Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Things On My Mind.......

rambler

Now, my beloved Rav4 isn't getting any younger, as I mentioned on another thread its covered 128'000 miles.

The interior is almost like new still, the other seats just don't get used,the engine bay is reasonably clean.

The body is completely dent free, and in very good condition, people compliment me on it....which is nice.

The only real thing that lets it down is the condition of the rear drive stuff,diff mount, caseing , exhaust union joint , some suspension parts, are all farely rusty.

I did rub & brush the suspension set up , mounts with a wire brush about a year ago and coat with waxoyl, I did what I could.

Now, I could keep the Rav like Chatman , and keep it going for a few more years,replace bits that ware out or rust and break eventually.

Or I cut my losses before it costs more & more & more,and get something else, newer.

Trouble is, apart from the ( scuse swearing ) Suzuki Grand Vitara 3 dr blue, there is nothing else out there that I like or can afford.

I also like the Mitsi Shogun 3dr, or LC but to be honest, but are too expensive to run.

Hmmmmmmm, what to do.

I could pay for those rear drive bits to be replaced, as the engine has never used any oil , or water.

I had the same dilema last year, looked at everything , then up popped a 32k mile 55 plate 3 door xtr d4d,mana from heaven, safe for several more years,

they're out there , just need to be found

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

• Like 1

Jamie,Jamie,Jamie.

After reading your post a few times it would seem:

There are more good points ,engine, body and interior.

You say there are only small things wrong.

The suspension arms are made of quite sturdy metal and will take some rusting on them.

Suggest maybe getting some costings for things that you think are in danger of letting you down and there seem to be few of those.Are you confident with the garages you would use, if not get quotes,not estimates,from others.

What are the tyres like which could considered also

I get the feeling that you have a certain fondness for your motor and feel like you are somehow dropping down a peg with the other motor.

Trust your heart and gut on your next move.

My wheels are of a certain age but I am confident in my old gal and would be sad to lose her.

Know that this may not help but is the way I feel.

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide

Del

• Like 1

If the complete sphinctus of a dealer who has been fitting your car with cheap starter motors had done his job properly.........would we be having these conversations, Oor James.......? I think not.......

Edited by Red Yaris 54
Poor attempt to defeat the swear filter removed

Jamie,Jamie,Jamie.

After reading your post a few times it would seem:

There are more good points ,engine, body and interior.

You say there are only small things wrong.

The suspension arms are made of quite sturdy metal and will take some rusting on them.

Suggest maybe getting some costings for things that you think are in danger of letting you down and there seem to be few of those.Are you confident with the garages you would use, if not get quotes,not estimates,from others.

What are the tyres like which could considered also

I get the feeling that you have a certain fondness for your motor and feel like you are somehow dropping down a peg with the other motor.

Trust your heart and gut on your next move.

My wheels are of a certain age but I am confident in my old gal and would be sad to lose her.

Know that this may not help but is the way I feel.

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide

Del

If the complete sphinctus of a dealer who has been fitting your car with cheap starter motors had done his job properly.........would we be having these conversations, Oor James.......? I think not.......

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Thanks folks , as you say .....I know my car and what ive had done to it.

Buying another vehicle is buying someone else's problems , so will stick with my Rav and do what needs doing.

Its the best vehicle ive ever had and I never keep my vehicles more than 3 years.

So will get costings for the rusty bits and go from there.

Kev , yes the starter scenario is part of it , but ive been very aware of this rust for a couple of years now.

I just wanted to get through this winter with my 4wd , then possibly change .But im too fond of my Rav to let it go, I only wish I'd cleaned it down more thoroughly after green laning years ago to stop this rust.

I live & learn :-)

Don't worry about rust on suspension parts - these meaty components will have surface rust on any Rav a few years old after a few winters on salted roads - probably looks worse than it really is. It's a relatively cheap job to get the affected area steam cleaned and sprayed with Waxoyl which will minimise further corrosion. The internal cavities of the Rav are already wax injected so just doing the underside is just fine. It's a horrible job to do yourself and a local rustproofing company used to do it for me for around £120 using superior Dinitriol products.

Don't worry about rust on suspension parts - these meaty components will have surface rust on any Rav a few years old after a few winters on salted roads - probably looks worse than it really is. It's a relatively cheap job to get the affected area steam cleaned and sprayed with Waxoyl which will minimise further corrosion. The internal cavities of the Rav are already wax injected so just doing the underside is just fine. It's a horrible job to do yourself and a local rustproofing company used to do it for me for around £120 using superior Dinitriol products.

Jamie, I agree with gjn. You'd be amazed at the difference a bit of (professionally applied) Waxoyl will make to the appearance of the underside - and it won't be that expensive.

Jamie, I agree with gjn. You'd be amazed at the difference a bit of (professionally applied) Waxoyl will make to the appearance of the underside - and it won't be that expensive.
Cheers folks, May try & find one of these firms in my area.