get some decent tunes :D

The headlights are yellow and there is condensation inside them both :o The lights work so I'm thankful for that haha.

Anyway, is there anything I should be looking out for with the fun packed beast?

And finally, do you experienced RAV owners have any links to reliable, reasonably price parts suppliers taaaaaaaaa

Jan ;D

If you have any suspicions about the clutch or gearbox - reject the car or be prepared to possibly face a large bill further down the line. All the other stuff is no big deal - sensor failure is an issue and it's not unknown for a second sensor to fail quickly after replacing the first. Aftermarket parts are plentiful - check out eBay or companies like Europarts. This model has very few issues though fuel consumption isn't wonderful.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have 3 months warranty on all engine parts and I'm not concerned about the clutch or gearbox. They are both working fine, I'm not used to running old cars and I've not had a car this ancient for what seems like centuries lol.

I was just wondering if a stiff clutch pedal and crunchy gear change is normal for a car of this age with this mileage. And if they do have to be replaced well that's not an issue either. I may not even keep the car very long but if I do and the expensive bill rocks up, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it ;)

As for the sensor, I guess I will have to get used to ignoring the engine management light until the car gives up completely ... I have breakdown cover lol

The clutch and gearbox on this version aren't usually an area of concern and your description of the clutch doesn't reflect the usual clutch action. 5th gear failures have been experienced which is perhaps the reason for reconditioning the gearbox. If we do get snow this winter - your Rav will knock your previous Fiesta into a cocked hat.

lol I live in Plymouth, we don't get snow, but as Plymouth is hilly ice is more of an issue, altho I'm not sure how the Rav will deal with icy roads, but I managed ok in my Mini Cooper S when I had it.

I've had a D-4D Rav 4 in the past and loved it, but this lil 2 door is a bundle of fun .... and yes a gas guzzler, I put £30 quid in yesterday, got half a tank and only have a quarter left lolool. I have done an awful lot of miles in it tho .... easily a good 60 miles :o I'm considering taking the back seats out as I run an ironing and laundry business and have a removable pole positioned between the 2 back grab handles. Will make life easier to get ironing in and out thro the back door :)

It'll keep going with the engine light on , mine did for around 18 months , I only changed all the sensors when it failed the mot on emmisions.i had mine 10 years and did 138k miles in it, utterly reliable motor, never broke down.they do have a small Battery so running short distances with all the electrics on will kill it.but they're a great car

Thanks for that info, it is a wicked lil car, I guess I've just been used to driving around in new or almost new cars for the last few years lol