Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1St Gen Hsd Mould On Seatbelts - Common Problem?

distributed41

Hello there,

I'm looking to buy a first generation Auris hybrid. I've looked at three cars at two different dealerships over the past few days and noticed that all three of them had mould on both the front and rear seatbelts. Does anyone know whether this is a common issue with this particular model?

Also, any thoughts what's causing the issue? Could it be from the car standing at the forecourt for a few weeks or does it indicate a more difficult to eradicate problem with water leaking in? Just to say that there were some signs of condensation inside the car visible near the back window seals.

On two cars I checked more thoroughly there were leaves and soil in the spare wheel well, which struck me as strange. No obvious signs of moisture there, though.

Your topic appears to be the first one highlighting an issue with mould on seatbelts, so I would say it is not a common problem.

The condensation could have been due to standing on the forecourt, and with the ventilation system not operating for however long, there would have been nothing to clear the condensation. Suppose this could also produce mould if the cars had not been run for weeks - especially with the wet weather of late.

Presumably the only reason for leaves/soil being in the spare wheel well is if the spare had been used, and then placed back in the well dirty.

Your topic appears to be the first one highlighting an issue with mould on seatbelts, so I would say it is not a common problem.

The condensation could have been due to standing on the forecourt, and with the ventilation system not operating for however long, there would have been nothing to clear the condensation. Suppose this could also produce mould if the cars had not been run for weeks - especially with the wet weather of late.

Presumably the only reason for leaves/soil being in the spare wheel well is if the spare had been used, and then placed back in the well dirty.

Hi Frostyballs, thanks for your reply.

Good to know mould on seatbelts is not a common issue affecting the Auris. I'm still a bit bothered by it, though. I had a quick look at the other cars on the forecourt, esp. the Avensis, and did not notice any signs of condensation.

Re. leaves and soil on the spare wheel well, in both cases the spare did not seem to have been used at all, in fact it was completely clean.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links