Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption Horrendous

MinkeeDJ

I know the fuel consumption is bad on a 2.0 petrol rav 4 but in the 1 day I have been the owner of one of these bundles of fun I've calculated that I'm getting about 20 mpg. I was expecting 25 - 30 depending on my journey but 20 mpg is taking the proverbial. Is that what I should be preparing myself for on a regular basis or could the old wreck need a tune lol

all depends on how and what roads your driving on, if its all round town then thats about right, on a long rung should see late 20s early 30s. Would also check when plugs and filters were last changed

Alex

It came with a service so I hope that they would have been changed :s

Unless you know exactly what was done at the service - it may be prudent to change plugs and air filter. Your fuel consumption will also increase due to the duff Lambda sensor.

ahhh ok cool, i'll get it all looked at, one of my dear ole dad's friends is a mechanic and we always used him when we had ancient cars lol.

Wife has a 2002 nrg, had vehicle for 6 months done 1 journey of 100 miles round trip the rest is into town round trips of 6 miles used 5 days a week on these short trips getting 30ish mpg

Have 2000 vvti auto,26 mpg on long trips,drops to 22 on local short trips because auto box never warms up

quite variable by the looks of it, I better open a fuel only bank account and make sure there's loads of money in it lol

Hiya, my last car, hence my pic. and only 16,000 miles on the clock, would do 28mpg on a good long run and drop to 8mpg if i was just pottering around town. What i am saying is unless you do lots of say 60mph constant speeds the fuel it guzzles can drop right off. I now have a almost new diesel 2.2 Rav4 auto now, very low mileage and the best i have ever managed is 30mpg with 28mpg being about normal consisting of mostly short local runs so your 20mpg doesn't surprise me being a petrol.......maybe time to dig deep into that purse young lady! Keep the car serviced and that may be the best you'll get from it. Hope you enjoy your car!

Until last year we ran two 4.2 petrol autos, one a 5-dr & the other a 3-dr. The 5-dr averaged 25 mpg with a best of 32 & worst of 19. It was used mainly for local runs: school, shops, etc.

The 3-dr did a lot more long journeys/commuting and averaged 33 mpg with a best of 36 and a worst of 25.

The consumption on the petrol RAVs isn't brilliant but there is some compensation in the fact that you shouldn't have any build or reliability problems so you're very unlikely to suffer any unexpected repair costs.

guess i will have to get used to filling her up a lot lol

My 2.0L petrol consistently returns between 31 and 33 mpg. I use the car almost exclusively to work and

back again which comprises a couple of miles around town then about 10 miles uninterrupted country road.

Having said that, I do believe 5th gear and a light right foot are major players when it comes to getting decent

mileage from my RAV.

I have a 2003 Rav4 auto and I'm only getting round the 20mpg mark too,and thats just general running round ie shops,doctors etc :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links