Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Shocks..?

poolplayer

Hi all........ The Mrs seems to think the rav is bouncing a bit at the rear since a week. I have been for a spin and do think it drives a bit different that when we had it in oct 2013 is it possible it will need new shocks at 19000 mls 61 plate. A few thoughts on here before I book it in

It's not impossible but it's very unlikely that shock absorbers would deteriorate significantly over this mileage / time. However any apparent change in safety critical systems should be investigated.

Tyre pressures? Slow puncture? Worth a look first or just pop into your local dealer to have a quick look

Kingo :thumbsup:

Paul, two simple checks

1 is there any signs of oil on the outside of the shocks ?

2 open the tailgate and push down hard on the cars floor,release and it should spring back once and then settle if all is OK

Del

Pop in to Mr T and get them inspected. Your car is still well under warranty. My car has just turned 3 years old and it went to Mr T for its first MOT. The rear shocks have a advisory on them as they have "slight misting" on the rubbers..so I will be getting them replaced under warranty pretty soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to replace all 4 shocks on mine at just over 3 years/55kmiles. Ride was noticeably harsh over bumps etc. got them off partsking for around £80 quid a shock I think. Misting quite bad on 3 of them . Replaced the 4th as I would never leave 1 old and fit 3 new.

Pop down to your local Dealer and get them to inspect them out, there is a TSB out on both front and rear shock of the Rav4

Alex

What do you mean by TSB, is that a recall thing ?

I have went onto the Toyota UK recall website where you enter your reg or vin number and it comes up clear on my vehicle, even though on it's first MOT, there was "misting" on my shocks, but not enough (yet) for them to change them under warranty. They did say when they get worse, they will be replaced under warranty.

Should I be insisting that they change them now ?

I did also notice just today a squeaking noise of some kind coming from the rear of the car. I emptied EVERYTHING out of my boot and sat in the rear seat whilst my wife drove me round the bend :dontgetit: whilst I was listening for the source. Sounds like it's coming from the left rear corner area !!!

Sooner rather than later, I'll take it to Mr T, as I cannot stand rattles and squeakes inside the car.

A TSB is a Technical service bulletin and it advises a dealer of a known potential issue and how to proceed with the correct repair method. It is not a recall nor is it an automatic allowance to have a repair done, if you car is in warranty and exibits the faults mentioned then the repair will be under warranty, if your car is out of warranty then you will have to pay

In your case the TSB reference is: CP-0111T-1211 and describes:

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may explain that there is a knocking noise and/or oil leakage coming from the front or rear shock
absorbers. This is due to dust ingress via the oil seal caused by a reduction of the sealing performance.
The phenomenon might occur when the vehicle is frequently used on rough roads during cold ambient conditions.
PRODUCTION CHANGE
The production process of the shock absorber has been changed to raise the level of the sealing performance
during cold ambient conditions
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. In case the knocking noise and/or oil leakage is coming from one of the front shock absorbers:
Replace the “absorber assy, shock, front RH” AND the “absorber assy, shock, front LH” by the current part
number according to the repair manual.
2. In case the knocking noise and/or oil leakage is coming from one of the rear shock absorbers:
Replace the “absorber assy, shock, rear RH” AND the “absorber assy, shock, rear LH” by the current part
number according to the repair manual.
Note:
Always replace both shock absorbers on one axle at the same time.

I had to replace all 4 shocks on mine at just over 3 years/55kmiles. Ride was noticeably harsh over bumps etc. got them off partsking for around £80 quid a shock I think. Misting quite bad on 3 of them . Replaced the 4th as I would never leave 1 old and fit 3 new.

In my days in the garage we would never,never change one shock or spring on the same pair of wheels.

Does this still hold true ?

Edit Answered before I could post

Thanks, this will be useful when I talk to my local Mr T service dept.

The nearest thing to off road that my car has done is avoiding the pot holes in the road in and around the Wokingham/Reading area.

It's dreadful that this is happening to a so called "soft" 4x4 when it has only been on the normal highways. Dread to think what the car would be like if I did use it for off road !!!