Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

More Newbie Questions

ricardoduarte

Hi all,

Apologies before hand if this post has been asked too many times. I am looking to buy a 2008-2009 auris, most likely a 1.6vvt-i or 2.0 d-4d with around 50k miles, could anyone give me a hand on what to look for in these cars, where can I find common faults, engine specs, etc? I could not find these in the how-to-guides in the website.

- Is the auris a chain driven car, or a cam-belt one? If it uses a cam-belt when does it gets changed?

- I have seen on honest john several issues with vvti engines and oil consumption is this common on petrol and diesel auris?

- What is the average comsumption you guys get with motorway driving on 1.6vvti and 2.0d-4d?

- Is there any common reliability issues, such dodgy a/c, suspension issues, etc?

- What are the average costs for servicing, does anyone know a good garage in the warrigton (Merseyside) area.

Apologies for the numerous questions i never had a toyota car before, my previous car was an Honda, and I am really indecise in buying another honda civic or try something new.

Regards

Hello Ricardo - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The VVTi oil consumption issue, hasn't affected the Auris - and it isn't included within the Good & Bad of the Honest John review.

There is an issue with some of the AD series diesel engines relating to high oil consumption and head gasket failure - see: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

Servicing is every 12 months or 10,000 miles - whichever comes first - with major services occurring every 2 years/20,000 miles. Toyota offers a Fixed Price Servicing scheme - see attached:-

http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/cdnlive.toyotaretail.co.uk/ToyotaFixedPriceServicing.pdf

Some pre-facelift Auris (before Feb 2010) have suffered water leaks into the spare wheel well via some vents behind the rear bumper - later cars were fitted with modified vents.

If you could stretch to a model dating from April 2009, these would have the Toyota Optimal Drive enhancements (greater efficiency, six speed gearbox) - see

Toyota Auris revised for 2009 with new Toyota Optimal Drive powertrains. Introduction to range of new 1.6-litre Valvematic petrol engine with nine per cent better fuel economy, eight per cent lower CO2 emissions, but six per cent more power compared to previous 1.6 VVT-i unit. 1.4 and 2.0 D-4D and 2.2 D-CAT 180 engines revised for more torque, lower emissions and improved fuel efficiency. Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) added to 2.0 D-4D engine, bringing emissions in line with Euro 5 standards. New six-speed manual and MultiMode transmissions. Revised grade structure with four trim levels T2, TR, T Spirit and SR180.

Thanks for your reply,

I will try and stretch to the 2009 model if possible, do all 59 models have the new revised engines, is it possible that pre April 2009 models are still registered in after April 2009 (Quite a few manufactures usually do this, since i know little about toyota i wonder if they have the same practices)? How can i check for the revised prowertrains?

Edit: Are all the new revised models included with the optimal drive Badge?

Regards

The 1.6 petrol should be identifiable by having a six speed gearbox in place of the previous five speed.

The 1.6 petrol should be identifiable by having a six speed gearbox in place of the previous five speed.

Excellent that is more than sufficient to know the difference.

Do you guys have a common fault page for auris or something like that? Or is the auris that reliable that there is no need to for such thing?

Thanks

Welcome Ricardo - there are pages & pages about certain issues with the Auris, but mostly head gasket issues with the 2.2 diesel or people disliking the MMT gearbox. As for servicing, Toyota have a fixed price policy for minor, intermediate & majors. A full service history with Toyota would help if there are any issues with your purchase. :)

Ricardo,if your in the market for an Auris,mines will be getting traded in shortly,its a 09 plate 3 door 1.6vvti SR with 26,ooo miles.full Toyota service history.ive been offered just shy of £6000 in a trade in. problems I had and have bben sorted by Toyota free of charge are,leaking rear lights, rusty wheel bolts,goosed clutch release bearing at 16k miles,and the roof gutter trim peeling off at motorway speeds but as I said all replaced free of charge by Toyota.Even after the minor niggles I wouldn't hesitate in buying another but iam after a n Audi A1 s line.

Thanks i will private message you asking for more info.

Ricardo,if your in the market for an Auris,mines will be getting traded in shortly,its a 09 plate 3 door 1.6vvti SR with 26,ooo miles.full Toyota service history.ive been offered just shy of £6000 in a trade in. problems I had and have bben sorted by Toyota free of charge are,leaking rear lights, rusty wheel bolts,goosed clutch release bearing at 16k miles,and the roof gutter trim peeling off at motorway speeds but as I said all replaced free of charge by Toyota.Even after the minor niggles I wouldn't hesitate in buying another but iam after a n Audi A1 s line.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links