Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Revs Not Dropping Straight Away

asnelling

Hey all

Slight issue with my 1998 Manual Rav4. Basically when i put the clutch in the revs will take a second or 2 to drop to the idle, when it is in neutral i can rev the car and the revs drop instantly when i take my foot off the gas but when in gear if i press in the clutch it takes this second or 2, any ideas? many thanks :)

There have been many posts in the past regarding revs not dropping when changing gear, here is a good one. Scroll to the top and read the whole thread.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/110702-revs-hanging-when-changing-gear/?hl=%2Brevs+%2Bdrop#entry1003277

Is this what you are experiencing ?

If it is its a design feature of the car and not a fault.

• Like 1

There have been many posts in the past regarding revs not dropping when changing gear, here is a good one. Scroll to the top and read the whole thread.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/110702-revs-hanging-when-changing-gear/?hl=%2Brevs+%2Bdrop#entry1003277

Is this what you are experiencing ?

If it is its a design feature of the car and not a fault.

Yes mate that's pretty much it, i did think first that it was a clutch pedal switch but because i have only managed to find topics based on newer models i wondered it my car had this installed, hence my asking. But it would appear the 1998 model is designed to do this so thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Once you have driven the car for a while I found you adjust your technique and now I don't even notice it any more.

Once you have driven the car for a while I found you adjust your technique and now I don't even notice it any more.

to what technique do you use then? im unsure what you mean

Try adjusting the speed that you change gear, I think I slowed/relaxed my gear change.

Now I don't notice the hang and the gear change is smooth and relaxed.

Well as smooth as RAV gear changes can be, notchy 1st to second transitions are another known feature.

Don't suppose that there are many on here that have driven a non-sycro truck,they slowed down all gear changes and took some time before the stick moved quitely, and that was after going through the engine rev juggling and double declutching!!! As the saying went herd (and heard) all the gears into one corner of the box and then pick one

Del

Aha I think I'll give that a miss knowing my luck it'll be spitting metal out the exhaust! One last thing. Is it normal to hear a very faint whining sound when I open it up? As in when I go to overtake and take it into high revs it makes a small but noticeable whine, the higher the revs the louder the whine

Alex, do you find when you have the whine and lift your right foot that the noise stops at once or gradually reduces?

Del

I tested it this morning, it gradually reduces under the engine brakes or a gear change

When was the timing belt last changed (time / miles)? This model has a fixed tensioner and the belt tends to get more noisy with time - as it stretches slightly. The noise tends to be rev related.

As silly as it sounds i honestly don't know when it was changed last, the car has 110k miles on the clock, the previous owner only had it for a few months so he could not tell me when it was changed. Any way of testing the timing belt?

I get that whine when pushing it a bit but mine seems to come from the passenger seat!!!!!!

Time to get me coat methinks

Del

Same symptoms (revving & whine) on my 56 plate xt3 petrol. Had the car 12 months and been the same all the time.

I think it's transmission related. I did an ecu reset a few months ago and it went away for a day and then came back. I asked Toyota to fix and they said it was the clutch - £1000 repair er no thanks.

I can live with these as they are niggles but the revving when changing gears is a stupid design.

Brilliant car otherwise and can live with 31mpg as its Mrs car for town use.