Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Recall

stompe

My Prius was due in this morning at 11:00 to have the reflash carried out. Got a call from the dealer yesterday, double checking I was still OK for 11:00 today. Took the day off work, but just had a call from the dealer, who now cant do it today after all. Only 2 guys trained, one on a training course and one just rang in sick. My experience with Toyota just goes from bad to worse, I am so angry, never again another Toyota!

That is so inconsiderate, how dare he go sick...

These things are sent to try us :rolleyes: We had a similar situation on Friday.....It's Murphy's law

From a legal point of view, only the technician with the proper training is able to perform this warranty update for you. Maybe they can collect it for you to save any more inconvenience?

I do understand that the tech carrying out needs to be qualified, but surely all techs should be qualified. How are all Priuses going to upgraded if so few techs are qualified, it will take years?

All techs are qualified, but the techs qualified to carry out warranty work are at a higher level, and not all techs in the dealership will be at this level. It sounds like your dealership has two at the required level. It is not a case they would not understand or know how to do it, but more a case of not licensed to do it. It is a franchise standard that if you are not licensed you cannot do warranty work

Perhaps they should make a gesture to compensate you for loss of a days' work.

Or maybe you should make a gesture back of your own......

Well my car finally had the upgrade on Thursday. It took
about 1 hr 30 mins so over the 45 minutes that it should take. Haven’t noticed
any driving differences, but haven’t driven much. I’ll find out Monday when I
go to Gatwick.

Book times can be a nonsense, I'm sure when the techs have done several the time take. Will drop but when you are doing the first ones it always takes longer. I don't think you will notice any difference at all

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted my local dealer a few days after this story broke and was told there's no fix yet and that I had to wait until being contacted by letter. Is this what others have been told or is my dealer talking cr*p?

I contacted my local dealer a few days after this story broke and was told there's no fix yet and that I had to wait until being contacted by letter. Is this what others have been told or is my dealer talking cr*p?

There is a fix, but they are correct in that you will have to wait until contacted by letter. This is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) in a recall so the service shops are not inundated with recall work.

In saying that, with the Gen II steering recall I hadn't received my letter after 4 months but was putting the car in for it's annual service anyway, so I asked them if they could do the steering recall at the same time and they said, "no problem."

My letter's arrived, but haven't booked car in yet.

I read on Priuschat that some owners are commenting that, after the recall remedial work's been completed, that they're noticing a detrimental effect to their car's performance, Assuming that it's the same recall they're commenting on, has anyone on here who's had this work done noticed any difference at all?

My letter arrived this week. The car is due a service in a couple of months so I guess they will do both at the same time.

Letter came this week but I had already booked the car in for it to be done with the service on 28th Feb. I have also requested a Hybrid check.

By a reduction in performance are we talking about MPG or acceleration or what?

looking to buy a toyota - seem to be a lot of recalls with toyoya? will check with the dealer

looking to buy a toyota - seem to be a lot of recalls with toyoya? will check with the dealer

All manufactures will have recalls, its just Toyota seem to get their name dragged up at every single opportunity. Think of it another way they are constantly testing items that have been on cars for a while. Air bag recalls on cars that are 10+ years old ect

Alex

Think since the accelerator pedal recall of 2009/10 Toyota are more proactive than others in using the recall system

This is my first recall in three years so not a frequent occurrence. It did mean that I couldn't use the car for a day (but I could have had a loan car) and my car was given a free wash.

Lots of manufacturers have trouble with with thier vehicles.

Some admit there is a problem and do a recall.

Some pretend there isn't a problem and end up on Watchdog.

Others hide them away. Toyota choose the safest route! Dorks in media just jump on it!

• 1 month later...

Booked in for service and recall work this Friday. Have a long trip this weekend so will be interesting to see what impact the recall has.

• 2 months later...

Booked in for service and recall work this Friday. Have a long trip this weekend so will be interesting to see what impact the recall has.

Had my recall done yesterday as part of my annual service. Only difference I've noticed so far is the car feels like you're driving in ECO mode where the gas pedal needs to be pushed harder to accelerate. Johalareewi - any other observations?

It is reported that the car is not as quick off the mark, esp in Power mode or when overtaking. Also it seems to use the engine more and the electric assistance less, when you floor it.

On the other hand, it is reported on the US forum that the range of the HV Battery has been extended from 40-60% to 40-65%. The car also seems to be better tuned for town use in that it ever so slightly stays in electric a wee bit more often.

Don't worry about it all though. I noticed a small difference for about a week after I got mine back, but now I've got used to it, it's just normal again.

I have owned 3 Toyota cars all very reliable; recalls are no problem all done free of charge. Recalls are rare but Toyota recalls always get a lot of publicity.

Did you view "Watchdog" last night (Wed 2nd July) and the problems with the Citroen suspension which the company refused to take responsibility for until "Watchdog" took up the case?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links