Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diy Towbar And Electrics Fitting To T25 Avensis

sicleaver

Hi

I have got my eye on a Witter towbar so that I can ditch the roof bike carrier.

I am investigating DIY installation of the towbar and electrics on a 2003 t25 Avensis Saloon.

On the electric side can anyone advise if I need or should fit a CANBUS relay?

What I think I have figured so far is that it is possibly better to fit one, but not necessary and it is more tricky to fit as running a 12v feed from the fuse box or Battery is a pain.

While I have not fitted a towbar before, I am used to most other aspects of mechanics and maintenance. From what I have read so far and looking at the car it does not seem a hugely tricky job - remove bumper, lower exhaust, bolt on put bits back etc.

But any advice or warnings of gotchas regarding any aspect of the fitting of the bar or the electrics would be welcome so I can decide whether to do myself or not.

Many thanks

Simon

go to http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=2

In the search boxes put in Avensis, FMC Gen 2, Installation Manual & Towing Hitch or Towing Hitch wiring.

This will give you instructions on how to fit the Toyota oem parts but I would imagine that 3rd party installs very similarly..

I fitted a Witter towbar and dedicated wiring harness on my T25 six months ago ( £175 for both from Towequipe ). You do not need to remove bumper with the Witter and the wiring is all plugs apart from a live feed from the Battery which is the longest job but not too bad.

Steve.

Thanks folks,good news about the bumper. I managed to run a cable from the Battery through the firewall today without drama. So that is one headache handled. Ill have a go and post anything interesting.

Cheers

Simon

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links