Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pipe From Top Of Radiator To Expansion Tank Leaking

Martron82

Hi all,

I have searched the forums and cant seem to find anything like this ( although there is a lot of coolant related topics)

Basically I have a 2000 Avensis 1.8. i had noticed that the collant level was dropping slightly. I didnt pass to much heed on it as I had only bought the car and thought i was looking at it when the engine was hot and then again when the engine was cold.

Anyway I have not monitiored it when the engine is cold and can see a noticable coolant drop. I checked the oil cap for gunk and the coolant is clear so i ruled out the primary symptoms of HG failure. On closer inspection I found that under the expansion tank was wet. so i got a tissue and dried the whole area. went out for drive. allowed the engine to cool and i found tha the side of the expansion tank was wet.

i have diagnosed that the hose seems to be loose on the connection to the tank as the spring clip does not seem to be holding it tight enough. I lashed 2 cable ties on it to help secure it but it still seems to be leaking.

has anyone have any similar situations and is there anyother way of attaching the hose to the tank ?

Anyone any idea where i could get a new hose pipe for it , as maybe a younger hose will grip it better?

Hi Martin, a trip to your local Toyota dealership for a new pipe and 2 new clips should cure the problem if it is the only problem...let us all know how you get on.

Regards Mike169

• Like 1

Hoses shouldn't be to expensive, maybe remove your coolant bottle and inspect for cracks. Have you alot of pressure bulding up in your coolant bottle or steam out the exhaust? This would be indicitive of a HG failure also (exhaust gasses passing into the coolant), There should be a smell of burnt petrol from the coolant bottle. A sniff test from a garage should pin it down (exhaust gas analyser put into the bottle while running, but not emersed in the liquid)