Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Burning Smell Clutch Or Cat

jabalczar

Hello,

Just had my catalytic convertor stolen while parked up in Ealing. Had it replaced at the dealers (£1400). Now I've got a burning smell, a very strong burning smell when doing clutch work (such as when moving into tight space). There's no slipping.

I'm assuming the fact that the burning smell is happening after the cat (and front box) were fitted is just a coincidence, and it's actually the clutch?

And that there's no possibility of the clutch somehow being damaged when they fitted the cat?

I face a dilemma because I have a Toyota extended warranty. The dealer is 'friendly' but if they can't do it under warranty (due to wear and tear) the cost is £1900 for the clutch and DMF, versus £1100 for a LUK clutch and DMF at an independent place.

But if the independent place finds anything else wrong (or causing it) then that wouldn't be covered, whereas it probably would be at Toyota, and 'possibly' the whole lot would be covered by my warranty if the dealer can push it through.

Car a is 2007 Avensis 2.2 D-4D.

Any thoughts on the above?

And also anyone have any thoughts if my DMF might be ok if I've just got a burning smell and no slipping?

Cheers.

To be honest that's a very good and obvious suggestion.

I didn't consider it (sometimes we don't see the things right in front of our faces) because I was so worked up at paying 2K for a clutch.

Still convinced it is the clutch, but I will nevertheless, take it back for once over.

New exhaust parts are often coated in a 'shelic' type of covering, a varnish if you like and it might just be that burning off, as previously mentioned take the car to be checked by the dealer for a 100% appraisal.

Regards Mike169

I had a Cat Stolen off a 2010 Ford Ranger last year.....Quoted mega money for a Ford replacement so I got a non OEM ...cost about £550 - did the job!

The smell of overheated clutch is the same like the smell of overheated brakes. The DMF does not smell. If it is faulty you would hear claniking noise (not necessary) at idle and vibrations/shuddering during clutch engagement.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links