Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Amount Of Coolant In System

janagyjr

I'm looking at cleaning off my temperature gauge sensor in the next week or so and was wondering how much coolant will I have to capture in a container? I'm not real certain how much coolant is actually in the engine and the Chilton's manual says I should drain the coolant from the engine before messing with this particular sensor. It seems like I should only have to drain as much as would bring the level down below where the sensor is but again, not really sure how much I'm looking at.

While the Chilton's manual says to run 50/50 coolant/water mix, would there be any harm (aside to the wallet) from running undiluted antifreeze/coolant?

In case you miss the sig: 1989 Toyota 4x4 Pickup, 5-spd manual, 22R-E engine, I believe it's all stock AND I live across the pond in the USA.

The mix of 50/50 antifreeze to water actually raise the boiling point of your coolant so best to stick with Toyota recommendations. Water on it's own will boil at 100 degrees C, but a mix of 50/50 dependant on cooling system pressure will boil at somewhere between 105 and 110 degrees C.

Forgot to add, you can get hot spots in the water jacket of a cylinder head, usually near the exhaust valves. These hot spots can cause cavitation of the coolant - an area where the coolant boils and produces air in the system. You don't want this - head gaskets/ water leaks. Stick to 50/50. Hope this helps.

Alright, I'll stick to the 50/50 but in the cold weather we're having right now I'm not too concerned about overheating, especially since I just replaced the water pump not too long ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my coolant changed with new head, does seem to run slightly cooler. Better to be safe than sorry with these things I've heard. I'm not sure, but I think a complete water change is supposed to be every five years any way.

I just had my coolant changed with new head, does seem to run slightly cooler. Better to be safe than sorry with these things I've heard. I'm not sure, but I think a complete water change is supposed to be every five years any way.

This will be the third time in two months. Last month/earlier this month I had my timing chain kit changed out (twice, first time was because chain jumped time, second time mechanic caused one of the sprockets to shatter) and each time they just drained and put new in iirc.

Anyway, I've collected the coolant in a bucket and have it sitting away from where animals can get to it.

Good job, saves a few quid. Just came down dual carriage way at 70 checking out the new cylinder head. Everything went dead. Battery terminal had come off. Garage hadn't tightened it enough ! . Running again now, panic over ..

I bet your heart missed a few beats guzzler. Hope all is okay - happy motoring.

I think new battery's have smaller head connectors than originals so when clamps done up fully still doesn't bite hard. Ended up wrapping terminal once in off cut of lead then putting connections back on. Won't come off now !! . I tell you what with every thing dead, these surfs are hard to stop at 70 ! Haha

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links