Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Measure Rear Speakers?

elmacijr

My Toyota Corolla 1998 sedan doesn't have any rear Speakers, so I was thinking of buying a pair.

How do I measure the size of the Speakers that will fit the holes in my trunk? I took tape measure with me and went measuring and the diameter of the hole was about 11cm (4,3") and there are two little holes that would keep the speaker in place, I measured them from the outer side to the outer side and it was 16,5cm (6,5"). Then I googled what Speakers would fit my car and everywhere they are saying 6,75". I can't seem to find out how to measure so that I would get a result of 6,75". What is the correct way of measuring, how do I know that the speakers I would buy fits the holes in my car? I'm not really into making the holes larger so I'd really like to know the real size before buying anything that could then turn out to be too large or too small.

Also, where have they hid the wires for the speakers? I'm sure they have pulled the wires ready for speaker installation as I just recently replaced a radio and they were there. But I couldn't see any of the wires anywhere close to the speaker holes now that I was measuring the holes. I can see some wires going at the side of the trunk but I believe most of them are just for the braking light and trunk light. Perhaps the speaker wires are going in the same bunch. Where are the ends of the wires?

I can provide images of my trunk if needed

Hi,

If the rear wires are there they are probably taped back out of the way on the main loom.

Not familiar with your model, but doesn't it have rear Speakers by the rear seat sides or rear doors if fitted ?

What are you wanting to achieve by fitting rear shelf Speakers ?

If you view the audio forum and similar corolla threads seems the value of rear Speakers is low compared to replacing the front stock ones, which I did with great results. ( got a pair with separate tweeters mouted in the wing mirror inside covers)

Seems there are few 11cm speakers around, though these 10cm ones would probably fit, with some new holes for the 4 mounting screws.

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/accessories.asp?subC0=556

Hi,

If the rear wires are there they are probably taped back out of the way on the main loom.

Not familiar with your model, but doesn't it have rear speakers by the rear seat sides or rear doors if fitted ?

What are you wanting to achieve by fitting rear shelf speakers ?

If you view the audio forum and similar corolla threads seems the value of rear speakers is low compared to replacing the front stock ones, which I did with great results. ( got a pair with separate tweeters mouted in the wing mirror inside covers)

Seems there are few 11cm speakers around, though these 10cm ones would probably fit, with some new holes for the 4 mounting screws.

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/accessories.asp?subC0=556

Thanks for the reply, gotta look for the wires more closely.

My model doesn't have any speaker places for rear doors, only front doors and rear shelf, which of only front door Speakers are in use at the moment.

I was kinda looking for an easy way with just putting the Speakers to rear shelf as everything is ready in there and if I replaced the front door Speakers I would have to open the door cover and stuff.

I have two options, to put 2-way or 3-way speakers to the rear shelf and go with that or then put two mini subwoofers to the rear shelf and in the future replace the front door speakers with better ones. Which one would you recommend?

I have two options, to put 2-way or 3-way speakers to the rear shelf and go with that or then put two mini subwoofers to the rear shelf and in the future replace the front door speakers with better ones. Which one would you recommend?

Hi,

Don't know what you mean by mini subwoofers, nothing lile that stocked in the car speaker places.

Assume you mean the little boom tubes for playing from your phone etc.

Would think a decent pair of 4" all round Speakers would give a better overall sound to the car.

Plenty to choose from at around £20 a pair

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category_m-speakers-and-subs_c-2711.htm

You can add a proper boom box in the boot later.

If no space then they say consider some 6x9s on the parcel shelf as the next best thing.

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/category.asp?m=&c=2738&brandfilter=&features=49&pageItem=12&v=

For better advice put a post in the toyota audio forum

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/19-audiovideoelectronics/