Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Buy A Rav4

bianconero

Hey folks, as the title says I'm looking to buy a Rav4, hopefully around a 2009-2011 model.

All I know for certain is it's got be an Auto, unless it's a CVT anyway, but defo not a manual.

So I've got a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

Firstly, I prefer the idea of the CVT because the MPG figures seem way better than a standard Auto, are there any known issues with the CVT box I should be aware of? Was looking at the Nissan Cashcow but decided against after a test drive in one and looking online their CVTs don't seem too reliable.

Secondly, with 90% of my driving being in town i know I should go for petrol but...I've done some research and it seems the D4D diesel engine doesn't have a dpf, so would that be a viable idea for improved mpg in town without the hassle of clogging the dpf as found in the other diesel engines?

Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Lariano

CVT equipped Ravs are pretty rare so understandably, very little feedback. Elsewhere, despite the fact that it's been around since the 1950's, there are significant reliability issues with CVT - to me it's still in the same learning curve league as DMF and DPF. Because of it's characteristics - it's best suited to a petrol engine though Nissan have developed a CVT with a sort of torque converter specifically for a diesel.

Some diesel RAV s have DPFs - others don't - it depends on age and exact model so check any car you're interested in.

I'm not absolutely certain but I believe that a RAV4 diesel automatic will come with a torque converter box and a D-CAT engine - i.e. with a catalytic converter. Toyota go for the D-CAT engine in order to offset the increased emissions of the auto.

The diesel auto was only introduced from 2009 / 10 with the 4.3.5. Prior to that all diesels were manual ... I think ... ?

All 4.3 Ravs - diesel and petrol, have catalytic converters but some diesel Ravs also have a DPF (diesel particulate filter). The acronym D-CAT is a bit confusing in that it's nothing to do with catalytic converters - it stands for Clean Advanced Technology - the D-CAT has a DPF

• Like 1

I've test driven a petrol CVT 11-reg 4.3 having owned two 4.2 petrol autos and I honestly couldn't tell that it was a CVT rather than a traditional torque converter automatic. It drove very well - the only reason I didn't ultimately buy it was because I was in the market for a DCAT auto given that my mileage was going to be higher and with long commutes (plus the fact that it sold the day after I tried it - they may be rare but they don't hang around the used lot for long!). The petrol-engined RAV's are not brilliantly economical, esp with autos, although their reliability means that you will seldom need to put your hand in your pocket for anything other than routine servicing/consumables.

I would recommend that you try to get a test drive in one before you decide although, as gjn says, they are rather rare.

Thanks for your replies guys, i think I'll keep looking for a petrol, I don't do enough miles to warrant risking having problems with a diesel and its dpf.

I defo like improved mpg with the cvt as opposed to a 'normal' auto, plus it looks like cvt's also have the manual option which the Cashcow boxes don't have.

Will post back when I get one.